Author Topic: What if Kingdom of Hawaii?  (Read 3769 times)

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
What if Kingdom of Hawaii?
« on: December 04, 2012, 05:34:45 AM »
Anyone in the mood for helping out with a surviving Kingdom of Hawaii?

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
Re: What if Kingdom of Hawaii?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 06:05:13 AM »
What kind of help do you want?
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:19:42 AM »
language help, ideas, well frankly any kind of collaboration

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:31:57 AM »
Alright, well looking at Wiki's brief timeline of its history, where would you like to diverge?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Hawaii

I take it you want Hawaii to remain separate and not get annexed by the US?  Annexed at a earlier/later date?  Join one of the Pacific island nations?

Initial idea for markings on aircraft could be a roundel similar to the RAF but incorporating something uniquely Hawaiian in the center like the Aussies and South Africans.  Maybe one of the helmets found on their coat of arms?  Their flag goes white, red, blue from top to bottom so maybe go outside to inside in that order or reverse it.  White, red, with a blue helmet or blue, and red with a white helmet.  Any other ideas for a symbol that would mean something to them, IE not a palm tree?

What about using the Kanaka Maoli flag for their roundels instead since it was supposed to be Kamehameha’s personal flag?  The other ones have too much colonialism on them, unless you want that.    How about a red roundel with the green and yellow shield?  I think that would look really nice!  Use that as the national flag also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Hawaii

Who would they be friendly with, IE whose their major Ally; the US?  Aussies?  Japan?!  WWII could be VERY different....

I like the idea of them keeping their original language but also using whatever language their closest ally uses and blending the two.

Figure all of that out and then we can start deciding on equipment.

-Mike

"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 11:34:09 AM »
A good start would be reducing the impact of introduced diseases in the 1810-1845 period, so the Kamehameha Dynasty navy & army remained in the 10's-of-1,000's strong range.

After French attacks in the mid-1800's a treaties with the United Kingdom (despite the Crimean War & Hawaii's stated neutrality) & the United States as a protectorate would be a good 2nd step. However, American pressure for exclusive trading rights could lead to the US-Hawaiian treaty being repealed. Whilst an existing treaty with the UK & a large military would mean that the Paulet Affair would not have happened - thereby not alienating the British.

Assuming the French & British recognition of Hawaii as an independent state still occurs in 1843/1844 (ending Hawaii's "protectorate" status with the British), the US is further alienated by its failure to recognise the nation's independence for a further 6 years. Furthermore, the British sign a treaty of alliance with Hawaii.

With the examples of the chaos of French Monarchic & Republican politics versus the stability of the British Constitutional Monarchy during this period, Hawaiians may have pushed for a constitutional system similar to the British.

Thus, in 1850/1860, the Hawaiians peacefully adopt a Constitutional Monarchy along British lines but modified to suit local requirements.

That's how I'd start it... You can take it from there, if you want.

Cheers!

Guy. :icon_music:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."