Author Topic: Kits on Shapeways  (Read 62264 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Kits on Shapeways
« Reply #200 on: June 10, 2020, 07:27:13 AM »
They’ve made it expensive to buy what most modelers would want to buy. The crappy nylon options are still available at an OK price, but that’s it. My MOL re-entry vehicle is $36 in just “smooth fine detail” which I consider the lowest quality. It was $26-27 when I printed it out.
$300 resin printers can easy match the Shapeways smoothest quality setting and probably surpass it. I’ll probably only use Shapeways for other people’s models or for objects that I don’t have the time to print, or are in a material that I can’t print. Even there, 3DHubs or similar may provide cheaper options.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #201 on: June 10, 2020, 09:13:36 PM »
I've bought some FASS radomes from Harro (Hobbes on the forums), his Shapeways name is Acme Engineering. The first pair I bought were in 1/120 scale and were priced at around US$30, this was in the second best option. I've just bought another pair plus a pair in 1/50 scale, but the price for the 1/50 in the second best option was US$250+, I got that down to a bit over US$100 by choosing the cheapest option and then because it was still quite a bit expensive, selected the cheapest option for the 1/120 pair, this was priced under US$20.

Harro told me that the prices are governed by the space required to print the object in the printer, so a small object is fairly cheap, but scale it up to something larger, the price jumps up dramatically.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2020, 02:19:35 AM »
Price is a combination of size and volume. Still, to print something on one of my resin printers that would fill the volume would be around $40. It would take forever, but still. Shapeways recently changed their price calculations and increased the prices for most objects, regardless of size. They've penalized small objects as well.