Author Topic: P-51 Mustang and Derivates Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 141593 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: P-51 Mustang and Derivates Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
Random idea:  early P-51A or P-51B as RN FAA carrier fighter instead of Seafire.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2013, 01:38:13 PM »
Random idea:  early P-51A or P-51B as RN FAA carrier fighter instead of Seafire.
But configure the wing for 20mm cannon, such as used on the Mustang IA/P-51.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2013, 05:50:49 AM »
P-51B 2-seater ......
    pics here http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1367025970/This+P51+landed+today+at+Burbank+Airport.+Two+seater%21%21

Cleaner conversion than the war-waery ones converted to squadron hacks during WW II.  Debden Eagles has some good pictures and I believe one of the Czech conversion companies produces a new fuselage for this one.  I'm thinking of mod'ing one as a night fighter, much as the 4th Fighter Group modified a P-51D (again, that same book has a picture of this one and it is the only place I've found it).

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2013, 07:21:41 AM »
As per back around Reply#38

Offline tsrjoe

• Has been volunteered... for something...
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2013, 06:19:05 PM »
some really neat Twin Mustang schemes profiled by John Lacey 'maverick' ...

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2014, 02:27:36 PM »
A step back to Allison

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2014, 05:30:40 AM »
Interesting pic:

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #108 on: June 01, 2014, 07:14:34 AM »
This is something I've been working on lately,  it'll have tricycle undercarriage  -----

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2014, 07:35:29 AM »
This is something I've been working on lately,  it'll have tricycle undercarriage  -----
Robert, what are you going to use for your nose gear?  I have been stumped on what to use for a similar project involving a ModelCraft F-82 Twin Mustang that would be built as a slightly larger Mustang using just one set of the fuselage parts.  The inside of each fuselage half has slots for the horizontal stabilizers and I figured that was one option but the desire to have a tricycle landing gear arrangement with nose gear has me stalled. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2014, 07:54:45 AM »
I'm using an F-86 nose gear and wheel Jeff, the fuselage I'm using is an F-51H which has a slimmed down cowling.  I'm making a bulged lower half to the cowling to accommodate the u/c out of an F-84F nose wheel bay.  The wing, although almost a dead ringer for a Mustang wing, isn't one ---  ;)  I've also gone with a smaller diameter prop just to make sure I have enough ground clearance, I'm using prop blades from the rear set of a Spitfire contra-prop
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:59:56 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
I'm using an F-86 nose gear and wheel Jeff, the fuselage I'm using is an F-51H which has a slimmed down cowling.  I'm making a bulged lower half to the cowling to accommodate the u/c out of an F-84F nose wheel bay.  The wing, although almost a dead ringer for a Mustang wing, isn't one ---  ;)  I've also gone with a smaller diameter prop just to make sure I have enough ground clearance, I'm using prop blades from the rear set of a Spitfire contra-prop
Thanks for the guidance Robert, had not thought through far enough I suppose.  The smaller diameter propeller blades are a great idea.  The True Details PV1 Ventura Hamilton Standard propellers are already of a shorter length with that signature paddle blade and that would get you six blade to use on a different propeller hub/spinner. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2014, 08:27:06 AM »
My idea is that Cavalier has a third go at trying to get an order from the USAF, figuring that tail-draggers just don't cut the mustard so decided to do a tricycle u/c job.

Here you can see the new underside of the cowling and how I've extended it under the wing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 08:32:14 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »
Just a thought, would the wing and nose gear bay of a T-28 work toward making a tri-gear P-51?  I could see NAA, or Cavalier, working with what was readily available.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2014, 09:54:12 AM »
I don't know Evan, I don't have a T-28 to work with.  The wing I'm using comes from a Short Tucano which seems to have the spars in the same place as the F-51H wing.  The chord is slightly shorter on the Tucano wing but my story is Cavalier designed an advanced wing for their new project.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:57:36 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
I don't know Evan, I don't have a T-28 to work with.  The wing I'm using comes from a Short Tucano which seems to have the spars in the same place as the F-51H wing.  The chord is slightly shorter on the Tucano wing but my story is Cavalier designed an advanced wing for their new project.
*chuckle* Then I'll need to try this one on my own.  It could make for an interesting effort.  Need to buy another 1/72 T-28, though.  The one I have is destined to make an AT-28F.

« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2014, 09:02:33 PM »
Interesting pic:

According to http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/165/3/17 this Mustang went on USN trials aboard carrier CV-38 USS Shangri-La in 1944.

Second profile is a what-if a Mustang entered USN service. Both profiles are work of french illustrator Gaetan Marie http://www.gaetanmarie.com/
... and kill me again
or take me as I am,
for I shall not change...
never...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2014, 02:00:46 AM »

According to http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/165/3/17 this Mustang went on USN trials aboard carrier CV-38 USS Shangri-La in 1944.

Yes, I was aware of that - here are a couple of photos of the real aircraft:

And speaking of profiles, here is one by our very own Damian:

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2014, 02:07:41 AM »
If an aircraft was ever begging for a contra-prop it would be that one Greg.  I think I'd like to build one using a Shackleton prop --

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2014, 02:15:44 AM »
You were saying…

BTW, all of these apparently used Shak' spinner/props.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:19:41 AM by GTX_Admin »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2014, 02:16:52 AM »
Yeap! I've got a High Planes kit of Precious Metal Greg, in 1/72 of course    :P

But that is also a Griffon powered Mustang --
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:21:51 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2014, 03:37:04 AM »
Regarding carrier-based Mustangs, how about a carrier-based Twin-Mustang with wing fold just outboard of the nacelles and main landing gear trunnions?

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2014, 05:45:57 AM »
A question comes to mind for that Evan, where would you put the arrester hook ?  Can an aircraft use 'two' hooks at the same time if it had two

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2014, 10:14:54 AM »
Well, now, I think you'd only want one, perhaps on a central nacelle, somewhat like the navalized P-38 proposals?  I'm thinking two hooks, that far apart, could engage separately and induce some major loads into the airframe.  Probably another reason a navalized P-82 wasn't given much consideration.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2014, 10:22:12 AM »
A question comes to mind for that Evan, where would you put the arrester hook ?  Can an aircraft use 'two' hooks at the same time if it had two

And if one hook breaks?  The asymmetrical loads would rip the other hook off and spin the aircraft round.  With a twin-Mustang, the best place would attached forwards, just behind the centre wing, attached to the fuselage on either side.  It would have to be obviously a wide, V-shaped one which was also quite long, to reach down below the main under-carriage legs.