Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup  (Read 6838 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup
« on: May 21, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »
I've been going through a really rough patch financially. My wife had to leave her job late last year due to health issues and, while she's had some part time stuff, we're really hard up. As in I'm selling my car to help pay hers off and so we have a cushion for bills/food.

Anyway.

I caught up with an old friend at a recent airshow and we got talking about models. He's moved onto bigger stuff - has an Airdrome Aeroplanes Fokker Eindecker coming together in his garage and flies a DH.89a for passengers at weekends - but was interested to hear my views on Wingnut Wings kits. I sang their praises and he asked how many I've built - none, due to aforementioned issues. Jump forward to couple of weeks ago when a WNW Pup kit turns up at my door with a touching, encouraging letter from him enclosed.

There's a lot of small parts to paint before you put anything together and unfortunately I only had half the colours required, so I did what I could while I waited for some more paint to arrive (sold my wargaming figures to finance a couple of treat models, some paint and power bills). Now everything's here except the rigging material - here soon - so it's well underway.

I followed the paint callouts in the instructions - they give Tamiya and a few others, Tamiya being their and my primary - but I'm not 100% satisfied. I'll play around a bit.

More soon   :)
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: Wingnut Wings Sopwith Pup
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »
The engine looks great, hang in there, things will get better

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:49:13 AM »
Thanks kerick  :)

The rigging thread arrived this morning so I hope to get into cockpit assembly and rigging over the weekend.
Zac in NZ

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 10:01:12 AM »
Never got interested in WW1 stuff but this looks like a winner!

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 01:43:15 PM »
Nice start KiwiZac, I like the engine!
 I wish you luck with your financial problems...

Cheers Antonio

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 05:16:15 AM »
Thanks gents!

Not much to report except that late yesterday I rigged the first bay of the starboard cockpit wall:

It's a big learning curve (for example: when hungry and cold your hand shakes!) and I now know that CA accelerator would be a big help. I'm sure that the more I do, the better my system will be.

Annoyingly when trimming the sprue gates I cut off one of the tabs on this piece (you can just see the remnant I left on there, at lower right) and both on the port. That made for a very frustrating moment, but I don't think it'll be a major problem.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 05:17:59 AM by KiwiZac »
Zac in NZ

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »
I have two Wingnut Wings models, so I'm following this with interest. The cockpit sidewall looks fine. The engine looks good, too; the only suggestion is to vary the color of the copper a bit, from cylinder to cylinder. Tamiya makes a good weathering set that includes some "heat effects". If you don't have one, does your wife have any eye shadows that are copper-ish or blue-ish? Not only would you look fabulous while building the model, you could also use it on the exhausts (or whatever those tubes are)

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »
Good thinking Frank, I may raid Sam's makeup and see what I can find.

The cockpit sides are all rigged - mostly from behind, as I had big problems with stuff sticking in the corners - and I'm excited to get back into it over the weekend. Expect photos!
Zac in NZ

Offline andonio64

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »
I look forward to seeing new pics!
8)

I have two Wingnut Wings models, so I'm following this with interest. The cockpit sidewall looks fine. The engine looks good, too; the only suggestion is to vary the color of the copper a bit, from cylinder to cylinder. Tamiya makes a good weathering set that includes some "heat effects". If you don't have one, does your wife have any eye shadows that are copper-ish or blue-ish? Not only would you look fabulous while building the model, you could also use it on the exhausts (or whatever those tubes are)

@Frank3k Tamiya Weathering Master kits look very interesting, I never used them but I wonder how to stop it coming off?

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »
Here's the state of play after a lovely day at the bench:

The next headscratcher will be finding a way to string up the rudder and elevator cables...
Zac in NZ

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2017, 10:46:12 PM »
Nice progress, Zac! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 02:41:21 AM »

@Frank3k Tamiya Weathering Master kits look very interesting, I never used them but I wonder how to stop it coming off?

They are more durable than pastels, but they will come off with too much handling/playing with the model. A coat of clear satin or matte (or ready made pigment fixers from Mig or AK) should seal them in place.

Zac - the cockpit looks like it's coming along. Two options for the elevator cables - if they're not visible from the cockpit opening, skip them. Or use a thin but stiff wire (or a stiff bristle from a brush) to make it look like they're headed for the elevator cable opening in the fuselage.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 03:06:21 AM »
Best wishes you you & your missus, Mango King.

Few things are better therapy than what you're working on there my friend!

Will enjoy the results immensely! Your work is always impressive!

Brian da Basher

Offline andonio64

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »

They are more durable than pastels, but they will come off with too much handling/playing with the model. A coat of clear satin or matte (or ready made pigment fixers from Mig or AK) should seal them in place. ...

Thank you Frank3k, I read also that White spirit should fix those pigments well...

Offline andonio64

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 09:24:03 PM »
Kiwi, I follow all your progresses, I am really amazed by the quality of your work!

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 07:43:48 AM »
Thanks andonio!

Here's another photo of the floor and controls (I'm not sure what happened to the colour of the silver bit in my last photo):
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 06:39:34 AM »
The cockpit is complete! The only parts not in the box are the various rigging threads - everything else came in the kit.

Zac in NZ

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
Looking very fine.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline AXOR

• Our returned Monkey Box man
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 07:10:01 PM »
I missed this...but I like what I see,nice job so far Zac  :)
Alex

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 10:08:45 AM »
Zac in NZ

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 06:07:26 PM »
I don't know how accurate the colour is (I don't really care, either) but it looks perfect! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »
Wow, the cockpit seems to be a perfect fit. The fuselage looks good, too.

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »
Thanks gents! For the vast majority of this build I've been following the Tamiya paint callouts given in the instructions. The PC-10 they suggest is XF-62 Olive Drab, and it works fine for me! You can't tell - or maybe this was before? - but the upper surface of the fuselage has had a dosage of Humbrol Matt Cote while the sides will get some Gloss Cote before I do the decals. The underside has a nasty seam so needs some PSR.

The fit's pretty darned good, I still have a worry that my method of rigging the sides will cause issues but we will see.
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 04:35:21 AM »
One area of rigging not in the instructions is the rear of the fuselage around the tailskid. Using a friend's walkaround of the two TVAL repros as a reference I strung it up, as really I had no excuse not to  8)

Yesterday I got off work early so spent a bit more time on the Pup. Part of this was dryfitting the turtledeck. The fit's not great so there's some investigation to be done before it goes on for good.
Zac in NZ

Offline KiwiZac

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »
Photobucket's decided to start charging US$400 for linking to third-party websites, so I'm making the move to Flickr.

Untitled by ZYates87, on Flickr

I think I'll need to play around with Flickr's settings.
Zac in NZ