Author Topic: LF 1/48 E-2C+ or E-2D Propellers  (Read 9142 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
LF 1/48 E-2C+ or E-2D Propellers
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:46:09 AM »
Hi folks,

Does anyone know if you can buy the 8 bladed propellers from the E-2D (see below) by themselves?  I know you can get them in a Kinetic kit but I wasn't really wanting to buy such a kit just to strip off the propellers - of course, if someone wanted the kit without the propellers, we might be able to deal.

BTW, I am looking for 4 sets of such props.

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: LF 1/48 E-2C+ or E-2D Propellers
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 05:25:13 AM »
Have you tried asking Kinetic themselves Greg ----

Offline youngtiger1

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 07:49:41 AM »
GTX, those are same pops and cone that s used on C-130, so check to see if someone has junk pile of     C-130 to take those from. You might get lucky that way as it's an much much older kit then the E-2. Just a thought.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:34:42 AM »
C-130Js are six bladed.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »
But there is a retrofit program in place to fit the eight-bladed props from the E-2D on early models of the C-130.  However, I don't believe anyone makes that conversion kit - yet.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 11:52:12 AM »
Had not heard of that. It must include T-56 engines. That would cause some head scratching at both airshows and model shows. I suspect you are thinking of building such a beast. 8)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 12:10:01 PM »
Greg,

I posted the question to Kinetic via their FaceBook page.  Will be interesting to see what they have to say. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 04:33:54 PM »
But there is a retrofit program in place to fit the eight-bladed props from the E-2D on early models of the C-130.  However, I don't believe anyone makes that conversion kit - yet.

Indeed there is:

Although that is not what I want my props for...

Offline Kerick

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 08:07:58 PM »
Anything wearing four of those props in 1/48th will be huge! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with those.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 07:02:41 AM »
Reply from Kineticmodel via my FaceBook PM function:

Sorry, we do not sell parts separeately

That Suckz Giant Ball Shapes :(
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 04:42:09 AM »
Hi Greg,

Are still searching those propeller ?
I'm planning the 8 blades C-130 so I do a mold of kinetic C-2A propeller. Those mold are waiting in my club for casting but I don't know when I could see the person who do resin casting (I only go the club one a month due to my job)...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 06:18:13 AM »
There is a 3D printed 8 blade propeller available at Shapeways but the price is horribly expensive and the maker only sells the things as a single item so no price breaks. :(

Links:

1/48 scale Hamilton Standard NP 2000 8 blade composite propeller

1/72 scale Hamilton Standard NP 2000 8 blade composite propeller
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:20:26 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »
There is a 3D printed 8 blade propeller available at Shapeways but the price is horribly expensive and the maker only sells the things as a single item so no price breaks. :(

Links:

What does the finished product look like? How smooth is the surface? Does it look like an injected mold product?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
I don't think when you see the final product pics :

If you want a good surface (without many work on sanding) with Shapeways 3D printing, you have to choose "frosted detail plastic" (ultra or extra) which is not proposed with this propoller  :(

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2016, 04:02:32 AM »

Links:
What does the finished product look like? How smooth is the surface? Does it look like an injected mold product?

My own solution to the problem was to just go and purchase the 1:48th scale Kinetic C-2 Greyhound kit since it included both types of propellers.  I had corresponded with the maker of the HS NP 2000 8-blade composite propellers.  He is reluctant to offer the item in multiples so you are forced to purchase his product one propeller at a time and I am not willing to spend that kind of money.  It was more practical and cheaper for me to just purchase the Kinetic Greyhound kit.  Perhaps sell it without the extra propellers later for a reduced price and still come out ahead on money spent for the purpose of sourcing those damned eight-blade propellers. 

I am not aware of any simple solutions to the problem in 1:72nd scale but there was at one time some very nice resin 1:72nd scale 6-blade propellers available from a modeler by the name of Desmojen from the UK that was in the RAF and working on the C-130J.  I have one set of these propellers in my possession and they are a drop in replacement for the Italeri C-130 kit so they will work for other subjects. 

*** Edit to correct mistake on blade numbers for the Desmojen resin blades for the C-130J.  Thanks to Robert (Kitnut617) for bringing that to my attention.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:14:00 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2016, 07:32:30 AM »
but there was at one time some very nice resin 1:72nd scale 8-blade propellers available from a modeler by the name of Desmojen from the UK that was in the RAF and working on the C-130J.  I have one set of these propellers in my possession and they are a drop in replacement for the Italeri C-130 kit so they will work for other subjects.

Actually Jeff, they're six-blade props (got a set along with the corrected engine nacelles), but IIRC, I think she then sold the masters to one of the aftermarket outfit crowd but I can't remember which one.

EDIT:  desmojen is a lady who's name is Jennifer Wright, and here's who have the masters now; 

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/Reviews/Conversions/AviationWkspCS-68_C-130Jeng.html
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 07:36:25 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
but there was at one time some very nice resin 1:72nd scale 8-blade propellers available from a modeler by the name of Desmojen from the UK that was in the RAF and working on the C-130J.  I have one set of these propellers in my possession and they are a drop in replacement for the Italeri C-130 kit so they will work for other subjects.

Actually Jeff, they're six-blade props (got a set along with the corrected engine nacelles), but IIRC, I think she then sold the masters to one of the aftermarket outfit crowd but I can't remember which one.

EDIT:  desmojen is a lady who's name is Jennifer Wright, and here's who have the masters now; 

http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/pages/Reviews/Conversions/AviationWkspCS-68_C-130Jeng.html

Another source for the six-blade scimitar props in 1/72 is Ozmods. Greg has produced:
- props and nacelles
- exhausts pipes

He also has a prop jig.

His website is here.

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2016, 02:53:26 AM »

Another source for the six-blade scimitar props in 1/72 is Ozmods. Greg has produced:
- props and nacelles
- exhausts pipes

He also has a prop jig.

His website is here.

Greg is a member here - see profile here

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 02:59:23 AM »

- props and nacelles
- exhausts pipes

He also has a prop jig.

His website is here.

Greg is a member here - see profile here

Cool.  Can the two Greg's negotiate a BTS group discount?