Author Topic: Vought V-121  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
Vought V-121
« on: October 03, 2015, 10:50:56 AM »
In late 1934, the USAAC was considering ordering a follow on to it's Douglas O-43 observation aircraft.  Chance Vought saw a chance to break into the Army market and offered it's V-121 Kestrel observation aircraft.  The V-121 was duly designated O-45 and a single prototype was ordered.  Although the Douglas O-46 (a progressive development of the O-43) was very much preferred, legal action by Vought forced a more thorough competition and 13 YO-45s were ordered in 1935.  At the same time, the Army ordered O-46s, being certain that the Douglas aircraft would win the flyoff.  In due time, the Army got its way and the O-45s quickly became surplus.  They were returned to Vought who sold them to Mexico where they remained in service until 1944 on coastal patrol and training duties. 

This was intended to be a simple exercise in using up some of my spare parts bin.  Ended up being more work than I intended.  Fuselage was from 1/72 Vought Kingfisher (Airfix) from which the stub wings had been cutoff, level gaping holes in the fuselage.  These were closed with plastic card, along with the Kingfisher's rear cockpit.  The wings was from a Gloster Gladiator (which became the Gambado).  The Engine cowling was from a Mitsubishi A5M, and the prop from a Curtiss H-16.  I had no horizontal stabilizers in the stash, so I made these from scratch - they are the weak point of the build - and, yes, I know the are crooked.  I don't know how that happened and didn't catch it until after assembly and paint - don't care enough to fix it now!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Vought V-121
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 11:08:36 AM »
Nice
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 12:32:23 PM »
Kingfisher-Gladiator-A5M Claude-Curtiss H-16-scratch built parts-hole filling.
"Ended up being more work than I intended."   Sure, understand, know how that goes.
Nice build, classic kit bashing. :)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 02:36:35 PM »
Interesting invention! :-*

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 05:18:31 AM »
This is one of my favorites of yours so far, Acree!

It all works so magnificently well: the mods that make it resemble the old Douglas O-43, the yellow wings scheme, and those colorful Mexican markings bring this project together and really make it shine!

A real winner in my book all the way!

Brian da Basher

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:55:25 PM »
Thanks!  You gents are too kind.