Author Topic: Graff Spree'ish?  (Read 3665 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Graff Spree'ish?
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:26:51 AM »
Hi all well we were at our friends caravan and birthday money was burning a hole in my pocket, as always I nipped into their lms and got this

Now I realise I could put it with the Bismark and the George V my son and daughter got me for my birthday but, me being me, I seldom stick to the rules I'm thinking a space battle ship (obviously a name change would be required suggestions welcome) I'm thinking shiney chrome, lots of nice curves maybe some lasers, what do you think.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Graff Spree'ish?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:02:10 PM »
Make him a pirate ship & he could become the Armed Privateer "Grab Spree"! ;D

(Note: I don't know about other nationalities but I know that for the Germans & Russians a ship is referred to in the masculine, not the feminine as English-speaking nations do.)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:37:12 AM »
Hi all well here's the start.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 03:29:46 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
Space-Panzerschiff Graf Spee? ??? ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:25:30 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 01:58:56 AM »
 ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 03:36:03 AM »
Have always thought that these ship turned spaceship things have retained too much of a "combat in a gravity field" look about them. The decks are flat and obviously set up to provide flat footing for use in a gravity field. They don't cover the other angles as would be true for a ship to fight targets anywhere in a sphere. They also have a lot of features that relate to operating in an atmosphere.

Soooo, a few concepts for your consideration?:

Maybe look to rounding off that main deck-to-hull side intersection.

Place the turrets/weapons/ directors/bridge more evenly spaced around the entire circumference of the hull, able to deal with targets coming from any direction.

Consider getting rid of the bulk of the port holes and anything that speaks too much of the sea (like the anchors, capstans, doors, etc.) and reorient some features.

Add sensors/weapons/superstructure to other surfaces, especially the bottom of the hull.

Cannibalise an old jet kit for engine exhausts out the back or, get rid of anything that speaks to a propulsion method and have it all moved by some sort of "drive" that doesn't have exhausts.

Get rid of ships davits, but reconfigure the various ships' boats to look like they operate in space.

Just some thoughts to get the old creative juices flowing, as it were.  ;D

Paul

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »
I think you need to watch the first episodes of "Space Battleship Yamato" to get the gist of this type of spacecraft. ;)

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 01:00:38 AM »
I think you need to watch the first episodes of "Space Battleship Yamato" to get the gist of this type of spacecraft. ;)
Oh, I've seen it. And that's exactly when it started to bug me.  ;D

The other Starblazers ships make much more sense.

I suppose, if they had actually kept the ship form of the Yamato exactly the same and grafted the space systems onto it, I could have bought it more, but they changed everything structural about the supposedly salvaged ship hull, so why not build new and or more sensibly. SO that kinda ruined the concept for me.

Occasionally, I'm too much the engineer.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:07:33 AM by tankmodeler »