Author Topic: IMAM RO42  (Read 1971 times)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
IMAM RO42
« on: July 02, 2018, 03:39:11 AM »
Impressed by the Henschel 123, IMAM decided to emulate it. Three 7.7mm guns and a tidy bomb load, with good all round performance, made it worthy of production.
It was unfortunate that no testing was done in certain conditions. On arrival in Ethiopia, the two units flying the 42 found that the dust got into the undercart workings and caused lot of trouble.
Of the 47 aircraft in country, 15 were lost due to the wheels not fully lowering, and three when it got stuck part way up after take off.
The remaining planes plus 18 still in Italy were later passed on the Iraq, By the time of the Rashid Ali uprising and attack on R.A.F. Habbiniya,
there were 34 remaining aircraft. Before they could be used in anger however, R.A.F. Wellingtons bombed the base and scored hits on the two hangers the RO42s were kept, and those not fully burned out were still write offs.

If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline pigflyer

Re: IMAM RO42
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 03:43:42 AM »
The Italians were keen on a rear gunner for ground attack aircraft at the time, but this did no harm to the performance at all.  If not for a lack of
experience with retractable undercarriage, the RO42 could have fearured in WW11.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 05:39:45 AM »
I like this one very much!

You have a keen eye re-purposing this bird as an IMAM Ro and my hat's off to your for such outside-the-box thinking!

I like the look of that rear gunner and the tricolor on the tail, rumors of my Italian heritage notwithstanding.

Most excellent!

Brian da Basher

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 10:14:21 AM »
The RO42 looks very nice - what were the donor kits? 1/72?

Offline pigflyer

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 10:56:14 PM »
Thanks guys,   doner kits were,  Heller sbc4 Helldiver and KP Letov S.231. Both in 1/72.  Guess what my next Whiff is made from?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 10:58:54 PM by pigflyer »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 01:16:45 AM »
Like it when you can take 2 plus kits, put them in an blender and come with neat looking WHIF and a smoothie to boot.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 05:29:22 AM »
I thought I saw a Helldiver in that kit bash :) 

Nice combination of parts to create something different. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg