Author Topic: 1/144 A-46 Hedgehog ground attack jet  (Read 6875 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
1/144 A-46 Hedgehog ground attack jet
« on: September 19, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »
Experience early in the Korean conflict convinced the U.S. Air Force of the need for a dedicated ground attack jet with tank-busting capability to destroy the hordes of T-34s which were currently overwhelming U.N. forces on the peninsula. Because the Air Force requirement was for a jet-powered aircraft, then a relatively new technology, North American Aviation decided a tried & true fuselage design would be best.

They mated their famous B-25 Mitchell fuselage & twin tail with an entirely new broader wing which not only enhanced low-altitude performance, but could also carry a potent bomb load. The most unique feature of the ground attack prototype were the power plants, twin jet engines mounted on the mid-upper fuselage. Along with this, North American, in partnership with the Sperry Corp., added a remotely-operated radar-controlled 20 mm tail gun for rear defense.

Another innovation was the multi-barreled 37 mm GAU-X2 rotary cannon mounted where the old 75 mm gun had been in the W.W. II vintage B-25. This weapon packed an enormous punch and absolutely obliterated anything it hit, leaving heavy tanks looking like torn up tin cans in its wake.

The prototype first flew in early 1951 and not only exceeded all expectations in flight trials, it also amazed onlookers by sweeping down to tree-top level at high speed, cutting loose with its GAU-X2 gun. The attack jet's wicked fast low-level performance earned it the nickname Hedgehog, but its official designation was A-46.

It was ordered into immediate production and the first models were sent to Korea to stem the tide of the Communist onslaught. Praise for the Hedgehog was universal among pilots and the troops it saved from previously unstoppable Red T-34s, but the twin jet engines meant double duty for maintenance crews.

The Hedgehog gave sterling performance for the remainder of the Korean conflict, but over-worked mechanics were by now, at the end of their rope. The A-46 would eventually be undone not by enemy action, design defects nor politics, but by collective bargaining. After the end of hostilities in Korea, over-worked ground crews sought and received representation by the International Association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers. The contract signed between the U.S. Air Force and the I.A.M. required the Hedgehog's retirement due to the brutal workload of the two jet engines.

The U.S. Air Force would not field another twin-engine ground attack jet for 20 years until technology improved so the maintenance workload was manageable. Mostly forgotten today, the A-46 Hedgehog's main claim to fame is being the inspiration behind the famous A-10 Thunderbolt II. No A-46s were preserved and all that exists today are these blurry photos taken during their Korean deployment.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 08:36:39 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: 1/144 A-46 Hedgehog ground attack jet
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 08:52:31 PM »
For those of you with long memories, you may recall I recently went on a bit of a 1/144 B-25 jag.

While the venerable Minicraft B-25 Mitchell is hardly a wunderkit, its simplicity is perfect for whiffing purposes. I started by filling in the side gun positions and adding the two engines from an S-3 Viking a good friend sent me a while back.

Next I swapped out the wings with those from a 1/72 T-33 and added small wingtip tanks and under-wing bombs which were swiped from a 1/72 B-36. Then I replaced the tail-gun blister with a radar pod made from sprue. The tail gun itself is a landing gear strut cut to size.

The rotary nose cannon is a recycled machine gun from a 1/72 Nieuport. Lastly, I added a nav. radar/communications blister just behind the cockpit canopy. I don't know how realistic this is, but I like how it looks.

Putting it all together didn't take long, but things got in the way and it was weeks until this bird headed for the paint shop.

The model was brush-painted by hand in acrylics, Model Masters Dark Ghost Gray mostly. Decals were a mix from the decal dungeon, the codes coming from an OV-10 Bronco.

I hope you enjoyed my A-46 Hedgehog and reading a little more forgotten aircraft history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:00:55 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 08:54:54 PM »
Wow Brian!

You took this innocent I-am-so-cute-I-cannot-hurt-anyone creature:

and turned it into a steel eating machine. Nice.

Great idea and build.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:12:35 PM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 10:42:18 PM »
very cool

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 12:21:31 AM »
Nicely done with a better backstory than the similar idea I never got around to doing.

Alvis 3.1

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 04:16:47 AM »
I like this even better than the Black Swan!  Super work!

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 07:09:03 AM »
Just brilliant!!  ;D ;D ;D
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
Gorgeous beastie and delightful, and quite plausible, back story.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 10:16:13 AM »
Looks great!

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 01:48:07 AM »
 :-* Wonderful!
Is this a North American Co airplane like the B-25?

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 12:31:22 PM »
Absolutely inspired, Brian! Wonderful job. The new wings look right, as does the paint scheme. Well done!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 11:56:26 PM »
Brilliant & inspired build to point would like to build one in 1/72  :)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 08:18:26 AM »
Nifty as always!

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 03:31:09 PM »
Love it!

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 01:01:58 AM »
Bloomin marvelous mate, so very convincing you should design real stuff. Airframe and colour scheme go together very well too, top marks.
(and no spats????)
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 03:47:09 PM »
Brian strikes again and no spats this time.  A pleasant surprise and it looks rather dangerous with that cannon sticking out the front :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline deathjester

• 'Remember - Tiredness Kills Hedgehogs...!'
  • His Mother-in-law has Tardis pockets...
    • stormfront models
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 08:31:51 AM »
Awesome mate!  And that cannon did exist, in that time frame, so marks for realism...??? ...
(What the hell am I saying....?!!  :) :))