Author Topic: AMT plastic  (Read 2939 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
AMT plastic
« on: April 19, 2013, 09:16:41 AM »
Not a tip-tool-technique, but an observation.
Have an AMT 1/72 M60A1 kit.
Did some cutting and filing on it as a parts doner.  Is different and lousy plastic to work with.
Is darn close to being Tupperware.  Tossing this out to ask if others have had same AMT experience.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
Re: AMT plastic
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:28:37 AM »
Never built anything from them but car kits and sci/fi kits. The cars are done in a different but soft plastic that I find easy to work with. The StarTrek kits I've built over many years, have been.close to what you describe. Best thing about it is it glued well and works well with Mr. Dremel !!!  Seemed a lot like some of the old eastern block kits from the past. Seems they use different plastics for different types of kits ... ???
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:30:20 PM »
Yep, I always found AMT plastic to be "soapy" in texture, and the Revell plastic to be more brittle, with the Airfix and Monogram plastics a nice in between. On the plus, AMY plastic tend to flex better than any of the above before it breaks.

Alvis 3.1

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 09:06:25 PM »
Memories of yesteryears are Momogram being brittle, Revell less so, and Aurora softer.