Author Topic: Boeing P-26. RAF stylie  (Read 18434 times)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Boeing P-26. RAF stylie
« on: October 15, 2019, 04:54:24 AM »
Hi all

just a place holder at the moment.

I have never seen a group build generate so much comment in the ideas and inspiration section, you could pull the whole section out and drop it smoothly into The Sparring Room and no one would notice the difference.

It makes for fascinating reading and shows how unprepared the US was at that time, but all the debate is making it difficult (for me at least) to get a handle on a subject to model so here Is how I'm going to interpret it. (Essentially to make it "fit"  :o)

For whatever reason the United States declares war, Britain is in dire straights and needs aircraft, any aircraft, as indicated in the inspiration section the USA is lagging in the technology stakes but scrapes together some older available types, including the Boeing P-26, to bolster the RAF.

It was obvious that this aircraft would be no match for the axis aircraft in the European theatre so they were rapidly dispatched to the Mediterranean theatre to bolster the air forces there.

Dispatch was rapid and there was no time to fully repaint the Boeings just change the national insignia.

And there you have my very simplistic and tentative slant on the build.

(Do I hear a voice going. " Noooooooo!" ?)

More when it happens

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 04:45:37 AM by Robomog »
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Boeing P-26. RAF stylie
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 07:11:13 AM »
Oohhhh a RAF Peashooter in Med colors! Sounds like a looker already!

Brian da Basher

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »
You can have a lot of fun with colour choices.  ;D

In 1940 the overall bare-metal or silver paint scheme for tactical aircraft was in effect,
and some P-26s had been refinished, others were still in the blue and yellow. You could
have had a mish-mash of schemes on the pulled together P-26 lot.

In the mid-30s China bought 11 Model 281 (export P-26A) from Boeing and these were
all finished in overall light-grey, perhaps there was a follow on order that had ended up
sitting in crates in a warehouse for some reason, embargo, lack of payment or whatever?
These are then grabbed by the US government and sent along.

Post-WWII Guatemala stripped the paint from the P-26s they had received during the war,
and from that point they flew them with bare grey anodized aluminum skin fuselages and
green painted wings. The fuselages had the same patchwork effect as the grey anodized
skin of the Boeing 247, which is why everybody ended up painting their 247s.
 ;D

Of the water-based temporary camouflage paints used before 1940 some of the purples
and blacks were known to stick and leave stains, which required more cleanup than just
a hose and brush. P-26s with ragged leftovers of war games schemes?
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Robomog

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 12:57:30 PM »
Thanks guys, interesting stuff, I'm bouncing between yellow/blue or mid stone/dark earth/azure blue at the moment wavering towards the former.

I didn't realise I have so many choices  ;D

I will be starting soon

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Kelmola

• Seeking motivation to start buillding the stash
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:48:05 PM »
Thanks guys, interesting stuff, I'm bouncing between yellow/blue or mid stone/dark earth/azure blue at the moment wavering towards the former.
P-26's in yellow&blue are all too common (though not with RAF roundels), so desert camo would be more unique.

How about applying only dark earth in a camo pattern, leaving the yellow and blue visible? :smiley:

Offline Robomog

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 12:06:24 AM »
Hmmmm some good points made there, but I don't think the last one will happen though, whilst it is feasible given the time line above its a bit too weird, even for me. Thanks for the suggestion though it keeps me thinking

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline dadlamassu

• You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing!
  • Newly Joined - Welcome me!
    • Morval Earth
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 04:16:59 AM »
Maybe some were in the pink/grey/olive green upperworks and yellow/olive undersides just repaint the roundels?

Offline Robomog

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 04:42:57 AM »
Oh wow !  that is so tempting maybe with Azure blue rather than yellow, but that would work, a number of old Peashooters scraped together could include unwanted experimentals and with that style camouflage there would be very minimal alteration required, thanks for that.

