Author Topic: The Curtiss SNAC (ex-F12C4) - a Bermuda Tale in 1/72 scale  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
The Curtiss SNAC (ex-F12C4) - a Bermuda Tale in 1/72 scale
« on: November 28, 2016, 06:08:24 AM »

Six months after entering service, the Grumman F4F Wildcat started suffering mysterious, explosive engine problems which shot parts out through the side of the air frame.

The affected F4Fs were sent back to the Grumman factory to determine root cause and hopefully effect repairs.

It turned out the trouble was due to catastrophic crank shaft rocker balancer failure. This was because the parts were contracted out on the cheap and made from sub-standard materials. Eventually all Wildcats were declared No Longer Airworthy. If not for a navalized version of the Curtiss P-36 officially known as the F12C4, the U.S. Navy would be in dire straits indeed.

The Navy showed only lukewarm interest in the F12C4 and Curtiss was pinning their hopes on export sales, Britain being seen as a likely customer.

The Wildcat grounding changed all that. As the F12C4 had been in limited trials, fortunately it was fairly easy to ramp up production to compensate for the missing F4Fs. The Curtiss F12C4 would go on to bear the brunt of U.S. Navy air combat early in the Pacific war.

Eventually, Grumman figured out a fix but this involved a complete re-design of the F4F into what became known as the F6F. Unfortunately, the new Hellcats had teething problems.

However, by 1943, all the bugs had been ironed out and the Grumman F6F replaced the F12C4 in front-line service. The obsolescent Curtiss fighters were re-purposed as advanced trainers, now called the SNAC which is U.S. Navalese for Scout Trainer, Advanced, Curtiss.

The aircraft became ubiquitous at Navy training fields nationwide. Many a rumpled group of pilot trainees were admonished on the flight line to "Get with it! It's SNAC time!"

One of these units was Advanced Training Squadron 4036 based at N.A.S. Cow Creek near Daytona Beach, Florida.

Over-water training flights for navigation were common. Curtiss SNACs were often seen heading out over the vast expanse of the Atlantic. These ops were carefully planned so the student pilots would steer clear of any trouble.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to account for all contingencies. In November, 1943 a training flight of SNACs from N.A.S. Cow Creek ventured into the unknown.

Weather was clear during the flight but radio contact was lost 40 minutes in as the SNACs crossed the 12-mile limit.
Not a peep was heard from the flight which was posted as missing after two hours. Search-and-Rescue were alerted.

Normally, two hours plus was at the edge of the SNAC's endurance, but these aircraft were equipped with auxiliary belly tanks. The extra fuel greatly extended their range.

Just when the SAR aircraft were mid-way through the first leg of their search patterns, the training flight returned to base.

The SNACs' radios and compasses were all found to be inoperable as was their direction-finding equipment. Initially, the base commander was tempted to charge the trainees for going AWOL, but press coverage put the kibosh on that.

Thus the Bermuda Octagonal phenomena was born. The Navy re-routed all but essential traffic away from the area and only a few more strange incidents were reported during the war, mostly concerning navigation aids behaving badly.

These strange incidents would occur with decreasing frequency over the years. While the Bermuda Triangle mystery became a cultural touchstone of the 1970s...

...the Bermuda Octagonal was mostly forgotten.

Very little of the Curtiss SNAC survives today, save for this 1/72 scale model and the fading memories of a few student pilots who have been unable to officially account for their exact whereabouts on that November afternoon in 1943.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 10:35:58 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Curtiss SNAC (ex-F12C4) - a Bermuda Tale in 1/72 scale
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 06:47:59 AM »
This all began with a venerable 1/72 Monogram P-36 I picked up on the cheap recently. Your box art may vary.

As you may know, I just love the Curtiss P-36. It's one of the quintessential pre-war fighters in my view and I'm always looking to do something different with one. In this case, I knew I wanted to navalize it, which started by adding a retractable tail hook and fairing made from sprue & spare parts.

Then I discovered a spare F4F Wildcat windscreen was an outstanding fit and gave this bird the Navy attitude I was after. The only other mod was adding the drop-tank and bits of sprue to the landing gear. Here's how it all looked after paint.

Speaking of paint, acrylics were applied with an old hairy stick, Poly Scale Prussian Blue (upper) and RAAF Sky Blue (under) mostly. The canopy was tinted with Model Masters RLM Lichtblau and Poly Scale Weyerhaeuser Green was used on the inner cowl, etc. mimicking the famous zinc chromate.

The guns were painted with Model Masters Gun Metal (what else?) as were the engine cylinders, detail picked out with Aluminum which was also used on the prop hub along with Flat Black on the blades and some Insignia Yellow on the tips.

Decals were a mix. The red-surround 1943 markings are from a sheet for a Heller P-39. The fuselage 8s were nipped from an Airfix P-40 sheet and the tail number was from a P-47. Nose code 8 was from spares.

The cockpit placard and Plate C hatch marking are from Penn Central rail road decals. Sometimes it pays to do a deep dive into the decal stash if what you need isn't found among the usual suspects.

The model took me a week from start to finish.

This was one of the most relaxing builds I've done in a while and it was an absolute pleasure all the way.

I'd like to thank Bill for inspiring this by suggesting I do something in that lovely U.S. Navy mid-blue color.

Speaking of color, you might find these shots interesting as they were taken without the flash which changes the shade a bit.

The real-life "living room" appearance is somewhere between the dark and light photos, but the light ones are a bit closer as my Mk. I eyeball sees it.

Here's a couple of profile shots that show off the belly tank nicely.

I wish I could remember where that aux. fuel tank came from. Still, as I'd never seen one on a P-36, adding it was a no-brainer.

Should you find yourself in the vicinity of the Bermuda Octagonal, please be careful. While it's now forgotten, it's not gone and caution is advised.

I hope you enjoyed the Curtiss SNAC and reading a little more overlooked aviation history.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:17:22 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 08:50:11 AM »
Really. :icon_surprised:
Never read about the F12C4 or Bermuda Octagonal.  Always things to learn.
Looks like what one would expect naval P-36 to be.  They carried blue well !
Another good build. :)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
Good! And thanks for the painted canopy (like I do while far better with you...) ;)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:09:13 AM »
It does look good in blue, doesn't it? And so much easier to model without all those holes in the airframe!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 05:51:14 AM »
Another winner old bean, first class as ever. Great work all round.
Could the tank be from an old P38?   :)
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 04:27:58 AM »
I love it! Prussian blue is such a beautiful color too  :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher