Author Topic: Matthews Aviation Art  (Read 57812 times)

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
Re: Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2018, 01:26:22 PM »
Oh, that is handsome  :smiley: At risk of sounding obsessed with petal nozzles, that rear view shows off the exhaust to perfection  :-*

Thank you so very much!  I modeled them separately since, at full chat, they extend a bit to allow for the exhaust in afterburner.  And when it's parked, the lower one drops down due to lack of hydraulic pressure (in case I want to model it gear down and parked).  Now that it's in Vue I'll have to work on getting the anisotropic values set correctly for the bare metal on the petals so they look appropriately steely. 

Texturing a model is a bit different in Vue than 3DS.  I'm still bugged by Vue tearing my mapping at the intakes and the roots of the horizontal stabilizers.  It's a mystery to me as to why it's doing that in Vue, but looks completely fine in 3DS.  I'm bouncing things off someone from E-on Software's support team at the moment.  Unfortunately, info turn-around is slow since they're in Europe and I'm in the midwest US.  It'll get sorted-out though, even if I have to resort to re-doing the UVW mapping and re-painting the fuselage (which I'm hoping to avoid since getting the camo to line-up is tedious).  We'll see what happens.  Thanks again.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2018, 01:03:16 AM »
After sending all of my files regarding this project to Vue support the problem was "resolved".  I say that in quotes since I'm not quite sure what happened to solve this.  Vue support (who have been very responsive and helpful, by the way) unchecked and rechecked a couple boxes I had unchecked and rechecked numerous times myself, and that is apparently what solved the texture map tearing issue.  However, I'm no closer to knowing what happened so I can correct or prevent it in the future.  So, it's resolved, but I have to admit to being just a bit frustrated and confused since I don't know what the root cause was.  We're still exchanging emails, so hopefully they'll present this to their programmers for a look.  One thing I wonder about is whether a recent update to the software may have anything to do with the results here.  I can't patch my software because E-On's website has been down for several weeks.  So, now I'm wondering whether it's an improvement in the update that lead to the positive outcome here.  I'll post a couple images after I tweak some settings. 

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2018, 01:03:11 PM »
Any chance of seeing those F-105's in Euro One or "Asia Minor" camouflage schemes?

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2018, 02:49:58 PM »
Any chance of seeing those F-105's in Euro One or "Asia Minor" camouflage schemes?

Perhaps, when time permits.  I could do either/both.  I'm trying to get the SEA camo finished now.  Panel lines, weathering, insignias and markings just for one generic representation of an F-105D that might have flown in SEA.  After I get all that done I should be able to move on to more specific markings that depict someone's actual aircraft.  Both of those camo patterns are pretty neat though, so I imagine I'll write those down as a reminder to do them.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2018, 01:01:28 PM »
Thanks.  I am particularly wanting to do one in the Asia Minor/desert scheme with the WS tail code, operating from a Wheelus AFB that was never turned over to Libya (i.e. the US supported the base commander, "Chappie" James, in not turning it over, or offering to turn it over solely in the condition it was in before the US built it).

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2018, 10:19:03 AM »
The camouflage has a few spots that need to be aligned.  I've started the panel lines, too.  Also tinkering with lighting.  Here's three at the end of the day...

Hope everyone had a fun weekend.  I'll post more this week.

-Cheers!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2018, 05:59:25 AM »
Hello chaps!  Moving right along with texturing, and I've also been tweaking the atmosphere and lighting settings.  I'm setting this first plane as Col. Vic Vizcarra's F-105D, "Pussy Galore II".  This is one of the test images I made yesterday after modifying the lighting settings in Vue Studio.  I'm trying to bring up the ambient light level and maintain good shadows and contrast.  As you can see, there are areas where less ambient light creates areas which are to dark.  Still experimenting, which is the fun part.

I'm working on fuselage panel lines and markings.  Panel lines are always somewhat time consuming since they, like the camouflage, always have to line-up from one part of the texture map to the other.  The various markings are a lot easier.

More later!

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2018, 05:42:20 AM »
Turns out I had the green camouflage colors flipped.  That's been corrected since my last post.  And I've began adding more panel lines and markings to the plane...

I can't decide just how many markings to add to this.  The 105 suffered a horrendous rate of attrition and nearly half of the "D" models (I believe) were destroyed in action.  As damage was repaired sometimes markings were removed, painted-over, or omitted entirely with just the most important ones being left on the plane.

And there are a ton of markings, most of which are quite small, but enhance the level of detail greatly.  Fortunately, someone I know (who's assisted in the restoration of one of these), gave me a set of large format copies of Republic's technical drawings which specify all of the markings that go on this and on the "F" and "G" model as well.  I'm starting to refer to those drawings now since there aren't enough images available via the Internet to do the job.

Here's a shot for Apophenia because... exhaust petals! (Ha!)

I'm working on panel lines on the starboard side right now.  Also beginning to develop terrain for the background.  What you're looking at in these renders is just a generic "grass" terrain texture.  The one I'm going to do will have mode details (think tree lines, different patches of colors in the fields, etc.).  More soon!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
Those exhaust petals look fantastic. But so too do the panels lines ... see, I'm not totally obsessed with shapely hind-quarters  ;)

And amazing what a tonal difference flopping the FS34102 and FA34079 greens makes.  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2018, 08:31:40 AM »
Hello all!  Just a few update images on the F-105 project and my client's MiG-23.  The modeling of the MiG-23 3D object was finished...

and then my client asked for the wings to be swept back just half way (...sound of sad trombones playing).  No big deal...

