Author Topic: RW: 1/72 Hawker Typhoon RB396/G-TIFY  (Read 2210 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
RW: 1/72 Hawker Typhoon RB396/G-TIFY
« on: November 19, 2019, 08:06:39 PM »
Hi all,
Currently there are two* airworthy Hawker Typhoon restoration projects underway, one in Canada and one in the UK.

RB396 is being worked on by Airframe Assemblies and ARCo in England and is hoped to be flying by 2024. The aircraft is a combat veteran and will be the star of many an airshow but that's in the future, and we don't even yet know what colours she will wear. But, using Neil Hipkiss' painting Warbird RB396 as a reference, I've built my interpretation of what G-TIFY - the UK civil registration reserved for '396 - might look like on the Duxford flightline.

Airfix 1/72 RB396 by Zac Yates, on Flickr

This is the lovely recent Airfix kit - have I mentioned I love New Airfix? - with the XP-W codes cobbled together from the kit and part of the serial from my spares. I handpainted the Sheila noseart and would have posted the build two weeks ago, but I somehow lost one of the eight RP rails. Fortunately Airfix's spares department sent me a replacement (along with all seven of its brothers...) at no charge so she was finished today.

*OF COURSE I want to build JP843, the Canadian project, I just don't have another kit lying around. But if someone happened to have a spare Airfix A02041A and were feeling generous...  :angel:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: RW: 1/72 Hawker Typhoon RB396/G-TIFY
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 06:41:30 AM »
Nice one, Zac.

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 12:12:24 PM »
Oh, that is nice  :smiley:  Are you going to do JP843 as well, 'zac ?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
Thank you, gents!

Are you going to do JP843 as well, 'zac ?
;)
*OF COURSE I want to build JP843, the Canadian project, I just don't have another kit lying around. But if someone happened to have a spare Airfix A02041A and were feeling generous...  :angel:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 08:00:16 PM »

I can help you out here Zac. I burnt off my last pair of "wings" when the driver in-front of me was driving at 80 KM/h on a 100 KM/h highway. The things I said to him about his parents and ancestors ....  >:D

PM me your address please.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:17:37 PM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 08:42:47 AM »
Good on ya Carl  :smiley:  Looking forward to this  :D
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."