Author Topic: HobbyBoss 1/35 T-18/MS-1 Mod. 1927 tank  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
HobbyBoss 1/35 T-18/MS-1 Mod. 1927 tank
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:18:48 AM »
I've always liked early Soviet tanks, and this was the first. I tried building the unbuildable AER/Eastern Express version and ended up using it for parts. This HobbyBoss kit is pretty nice and unlike most HB kits, it's not over-engineered. This kit was built OOB, except for a rudimentary interior (which I didn't photograph). It's been sitting on my bench for months, waiting only for the tracks. I did a big push over the weekend and got the tracks done. The headlight is aftermarket as well.

The driver is from Miniart. I think this uniform wasn't in use in 1927.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: HobbyBoss 1/35 T-18/MS-1 Mod. 1927 tank
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:55:47 AM »
Including the figure certainly helps in establishing just how small early armored vehicles were at the time. 

Nice base and model.  Keeping it simple and uncomplicated really makes a difference. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:28:24 AM »
That's outstanding, Frank! Your talent is as limitless as those steppes the driver seems to be peering off into.

I can see the appeal of early Soviet tanks. This one's a real looker and brings to mind a well-muscled Renault.

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 12:24:27 PM »
Thanks guys - The T-18 was based on a variant of the Renault FT (FT-17) from WWI, so the similarities are real.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 02:22:11 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:52:49 AM »
 Very nice build, but the groundwork is incredible.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 11:13:07 AM »
Thanks, Craig.
 The groundwork is a mat made/repackaged by Mig: http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/amm8351.htm

This is probably a train modeler's diorama base cut to size. Just saw the current price - it's double what I paid. Maybe looking for the train modeler material would be cheaper!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 08:18:51 AM »
 I didn't know that MiG was repackaging things, but I have heard they are expensive. I do know that some of the most useful things I've found for scratch/bash work have been some Walter railroad sets. Three or four good sized sprues for eight to ten dollars US. ( Their roof top ventilators and heating/cooling  set has a wealth
of radiators, for instance. )

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »
very nice

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 08:56:55 AM »
I didn't know that MiG was repackaging things, but I have heard they are expensive. I do know that some of the most useful things I've found for scratch/bash work have been some Walter railroad sets. Three or four good sized sprues for eight to ten dollars US. ( Their roof top ventilators and heating/cooling  set has a wealth
of radiators, for instance. )

That's good to know - They sell (or sold) Solvaset as well and probably sell these diorama mats. The last time I looked picking out the right type was confusing because of the different terminology. The MiG stuff was cheap... not any more!