Author Topic: Military Aviation Museum's Me262 replica in 1/72  (Read 1802 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Military Aviation Museum's Me262 replica in 1/72
« on: November 03, 2019, 11:01:48 AM »
It's a complicated story but in the 1990s five Me262 replicas were built in the USA, three of them flyable with modern J85 engines. One of them ended up with the Military Aviation Museum at Virginia Beach, Jerry Yagen's collection of aircraft which includes many rare aircraft which fly. Several of them were restored in New Zealand, including his DH Mosquito, and they get regular outings at airshows like Warbirds Over The Beach.

For some reason I had a craving to build a 262, probably because of following the restoration of the original example of the late Paul Allen's FHCAM, which should fly any day now. This is the new Airfix kit and was great fun to build although I messed up somehow and the wing has much less dihedral than it should - probably due to me not scraping paint from cockpit parts before assembling the fuselage.

Anyway, here is my 1/72 model of N262MF!

Untitled by Zac Yates, on Flickr

Along with online image searches my main reference was Gavin Conroy's superb book Fighters and Bombers, which has a bunch of air-to-air photos of this 262 including one with the Mosquito. I noticed in these photos that there was a folder or ringbinder behind the pilot's head so, just for fun, I replicated this as well  ;)

Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
Re: Military Aviation Museum's Me262 replica in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
very cool

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 09:43:30 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 09:49:08 AM »
Thanks gents  :smiley:
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 06:17:26 PM »
I really like your fuselage stippling, Zac.

This beauty looks ready to take off!

Brian da Basher