Author Topic: CAC CA-14B Sea Wallaby  (Read 14155 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: CAC CA-14A Sea Wallaby
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
Thanks, Frank! :D

The wings are into their 2nd round of PSR - putty is on & drying. ;)

The biggest problem with the wings, apart from where the Fw.190's main gear wells were, is some deformation caused by excessive use of liquid styrene to fix the reinforcing rods for the join in place.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2020, 09:05:55 AM »
If everything goes to plan, I think you may be right regarding her looks - but, then, you did create the inspiration! ;)

"Yeah, but it's what you do with it."  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2020, 08:34:49 PM »
Cockpit ... I was ready to throw this against the wall at one point.

The instructions are weak on location of parts, there are (again & obviously) no locating pins, parts placement is (as designed) poor & they don't actually fit into the space provided. I, quite literally, had to pull the cockpit apart, find the best photo's of Boomerangs undergoing restoration that I could (none of them had a decent image of the left side of the cockpit from the inside/right, so that is half-guesswork) & rebuild it based on the photo's. There are no transfers/decals for any of the instrument panels & most of the colour call-outs for the control levers are either questionable or outright wrong. I didn't bother fixing up the incorrect lever colours but I cut up the Fw.190 cockpit control panels decals into individual instruments & used them to populate the Boomerang panels as best I could.

The seat harness is a pre-painted Eduard (I think?) PE set - the kit comes with a very similar, but unpainted, PE harness.

Here are the photo's of the salvaged item; the inside walls of the fuselage show where parts were removed & moved into the cockpit , where they were meant to be, but they're, luckily, pretty much unseen once the sides are together.

End result isn't disgusting but not as good as I'd have liked. Now I just have to insert some clear parts & fit the cockpit into the centre fuselage section as I put it together.

Yay! :icon_crap:

Thanks for following along! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2020, 01:09:16 AM »
The cockpit looks good - realistically well used without being over-weathered.

Why is it that cockpits rarely fit well? Especially in Eastern European kits?

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2020, 01:21:31 AM »
Thanks, Frank! :D

Don't ask me! I've just come to the conclusion that, when I build the other Boomerang in the stash as a RW example, I'm pretty much going to have to build a fair chunk of the cockpit from scratch! :o

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2020, 02:04:31 AM »
Mmmm shaping up nicely  :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2020, 06:47:22 AM »
Must be a thing with Boomerang Kits. I am sure I have read that some of the 1/48 kits have the same issue with the gubbins not fitting the actual fuselage mouldings.

Still, this is looking nice

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2020, 03:10:52 PM »
@ BT: This is the Special Hobby's 1/48 Boomerang. I haven't looked at the Tasman Models version, though I seem to remember you need to supply certain parts from other sources for that one.

Thanks, heaps, guys! :icon_alabanza:

Next steps taken. Pic's for your perusal:

Much more work to be done, yet, but, while I wait for putty to dry during the PSR sessions, I can start putting the engine together.

Once again: Thanks for watching! :smiley:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:15:22 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2020, 05:13:27 PM »
Watching.. I am bloody intrigued !!

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2020, 05:19:05 PM »
You & me, both, mate! ;D

I'm flying by the seat of my pants, here, using apophenia's profile as inspiration for each move. :o

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2020, 01:21:38 AM »
I’m loving the wing brace/reinforcement between the two wings. That gap on the fuselage side looks daunting. Are you going to use Aves exclusively or Aves over some styrene reinforcement?

Offline Robomog

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2020, 07:01:37 PM »
That is one really awkward joint, good luck with that one !

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2020, 07:25:58 PM »
Hull gap was filled with;

1. Liquid styrene,
2. Aves Apoxy Sculpt,
3. Tamiya white putty, &
4. Perfect Plastic Putty.

That was done last night, some time before 0300hrs, my time.

Then, tonight whilst I was having dinner, the model fell from the desk onto the floor & cracked not the fuselage join but the (I thought) much stronger tail join, which I filled with CA glue.

I blame Frank for the latter, the plane obviously decided to test itself!

Anyway, I shot a coat of primer over it & there are still a few rough patches but here are the progress shots ... well ... because:

Thanks for your continued support! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2020, 03:02:51 AM »
The fuselage fix looks flawless!

CA glue is evil. I only use it in small amounts or mixed with talcum powder.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2020, 05:19:08 AM »
... the model fell from the desk onto the floor...

Are you a cat owner?  ::)

Evil felines aside, the fuselage fill looks amazing!  :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2020, 02:36:45 PM »
Thanks heaps, gents! :icon_alabanza:

Not going to blame my cat (or the dogs) because I'm sure it was a simple case of carelessness on my part, with the build being less than securely placed on a stable surcace

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
Figuring and doing with white plastic is good "how to" example.  :smiley:  Melding of the two types will only be detected by a subject matter expert.  It would go undetected by me.  :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2020, 08:16:41 PM »
Thank you, Bill! :icon_alabanza:

Hopefully it stays strong. ;)

Offline Robomog

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2020, 08:53:26 PM »
PSR WIN !

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline apophenia

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2020, 11:56:38 AM »
PSR WIN !

Absolutely!

... Not going to blame my cat (or the dogs) because I'm sure it was a simple case of carelessness on my part...

See, that's just what your cat wants you to believe!

Watch him/her carefully. Is the felid looking calm? Grooming itself? Snoozing? All sure signs that 'Snoogums' is the real culprit here  >:D

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »
So true!!  Our cats have mastered the art of looking innocent after they've done something.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2020, 01:45:50 PM »
Guys, I know how precarious the balance was. ;D

I'm not going to blame the cat for my own stupidity. If one can't own up to making stupid errors, they're probably the only kind one makes! ;)

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2020, 08:56:08 AM »
Fantastic kitbashing skills!  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2020, 08:59:40 AM »
Damn fine work 8)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2020, 10:42:26 AM »
...If one can't own up to making stupid errors, they're probably the only kind one makes! ;)

;D ;D

Of course, this still leaves a minor mystery. Poor placement may well explain the model's death-wish. But we still don't know what else the cat was up to at the time...  ::)