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 05:20:15 AM »
Bear in mind that the mid-'30s experimental cammo schemes
were truly temporary using water-based paints and none of
the P-26s would have still been wearing the paint in '39 - '40.
Also there was no standardization, the patterns were all
unique so all of the aircraft looked different.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 05:44:13 AM by jcf »
conspiracy.”

Offline Robomog

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 11:11:56 PM »
Damn.  I'm may have to resort to handwavium! using the stretchyreality charm   ??? ;) ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 05:10:35 AM »
I think I can spare some Unobtainium if you need it, Mog.

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 05:22:16 AM »

Offline Robomog

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 06:14:56 AM »
Sorry to disappoint you chaps but handwavium is a sort of Harry potter type spell used in conjunction with the streachyreality charm to bend historical time to match your alt history.

In this case to bend the timeline of the Peashooter so that the random camouflage would be plauseable for 1939.

I believe handwavium has been used previously by whiffers but not in conjunction with stretchyreality.

Hope this helps  ;)

Mog
>^-.-^<

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:16:55 AM by Robomog »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 04:46:36 PM »
According to Wikipedia (so maybe double check to confirm facts):  “Between 1938 and 1940, P-26s were assigned overseas to supplement Seversky P-35s in two defense units based at Wheeler Field, Territory of Hawaii:

18th Pursuit Group (6th, 19th, 73d, and 78th PS)
15th Pursuit Group (45th and 47th PS).

The 17th PG became the 17th Attack Group in 1935, and its P-26s were transferred in 1938 to the 16th Pursuit Group (24th, 29th, and 78th PS) at Albrook Field in the Panama Canal Zone. These P-26s were transferred in 1940 to the 37th Pursuit Group (28th, 30th, and 31st PS) which flew them until they were replaced by P-40s in May 1941. Some continued service with the 32d Pursuit Group (51st and 53rd PS), but only nine P-26s remained operational in Central America at the start of World War II.”

Maybe something there you could use.

Another idea might be if the US entered the war early but in China.  Again, from Wikipedia:  “The first Boeing P-26 to experience major combat operation was the Chinese Model 281. On 15 August 1937, eight P-26/281s from the Chinese Nationalist Air Force 3rd Pursuit Group, 17th Squadron, based at Chuyung airfield, engaged eight out of twenty Mitsubishi G3M Nell medium bombers from the Kisarazu Air Group sent to attack Nanking. The Chinese Boeing fighters helped shoot down two of the four Japanese bombers destroyed that day without suffering any losses. Subsequent engagements between the Chinese Peashooter pilots and pilots of the Imperial Japanese Navy flying the Mitsubishi A5M "Claudes" were the first aerial dogfights and kills between all-metal monoplane fighter aircraft.”
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 08:21:04 PM »
My understanding (limited though it is on US history) is that the US was predominantly isolationist pre WWII, but the US was also attempting to contain Japan through embargos and treaties (happy to stand corrected by those more knowledgeable on the topic).  Is it possible that the US, in particular if they became aware of Japanese planning for a Pacific war, would consider preemptive action against Japan?

Offline Some Duck with an Ultimax

• Now known as "Ducky"
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 03:55:49 AM »
My understanding (limited though it is on US history) is that the US was predominantly isolationist pre WWII, but the US was also attempting to contain Japan through embargos and treaties (happy to stand corrected by those more knowledgeable on the topic).  Is it possible that the US, in particular if they became aware of Japanese planning for a Pacific war, would consider preemptive action against Japan?

While my knowledge of the period is far from exhaustive, based on what I do know I think it would have been unlikely and unpopular. That said, I’m happy to stand corrected as my area of expertise is far more the Japanese side.
Never trust a man who tells you that you have too many paints, for he is obviously a liar and will most likely try to deceive you again in future.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 04:16:42 AM »
Hi all

just a place holder at the moment.

I have never seen a group build generate so much comment in the ideas and inspiration section, you could pull the whole section out and drop it smoothly into The Sparring Room and no one would notice the difference.

It makes for fascinating reading and shows how unprepared the US was at that time, but all the debate is making it difficult (for me at least) to get a handle on a subject to model so here Is how I'm going to interpret it. (Essentially to make it "fit"  :o)

Not usually this lively to be sure!  :D
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 04:39:04 AM »
My understanding (limited though it is on US history) is that the US was predominantly isolationist pre WWII

Extreme oversimplification and the term "isolationist" was used in a pejorative manner to encompass
any group who opposed or questioned going to war, be they non-interventionists - of various political
inclinations, anti-war in general, pro-peace for religious reasons etc., in much the same fashion as
those opposed to involvement in WWI were decried as being "anti-American". The number who were
truly "isolationist", who promoted turning completely inward, even to the extent of pulling back from
international trade etc., were a small minority.
The majority were unsure but did have serious questions and concerns, many generated by the
admitted manipulation of the public that preceded US entry into the First World War and the evident
failure of the war to change anything.

The somewhat fringe right-wingers were the loudest voices amongst the anti-interventionists, stating they
opposed the US being pulled into the war by the "internationalists", a classic dog-whistle, who controlled
the governments and media of the "democracies" and presenting Germany and Japan as being victims of
"war hate" and the media as beating the drum for intervention.
Ralph Townsend was one of those more blatantly pro-Germany and Japan, Italy to a lesser extent. I have
one of his pamphlets published on May 1, 1940, Seeking Foreign Trouble, that is extremely anti-British,
anti-French, anti-Communist and even to an extent anti-American as it condemns the US as one of the
imperialist powers. It turned out that he was accepting money from the Japanese. He's popular today with
the extreme right, militia types, anti-Semitic groups etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Townsend

A complicated subject and this really isn't the place to discuss it.
conspiracy.”

Offline Robomog

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 06:06:51 PM »
Well, getting back to the modelling.

I still haven't decided the final colour scheme but I have plenty of the construction side to go before the final decision.

Here's the base kit.

by Robomog, on Flickr

According to general opinion it is the best on the market but has a few faults. I'm not going to attempt correcting much of that and build it pretty much out of the box.

It does have one fatal flaw though.

20191012_163710 by Robomog, on Flickr

Yup, that is printed on the outside of the bottom wing what idiot thought that one up ?
As you can see its a 1982 mould and has a fair bit of flash, mainly around the finer parts.

Here's progress so far

by Robomog, on Flickr

The small details are painted and as it's an open cockpit without the pilot l will put a little detail in there, I have made the control panel and will add seat belts and a joystick.

Thanks for all the interest and comments.

More when it happens

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:18:45 AM by Robomog »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 07:45:59 PM »
I'm just getting broken image link boxes, 'Mog. :icon_crap:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 08:09:14 PM »
Hmmmm I did this post from my phone I'll have a look tonight and repost from the PC

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 08:39:08 PM »
Works for me

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 08:42:10 PM »
My understanding (limited though it is on US history) is that the US was predominantly isolationist pre WWII

Extreme oversimplification and the term "isolationist" was used in a pejorative manner to encompass
any group who opposed or questioned going to war, be they non-interventionists - of various political
inclinations, anti-war in general, pro-peace for religious reasons etc., in much the same fashion as
those opposed to involvement in WWI were decried as being "anti-American". The number who were
truly "isolationist", who promoted turning completely inward, even to the extent of pulling back from
international trade etc., were a small minority.
The majority were unsure but did have serious questions and concerns, many generated by the
admitted manipulation of the public that preceded US entry into the First World War and the evident
failure of the war to change anything.

The somewhat fringe right-wingers were the loudest voices amongst the anti-interventionists, stating they
opposed the US being pulled into the war by the "internationalists", a classic dog-whistle, who controlled
the governments and media of the "democracies" and presenting Germany and Japan as being victims of
"war hate" and the media as beating the drum for intervention.
Ralph Townsend was one of those more blatantly pro-Germany and Japan, Italy to a lesser extent. I have
one of his pamphlets published on May 1, 1940, Seeking Foreign Trouble, that is extremely anti-British,
anti-French, anti-Communist and even to an extent anti-American as it condemns the US as one of the
imperialist powers. It turned out that he was accepting money from the Japanese. He's popular today with
the extreme right, militia types, anti-Semitic groups etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Townsend

A complicated subject and this really isn't the place to discuss it.

Thanks, very informative. I knew there were fringe elements and that the public in general were against involvement in another war but not the details.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 10:21:13 PM »
Hmmmm I did this post from my phone I'll have a look tonight and repost from the PC

Mog
>^-.-^<

Works for me

I tried dissecting the links & 2 elements take me to the flickr login page whilst the other brings up a "410: File not found" error message.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 12:03:37 AM »
Looks good from here Mog.

That's a honey of a kit and one I don't think many truly appreciate.

It's going to be a treat to see your take on it.

Brian da Basher

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2019, 01:56:16 AM »
The Revell P-26 kit was first released in 1967.
conspiracy.”

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2019, 03:11:42 AM »
A number of accounts state that some of the Wheeler Field, Hawai'i based P-26s were painted overall
black for night air patrols post-Pearl Harbor.
conspiracy.”

Offline Robomog

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 12:21:15 AM »
Photos have been reposted, you should be able to see them now

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 01:31:32 AM »

While my knowledge of the period is far from exhaustive, based on what I do know I think it would have been unlikely and unpopular. That said, I’m happy to stand corrected as my area of expertise is far more the Japanese side.

I'm the same way  :o

Pictures are working for me! the revell mark LOL oh on. Good start though

-David Fincher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »
Thanks, 'Mog, got the photo's now! :smiley: :smiley:

Aw cute! It's a widdle Pee-shuter! ;)

(What muppet came up with the name "Peashooter" for a fighter? ???)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 02:46:28 AM »
Thanks, 'Mog, got the photo's now! :smiley: :smiley:

Aw cute! It's a widdle Pee-shuter! ;)

(What muppet came up with the name "Peashooter" for a fighter? ???)

It was a nickname, not an official name and it was because the
pilot's sight-tube looked like a peashooter.
conspiracy.”

Offline Robomog

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2019, 12:35:11 AM »
Hi all

A bit more progress, not helped by Claude the Cat pinching my chair.

by Robomog, on Flickr

So I have had to revert to my backup lappy with light

by Robomog, on Flickr

Sorta Brings back memories of my early days getting back into modeling.

The Peashooter is coming along nicely, To make things easier I have removed the telescopic sight, pitot head and tail aerial before they get knocked off anyway, I will reattach them later when the paintwork is done.

The fuselage joints were good and needed minimal sanding and scraping, the wing construction was much the same.

The fuselage/wing joint however  was a very bad fit and despite much careful sanding( followed by a rare burst of impatience) there were still some gaps and fit problems, so I’m currently into the PSR stage.

Here is the story so far

by Robomog, on Flickr

I have temporarily attached the engine and posed it on top of a mk 5 Spitfire to give an indication of how small this aircraft is.

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 12:39:47 AM by Robomog »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2019, 08:16:00 AM »
I don't think I'd mess with Claude. Especially when he's got that look.

Nice progress on the Peashooter Mog and I really like how you put it on top a desert Spitfire!

You've got me already looking forward to your next update.

Brian da Basher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2019, 04:58:45 PM »
Hi All

The Peashooter is now in the Paint Shop and has received its primer coat.

Still undecided on the Finishing coat. But I would like to thank everyone who suggested alternative colour schemes, it has come down to the following.

1. yellow/blue American scheme with British Markings
2. mid stone/dark earth/azure blue
3. Basic sand with two tone green/brown disruptive pattern, azure blue undersides
4. Shiny Black
5. Shiny Silver possibly with Yellow or Blue contrasting colour

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:58:38 AM by Robomog »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 04:20:22 AM »
You could also do a "combat" USAAC yellow-wings scheme by going with tan flying surfaces, etc and an olive drab fuselage.

Looking forward to seeing how your P-26 finishes up,

Brian da Basher

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2019, 02:27:04 AM »
RAF type applied in the US with water-based paints before shipping, the blue and yellow showing through
the thin, quickly worn paint-job.
 :icon_fsm:
conspiracy.”

Offline Robomog

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2019, 07:16:23 AM »
Thanks guys, I will add those to the pot.

I have decided to use the "raffle" method to choose the colour scheme. All the possibilities are going to be written on slips of paper and put in a box. The winning scheme will be drawn by Mrs Lady Mog shortly

More when it happens.........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2019, 07:54:11 AM »
Good to have you contributing to BTS inventory of P-26 builds.   Interested to see results of your take on P-26.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2019, 08:15:02 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :smiley: :smiley: :icon_fsm:
conspiracy.”

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2019, 07:22:49 AM »
RAF type applied in the US with water-based paints before shipping, the blue and yellow showing through the thin, quickly worn paint-job.

Ooo, I like that. Maybe right after a heavy rain fall. I am now beaming this concept telepathically in the direction of Mrs Lady Mog ...
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2019, 08:52:44 AM »
RAF type applied in the US with water-based paints before shipping, the blue and yellow showing through

Hey! That's what I wanted to do with my MiG-3-cum-P-37!  :icon_twisted:

Need to get thicker tin foil.....  ::)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2019, 02:38:36 PM »

Hey! That's what I wanted to do with my MiG-3-cum-P-37!  :icon_twisted:

Need to get thicker tin foil.....  ::)

;D ;D

Tin foil is old school, you need Velostat.  ;D

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Full instructions are on the left side of the page.
You're welcome.  ;D ;D :icon_fsm:

p.s. the P-37 was post blue and yellow, it fell under the bare metal/silver paint
rules for all-metal aircraft.
 ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:40:15 PM by jcf »
conspiracy.”

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2019, 03:45:57 AM »
Tin foil is old school, you need Velostat.  ;D

http://www.stopabductions.com/
Full instructions are on the left side of the page.
You're welcome.  ;D ;D :icon_fsm:

Offline Robomog

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2019, 06:29:16 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for all the replies, what are you people on !  ;D ;D ;D

And the winner is ...................

(Drum roll)

(Cymbals crash)

Mid Stone/dark earth/azure blue

(Massive applause and euphoria)

by Robomog, on Flickr

Just for a giggle we kept pulling tickets from the box, here is the the complete draw.

2. Silver yellow/blue
3. Blue/yellow  with faded brown/mid stone
4. Yellow/blue British markings
5. Shiny black
6. Green  yellow/tan
7. Basic sand  two tone brown

The results have been checked and verified by the in house adjudicators Claude the Cat and Taco D'peace

Sorry apophenia only third place

More when it happens.........

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline apophenia

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2019, 12:40:17 PM »
That's okay, 'mog. Mid-stone/dark earth/azure blue is a great consolation prize.

My only question is: Has Mrs Lady Mog been trying out that Velostat ... or should I just exhale on the power of telepathy?

Besides, if Claude the Cat is cool with the chosen scheme, I'm good. I've seen the expressions Claude can get ... don't want to mess with him  :o
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Robomog

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2019, 05:46:32 PM »
Hi apophenia

No velostat or tin foil involved so you may as well exhale now  ;).

I have to admit though i am glad the faded water based paint over blue/yellow didn't win.  That would be very difficult to reproduce convincingly

When the winner was pulled it was a definite "phew" moment

Thanks for contributing

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:00:19 PM by Robomog »

Offline finsrin

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2019, 06:03:12 PM »
Velostat is real deal here in Seattle area.  Works on a round earth.  Might not work on a flat earth cuz if its too thin aliens could read your mind from below to control you for abduction.

Wonder if it promotes hair growth ?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 06:06:45 PM by finsrin »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2019, 01:09:31 PM »
Velostat is real deal here in Seattle area.  Works on a round earth.  Might not work on a flat earth cuz if its too thin aliens could read your mind from below to control you for abduction.

Wonder if it promotes hair growth ?

;D ;D ;D

Geez, did you work with Menkin too? A guy I worked with in 747 wire design had
the joy  ;D of working with that loon for 5 years.
conspiracy.”

Offline Robomog

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2019, 05:03:12 PM »
I wonder if menkin has shares in Velostat manufacturing companies  ::)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2019, 03:52:54 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :icon_fsm:
conspiracy.”

Offline taiidantomcat

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2019, 04:05:48 AM »
Hooray for Mid stone Dark Earth !! :-*

-David Fincher

Offline Robomog

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2019, 07:46:25 AM »
Hi all
Sorry for the lack of updates, work and seasonal considerations have slowed things down a bit.

The Peashooter has got its new paint scheme and decals and I'm in the process of doing the rigging. Boy is it a slow and fiddly process. I haven't done any thing like this since the late seventies I'm sure it was easier than this then. Then again I might be using a thinner filament than I used to or my eyes arn't so good.

I'm about halfway through now and when that's done it will need a thorough touch up of the attachment points plus the fitting of the last small details.

Seasonal commitments are gonna slow me down again but I'm sure I'll get some time over the festive period.

The next post will be the completed project.

Thanks for looking

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 07:50:25 AM by Robomog »

Offline Robomog

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2019, 01:38:31 AM »
Hi all

The RAF Boeing P-26 Peashooter is complete, it's not perfect there are a quite a few little  things that are not right in my eyes but on the whole I'm very happy with the way it turned out, it's amazing that adding something relatively small like the rigging can change a very robust model into something very delicate, I've lost count of how many times I had to re attach a plastic wire because I nudged it whilst attaching another.

I have recently purchased a small photo booth to try and improve my photography, it folds up into a small plastic cube which contains two strips of LED lighting, it also comes with an assortment of coloured backdrops, I've used the green to compare with my previous photos.

So enough of my waffle,  here's the pics.

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

by Robomog, on Flickr

This build has probably generated more interest and comments than any of my previous builds and I would like to thank all those who contributed, in fact this whole group build has been pretty lively so I hope  going forward, there will be more like this.

As always all comments and criticisms gratefully accepted

Thanks for looking.........

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 08:17:46 AM by Robomog »

Offline finsrin

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2019, 03:17:21 AM »
Must say, such a build.   Too nice for British to fly and get dirty or loose.   Colors (excellent), rigging, figure bring it together.   from long time P-26 fan  :-*
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:25:16 AM by finsrin »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2019, 03:52:01 AM »
Now that's a gorgeous little model.  Beautiful work!!

Offline Robomog

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2019, 10:39:09 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2019, 02:36:28 PM »
 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :icon_fsm:

Ready for it's wingman to show up.
Ryan STAs in RAF drag.

conspiracy.”

Offline Robomog

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2019, 07:52:41 PM »
Wow good spot jcf

That would indeed make a great stable mate

Does anybody know if there is or was a Ryan PTA model on the market in 1/72 ?

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline Robomog

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2019, 08:02:07 PM »
Hi all

Theres a colour pic on Internet Movie Plane Database

Here : http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=Dive_Bomber#Ryan_ST-A

And two pics up.

Mog
>^-.-^<
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:05:34 PM by Robomog »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2019, 04:42:51 AM »
Most well done, Mog!

It looks right in that RAF desert scheme.

What a phenomenal P-26!

Brian da Basher

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2019, 04:57:25 AM »
What Brian said, it just looks right!

Alvis 3.1

Offline apophenia

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2019, 10:07:46 AM »
... Does anybody know if there is or was a Ryan PTA model on the market in 1/72 ?

Mog: There's a few out there ..