This is collapsed, but I haven't started cutting apart the canopy glazing or frame yet.  With the wings partially back, as requested, I'm hoping I can move onto getting the camo pattern started after I pull the UV maps.  With any luck I can have all the UV mapping done by Monday evening.

The paint on the F-105 is getting weathered...

With the panel lines and rivets/fasteners completed I could begin creating a sort of grungy appearance around them.  Then I checked-in with F-105 maintainers on Facebook to ask what happens to an F-105's appearance in wartime conditions.  I mean, we see images taken during that era, but I always thought the appearance of the planes in those photos belied just how rode-hard-and-put-away-wet they really looked.  I got no shortage of responses, all for which I was thankful.  Lots of info regarding areas of "normal" wear, and why.  So, I started incorporating that into the weathering of the plane. Bit by bit I worked my way from the nose to the tail until the fuselage looked appropriately chipped-at by the environment, maintainers, etc. 

It's slow going.  There isn't a button to click labeled "paint chips".  Ha!  Everything done one panel at a time, or groups of panels if I'm just doing general scuffing on the fuselage panels.  By the time I'm done it will definitely look as though it's been out-and-back a few times.  Mind you, I'm only finished with the half of the fuselage you can see.  The starboard side still needs to be done, as do the stabilizers and the wings.

Everyone have a great weekend!  More later!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2018, 02:40:07 PM »
That F-105 is beautiful! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2018, 07:36:16 PM »
That F-105 is beautiful!

Thank you, Jeffrey!  The 105 has taken waaaaay too long to finish.  I'm working on it and my client's MiGs now (105 one day, MiG the next) trying to get the texturing on the plane finished so I can also work on a pilot and scenery.  More to come!  :D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2018, 02:29:46 AM »
Looking good. Keen to hear more about your client's project.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2018, 04:48:20 AM »
Looking good. Keen to hear more about your client's project.

I am, too.  He writes, I just illustrate.  Ha!

After today's work on the 105 I had to make one rendering to see what a four ship formation would look like:

Don't look too closely.  They're all the same plane, just cloned so I could see what this might look like with a simple terrain texture without any clouds.  There are so many more stencils that have to be painted on the object, but the weathering of the paint is pretty much done.  I'll have to focus on modeling drop tanks and ordinance now.  For now, though, I have to start working again on the texture maps for my client's MiG-23.

More later.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #139 on: February 20, 2018, 07:38:18 AM »
Looks excellent! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2018, 07:58:57 AM »

It does indeed! Especially the weathering  :smiley:

... There isn't a button to click labeled "paint chips"...

Hmm... I wonder how Adobe Support would response to a suggestion for a 'paint chip' Photoshop plug-in/extension?
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2018, 11:49:49 AM »

It does indeed! Especially the weathering  :smiley:

... There isn't a button to click labeled "paint chips"...

Hmm... I wonder how Adobe Support would response to a suggestion for a 'paint chip' Photoshop plug-in/extension?

Thanks very much Old Wombat and Apophenia!   :D   

Oh, why bother Adobe when I can just wear out a mouse button by clicking randomly with the eraser on everything?  Ha! 

I still want to vary the color values of some of the fuselage panels to suggest panel replacement by maintainers.  I also noticed a set of panel lines I'm going to have to fix, but that'll be for another day.  Forgot to chip away at the paint on the horizontal stabilizers, too.  You can see the paint weathering a bit better in this image:

I may have to tone down the metal bits somewhat.  And looking at this particular image I'll have to dull down the leading edge weathering on the wings.  Oh well, enough work on this for one day.  I did manage to get the material IDs set-up on my client's MiG-23 this evening.  So, I can start getting the UV mapping done in the morning on that one.   

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2018, 01:32:28 AM »
Are you going to add pilots?

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2018, 03:41:54 AM »
^^^^^
OUI ;)

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2018, 03:42:44 AM »
Neat illustrations indeed!
 :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »
Are you going to add pilots?

LOL!  That's in the works  :D:

This is Clyde Mk. II. 

This is Clyde Mk I:

The first Clyde was very low detail.  Since he'd only be seen from several hundred feet away, and really most of the time only from about the shoulders up, I only made him as detailed as I thought he needed to be.  He also had clothing and gear more appropriate for a pilot of the 50s and wasn't very well "rigged" for movement.  Clyde Mk. II will be a bit more detailed, "wear" survival gear more appropriate to that issued during the 60's, and will be fully rigged (for example, when he turns his head his helmet/mask/air hose, will follow that movement).  I started on him prior to the F-105, but then dived into my commissioned work.  So, both went on the back burner.  After I create the drop tanks and ordinance for the 105, then it'll be time to finish work on Clyde.  Should be interesting work since I don't do character figures really.

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2018, 01:58:11 PM »
Neat illustrations indeed!
 :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Thank you so much! 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2018, 02:14:44 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline john_matthews129

• IS the Thunderchief!
    • Matthews Aviation Art
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »
Been quite a while, but I wanted to share the MiG-23 just finished for my client:

I've been trying to finish this while also assisting with home renovations, mounds of work at my "day job", a job search, and my boys' baseball season.  Yeeesh!  Anyway, this is finished now and I'm moving on to the next requested plane, a Tu-16 Badger.  The Badger will be outfitted for anti-shipping duties and will be finished in bare metal once completed.  Stay tuned and, as always, thanks for looking!

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2018, 10:01:37 PM »
That's lovely work, well done!

Cheers,

Logan