Author Topic: Gimme Shelter!  (Read 161 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Gimme Shelter!
« on: March 15, 2024, 12:07:49 PM »
More things created from bits and pieces within easy reach.  This time it consists of the engine access doors from a pair of Tamiya 1/35th scale M5 Stuart light tank or the M8 75mm HMC kits.  Both have identical parts runners and the part is not used in either of these kits. 
I first glued both parts together so that both parts combined would create a larger double door.  Once that was accomplished I set it aside and pursued other projects for a few days while trying to find a use for this "double door" thing.  As luck would have it, my Muse must have given me an idea which you can now see in the attached images. 

Other items that were used for this project:
Sanding stick stiffeners, the white triangle shapes at the rear and inside as structural reinforcements.  The lower internal fuselage floors sections from the Tamiya 1/48th scale Lancaster B.IIIS Grand Slam and Dam Buster Bomber kit.  I used these parts for the top and side panels.  Once assembled I cut away the excess plastic to obtain the peculiar shape you see in the attached images.  No idea on what it will be used for.  I was glad to be able to create something from pretty much nothing. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Gimme Shelter!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 04:42:53 PM »
Fallout VaultTec Vault emergency exit hatch.

This has relevance with the new Fallout series beginning on Amazon Prime (I think) soon.

Unfortunately (like Halo) not something  that I'll be able to watch.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 05:00:33 PM »
I like this. Since there are rivets around the doors you know what you have to do to the rest of the structure!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 01:57:52 AM »
I like this. Since there are rivets around the doors you know what you have to do to the rest of the structure!
No other structure to work on.  What you see is all there is.  An assemblage of bits and pieces to create an entrance structure that is above ground.  As for why?  Parts were calling to me to do something "creative" so I did.  It might end up as part of the background clutter on a display base for another subject.  No plans for it beyond that. 
If you have any suggestions on what to do with it I could transfer it to you for further trials.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 07:18:36 AM »
I really like this simple re-use of parts

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 08:55:09 AM »
I really like this simple re-use of parts
Agreed!!!

All of the extra bits in many of the kits just annoys me to no end.  One of the many reasons I have such a huge stash of extra parts.  It used to be easy when all of the parts were in one large box but that one box turned into many more boxes over the years I have been involved in this hobby.  Last I checked the spares stash was contained in a dozen large plastic totes plus a more cardboard boxes.  Keeping this stuff in the dark only promotes multiplication and before you know it you need more totes.    :o

Online apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2024, 04:21:19 AM »
Love your shelter, Jeff ... the look, the recycling parts, the lot ...  :-*

... and before you know it you need more totes.    :o

And, inevitably, this will lead to future tote-box kit bashing  :smiley:
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 05:01:04 AM »
Love your shelter, Jeff ... the look, the recycling parts, the lot ...  :-*
... and before you know it you need more totes.    :o
And, inevitably, this will lead to future tote-box kit bashing  :smiley:

I do miss the good old days when the spare/excess parts all resided in one large container.  It was just a simple matter of starting at one side and sifting through the contents until you got to the other side of the container.  Not find the pieces you were looking for?  Start over and work your way back to the other side.  Get distracted when you stumble upon something else you had been looking for weeks before and lose your way on the project you were working on and shuffle off to the work bench to work on the lost part related to that other project you set aside when you could not find the part you now have in your hands. 

Keeping the shelter door structure as simple as possible does present a challenge.  The idea was or is that the door and structure are the entrance to something below the surface.  Not having it open up to a set of stairs keeps it simple and much easier to place on a display base. 

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 07:23:37 AM »
Good work :smiley:  In WW2 the Japanese built steel shelters like this.

Maybe surround it with dirt for extra armour & add some troops ?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:50:10 AM »
Good work :smiley:  In WW2 the Japanese built steel shelters like this.

Maybe surround it with dirt for extra armour & add some troops ?

Available in 1/35 kit form too:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.