Author Topic: The BoeCurt Sea Shooter - a Tale of Strange Bedfellows in 1/72 Scale  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash

The Great Depression put great stress on the U.S. aircraft industry. Many firms closed and others had to merge, even Consolidated was consolidated. Boeing and Curtiss were no different and conditions imposed a forced marriage of (in)convenience.

What is known today as corporate branding would of course be an ongoing concern.

Top priority was for the new firm to decide which designs should be kept and moved forward. The most important area was government contracts and Boeing was working on improvements to their P-26 monoplane.

The new BoeCurt company improved on the improvements by further refining the incredibly intimidating spatted landing gear that was the original Peashooter's hallmark.

In addition, the engine was upgraded to a new six-cylinder inverted inline of 670 h.p. While the hide-bound Army Air Corps rejected the design right off the drawing board, it was hoped a Navy contract could be procured so a prototype was constructed. Thus the BoeCurt XF1BC Sea Shooter was born.

A retractable tail hook was added and the air frame strengthened for carrier landings. The prototype fighter was very heavily armed for its day with with two synchronized .50 caliber machine guns mounted on the engine decking and one 14 mm (or in U.S. Navy parlance, a "quarter-pounder") cannon firing through the propeller hub. It was said a single burst could bring down a battleship, never mind that battleships can't fly.

Why any weapons at all would be needed is a mystery as the sheer intimidation factor of the spats alone should have been enough to sweep all enemies from the sky.

The U.S. Navy, on the other hand, was less than impressed. They were just barely accepting replacing the traditional spruce framing with steel tubes, let alone flying cantilever monoplanes with enclosed canopies and spats that would frighten the most seasoned old salt.

After much time, effort and money was spent, this would all come to naught. The Navy would never be satisfied with such a radical concept and one of the New Deal "Alphabet Soup" agencies would finally weigh in.

The fact that the brave U.S. eagle was armed with a clutch of pencils and a roll of red tape did not bode well. Eventually the NIAA and various other bureaucratic letter combinations would be declared incomprehensible after a suit was filed in the 4973rd U.S. Circuit Court. The BoeCurt company would again become its more recognizable component parts and the XF1BC Sea Shooter was shelved indefinitely.

Still, for one brief, shining moment, this revolutionary prototype would be a glimpse into the future of aircraft carrier aircraft.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:20:35 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The BoeCurt Sea Shooter - a Tale of Strange Bedfellows in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 04:06:49 AM »
This all started with the venerable Revell 1/72 Boeing P-26 Peashooter kit.

This is but one of many available boxings. Some of these may look familiar.

For a while now I've been trying to figure out how best to modify this kit into a very streamlined, inline version. A nice resin engine from a Zlin Z242 (thank you, hamsterman!) was a great starting point. Discovering that a canopy saved from a Westland Whirlwind was an excellent fit was a wonderful bonus.

The spats are lovely white-metal after-market items from Aeroclub that are intended for a Gloster Gauntlet. I cut new landing gear struts from card. The prop is from a 1/48 Piper Cub (many thanks, Jeff!). It has a little hole in the front which was just begging for a gun.

The model was painted in acrylics with the antique hairy stick method using Model Masters Gray Primer and Insignia Yellow mostly. The rudder-stripes are also hand-painted and I like that they're a little less than perfect, just like on actual aircraft of that time.

Decals were mostly from the classic Monogram F-11C Goshawk but the wing-walks and BuAer tail number were spares.

I forgot to mention that the guns and tail hook were all made from cast-off landing gear struts. I had to cut a slice off the bottom of the rudder to fit that tail hook. I also extended the tail wheel fairing with another nameless scrap part.

It might help to know that these shots are about 1 1/2 times larger than the actual model. Hopefully that makes me seem to be a better craftsman. Speaking of the photos, here's a few I shot with the flash forced. I thought they were a bit bright but I'll let you be the judge.

I had a lot of fun on this project which I've been working on over the course of the past few days.

I'd like to thank the Usual Suspects for the great input and for convincing me to finish this as a Navy bird.

I hope you enjoyed the BoeCurt XF1BC Sea Shooter and learning a little more history that's not in the textbooks.

Brian da Basher

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 04:43:58 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 04:38:30 AM »
You done it again Brian  :)
Another one that eluded my reading. 
Speculation -- With Boeing F4B and Grumman F3F US Navy was probably feeling advanced enough and not ready to risk the radical monoplane Sea Shooter in carrier operations.
Internet search of "NIAA" returns other things but no mention of National Industrial Amalgamation Authority,,, Hmmm.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 04:52:27 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 05:27:12 AM »
Brian strikes again!  Great work and back story as usual.  Glad you opted for Naval Aviation this time around.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 09:16:10 AM »
You are a wonder Mr DaBasher!! :) :) great build!! :) :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 01:17:39 PM »
Brilliant job on NIAA logo :)
Is so apropos to current government bureaucracy.

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 10:40:06 PM »
Absolutely love your Sea Shooter, very nicely done.  And the backstory and red tape and all are just fantastic!  Thanks for making my day  :)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
Nice! ;)

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 11:21:21 AM »
Couldn't even tell this was a peashooter with the engine and new spats. Really cool!! What a change
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher