Author Topic: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line  (Read 27688 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Heller 1/100 17th Century ship of the line
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2016, 05:37:07 AM »
The wood effects are stunning. And if the bling-y bits qualify as "shabby", I'll need to find a way repointing my knitting needles!!
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2016, 09:28:33 AM »
What he said!  That looks great to me.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2016, 09:42:15 AM »
like it as well.

As to oars on boats, on more modern ships the oars are stored in the boats, generally stored centrally over the rowing benches and secured by ropes and I would see no reason why this would be a recent development, as really without the oars the boats are practically useless. I an cannot image fossicking around for oars when you are trying to launch a boat.
As a counter point though,  anchors appear to be much less commonly seen on long boats as either they were sea use or taken all the way onto shore. But there s every chance they were stored further down in the innards of the ships boats.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2016, 01:05:10 PM »
Ship's Boat oars were always stored in the boat, either tied to the benches under the gunwales or along the centre of the boat (depending on length in relation to the boat).

Boat anchors were stored in the bow of the boat & were significantly smaller than the ones you've made but were, generally, until fairly recently, of the same form as ships' anchors. A large longboat anchor may have been 4' long but were generally in the 3' to 31/2' range because anything larger would require more than 2 men to manoeuvre, which was close to impossible in the tight bow space of a ship's boat.

If the build quality is dropping/has dropped significantly, I can't see it, mate! :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2016, 03:18:29 AM »
I'm  bit late to this party but I just wanted to express my delight at such incredible detail work!

Brian da Basher

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2016, 04:36:58 AM »
Hi all a tiny update really just to show I'm still on this (I know it's not great but I figure I can remove all the gold and redo it, if and when my mojo returns.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2016, 08:02:58 AM »
Looks fine to me.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2016, 10:37:56 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Crbad

• I'd buy that for a dollar!
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2016, 01:53:06 AM »
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your mojo from here. This ship is epic! :icon_beer:
Craig's Bureau of Aeronautics Design: Shoddy engineering and marginal skill for the undiscerning modelling enthusiast.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with your mojo from here. This ship is epic! :icon_beer:
Agreed!!

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2016, 04:22:58 PM »
I've not looked into this thread before as sailing ships are not my thing. However I just clicked on it by accident and all I can say is wow! That just looks awesome Sir!

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2016, 10:56:18 AM »

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »
Hi all well since I've finished the 32 ford I'm tentatively back on this, the first thing I noticed(which when I put it away I didn't was the jib was quite a bit off centre, no amount of gentle twisting would straighten it so I bit my lip and cut it off.

The guilding on the top rails was rubbish so that's been given another go, still not happy with it but will live with it for now also added a bit more deck furniture.

Removed some of the wash from the transom sort of better we will just have to see how I feel after I've lived with it for a while, I may still strip it, I'm feeling better about it anyway.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2016, 08:46:19 PM »
 :)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2016, 03:49:32 AM »
Hi all here is another little update, that mast is not glued in yet just positioned to see the effect, I've seen where people do the ratlines on the upper masts before atattching the mast, to me it looks easier than having to try it whilst attached to the ship.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2016, 04:56:43 AM »
Hi all well this is certainly leagues more complex and detailed than any ship I've built not sure I'm upto rigging this, for instance all the pulleys attached it the mast and crows nest, I've barely started on this one mast, I take my hat off to anyone tackling this complex a rigging  not sure I will stick the course, I've not found an easy way to tie the pulleys. The 4von this mast took 2 hours and a lot of swearing.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2016, 03:43:42 AM »
Hi all, the rest of the cannons are fully visible so I've decided to try and detail them a bit more, there is no wood grain moulded in the plastic sides so I've scratched some lightly with my knife and tried painting and using pastels to get an wood effect, not worked as well as I'd liked but better than nothing, and when they are installed you probably won't even notice anyway.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2016, 04:20:34 AM »
Hi all these cannons are a bit tedious but I've done a bit more, not happy with them, they still don't look very realistic (each one is less than 1/2 an inch long, well the carriage is anyway), so I can't do much with them but I'm wondering weather the decking from the 1/72 revell flower class corvette would look good stuck on and stained what do you think.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2016, 06:45:38 AM »
Quite an arsenal you have there...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2016, 03:48:35 AM »
Hi all well i know I've not touched this for a while, Pam just snapped the fore mast, apparently she was just getting the dog a treat  (the bag with the treats in was on the table with the kit) my fault entirely, she is so upset I'm more cross she even tried to, that's what I'm here for to get stuff, trouble is she thinks because she can make it to the loo and make a cuppa she can do anything, I love her to bits and can't wait for her to get better. Anyway when I do get back on this that will be the first thing for me to takle. 

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2017, 04:13:41 AM »
Right after some good advice I may well get started back on this, I've just bought these 3 books

So hopefully after a good read the rigging won't be sooooo scarey.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2017, 06:46:35 AM »
Petersson is an excellent choice.  :)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
Heck of a build.  You persistence and perfection are shining through.  Keep going. :)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2017, 11:36:04 PM »
Hi all well I'm back on this but with a change of attack, it's now going to be a water line model, I didn't like the ships boats on the deck (take up too much space and I don't believe the ship would have operated like that) so it will be towed along side something like this.