MPM Production Ryan PT 20/STM-S2
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/mpm-production-72084-ryan-pt-20-stm-s2--112477

Beechnut Models Ryan ST/PT 16.
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/beechnut-models-001-ryan-st-pt-16-20--1189053

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2019, 03:27:59 PM »
It looks great, makes me wonder how the P-26 compared to the Gloster Gauntlet and Gladiator, the types it obviously would have supplemented, if not supplanted?

Offline Robomog

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2020, 08:21:38 AM »
Hi all

Thanks for the comments and posts, gonna look for that Ryan.

Some of the more informed members may correct me here both aircraft had a pretty reasonable combat record so I don't think the Peashooter would have replaced the Gladiator I'm pretty sure  they would have made pretty good stable mates

Personally speaking I think the Peashooter would have supplemented the Gladiator rather than replace it, the max speed of the Gladiator was greater than the Peashooter but the cruise speed was slower, basic armament was the same of 2 x .303 machine guns, but the Peashooter could be up gunned with a .50 in place of one of the .303's and Gladiator could have an extra two (or four) .303  machine guns but this would probably drag down its top speed.

The advantages I can see for having the Peashooter is that it is all metal so less likely to burn if hit and it can carry light bombs.

Happy new year.......

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2020, 08:40:06 AM »
One .30 and one .50 was the USAAC standard at the time.

The Gladiator was also classified as an all-metal aircraft in period as the term referred to structure,
having fabric coverings makes no difference.

conspiracy.”

Offline Artivag

• I'll be back again & again & again~
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2024, 11:22:17 AM »
I absolutely love this, you did a terrific job on that what-if project! How about a B-10 next, fitted with a Vickers turret (whatever the type in the Welly's nose was) in the nose & kitted out with either Bristol Pegasus or Rolls-Royce Kestrels? I'm not sure what to do with dorsal armament though?

Another idea might be a Boeing 247 with Bristol Mercuries & the same type of turret fitted to the Avro Anson in the dorsal position? If you really want to get creative then try giving it a tail gun position in the same fashion as the B-17 later acquired?

Offline finsrin

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2024, 11:44:32 AM »
I absolutely love this, you did a terrific job on that what-if project! How about a B-10 next, fitted with a Vickers turret (whatever the type in the Welly's nose was) in the nose & kitted out with either Bristol Pegasus or Rolls-Royce Kestrels? I'm not sure what to do with dorsal armament though?

Another idea might be a Boeing 247 with Bristol Mercuries & the same type of turret fitted to the Avro Anson in the dorsal position? If you really want to get creative then try giving it a tail gun position in the same fashion as the B-17 later acquired?

B-10 and 247 could do well with switch to DC-3 engines for significant power increase.

Offline Artivag

• I'll be back again & again & again~
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2024, 03:26:48 PM »

B-10 and 247 could do well with switch to DC-3 engines for significant power increase.

The DC-3s used a few different engine types in their service. The Pratt & Whitney R-1820 Twin-Wasp, which was one of the primary engine types for the DC-3, actually was used in a test configuration for the XB-14. Which in itself was another version of the B-10 so it's not too far fetched at all.

The Boeing 247 on the other hand used the same Wasps of the P-26. I could see those taking on the Wright R-1820 Cyclone instead, perhaps? Give it that dorsal turret I mentioned & it could pretty well counter for the extra weight up front.

Honestly I just thought it would look a lot more exotic with British types, especially those Kestrels! Perhaps using a couple of Airfix Hawker Demons or Matchbox Hawker Furies as the basis for the engines & fairings?  :))

Offline Robomog

« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2024, 08:21:59 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys, I have just restored the missing completed  pics as Flikr screwed up the url's (again)

Mog
>^-.-^<

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2024, 01:54:04 PM »
Gobsmackingly lovely!  :D :D
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Robomog

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2024, 12:44:16 AM »
Thanks mate, much appreciated

Mog
>^-.-^<