Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905677 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #1400 on: October 17, 2016, 06:02:09 AM »

In this scenario, the Studebaker line-up is curtailled to the new Raymond Loewy-designed 'Lowboy' series. For the RW 1953 Studebaker 'Lowboy', chief designer Raymond Loewy had envisioned sedan, hardtop, and convertible models. But Studebaker built only one 1953 Commander Convertible prototype. Initially, Harold Vance was only interested in producing the sedan. Coupes were also produced only at Loewy's insistance.

This whif has the convertible model produced but the 'Lowboys' also take styling cues from the Maserti 300S  - as did the Packard Paladin (above). Naming was also rationalized -- with a Silver Hawk sedan, Starlight coupe, and Stylar convertible. A short-wheelbase convertible was also introduced as the Studebaker Sunburst.

All of the 'Lowboys' were powered by an aluminum-block Packard '270' 269 cid V-8 or a Continental 226 cid (3.7L) Red Seal 6-cylinder with a 2-barrel carburetor (Studebaker's flathead 170 cid/2.8 L 'Champion Six' having been abandoned). Sports models had Packard-style twin 4-barrel carbs on V-8s or triple 1-bbls on the 'Super 6'. The Packard Paladin lineup was closely related to the Studebaker Silver Hawk.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1401 on: October 17, 2016, 06:02:55 AM »

In this scenario, I expanded Studebaker's overseas assembly. Shown here are two 'Lowboy' variants adapted to export markets - the Studebaker Scout Utility assembled in Australia and the Studebaker Serval GT sedan delivery assembled in South Africa.

For the record, Real World assembly of Studebakers outside of the US and Canada consisted of: Australia (CCM); Belgium (D'Ieteren); Chile (Studebaker-Bolocco SA); Israel (Kaiser-Ilin); Mexico (Studebaker de México, SA); New Zealand (Standard, and later Motor Holdings); and South Africa (SAMAD).
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1402 on: October 17, 2016, 06:03:56 AM »

This unrelated scenario is slightly later. In the RW timeline, Brooks Stevens 'refreshes' Raymond Loewy's 1953 hardtop design as the Gran Turismo Hawk in 1961. But here, Stevens works with a slightly longer (and heavier gauge) frame. The result is the Studebaker Sceptre family car available as a four- or-two door sedan.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1403 on: October 17, 2016, 06:05:18 AM »

In this scenario, the Studebaker Avanti is introduced sooner and is intended as a more direct rival to the Chevrolet Corvette. The original Raymond Loewy Avanti concept is reworked by Brooks Stevens. A longer, more streamlined nose is introduced with 'pop-up' headlights. The convertible Avanti is introduced in 1961, a hardtop Avanti followed for the 1962 model year.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1404 on: October 17, 2016, 06:06:47 AM »

Another unrelated scenario and later still. Here, John DeLorean stays with Studebaker-Packard instead of moving to Pontiac. The result is a 'muscle car' development of the Hawk series (instead of Pontiac's GTO). In doing so, Studebaker anticipates the 'Pony Car' trend. In mid-1964, the Studebaker Stallion hardtop is rushed to market to compete with Ford's new Mustang.

The Stallion's advantage over the Falcon-based Mustang is in having a full frame. This, and a factory '6-Pack' option, wins fans in the performance world. In 1965, a convertible Stallion joins the Studebaker stable.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #1405 on: October 17, 2016, 12:41:22 PM »
 :)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #1406 on: October 17, 2016, 05:06:21 PM »

Where's the fastback? I wanna buy one! :-*
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1407 on: October 18, 2016, 07:43:14 AM »

Good luck Old Wombat. Only 1,198 of those mid-1965 model Stallion GTX fastback were built, making them much sought-after by collectors.

Shown here is the Stallion GTX fastback with some options included - 6-Pack carburetors/carburettors and ram-air hood-scoop, chromed sidepipe exhausts, and reverse-aerofoil rear 'spoiler' wing. Options not taken up on this car were front and rear bumperettes, twin raked AM/FM radio antennae, and wire wheel rims.

For the 1966 Stallion GTX fastback, the wire rims option was replaced by 5-spoke 'mag' wheels and the sidepipe exhausts introduced heat shields.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #1408 on: October 18, 2016, 08:17:14 AM »
Bru-um! Bru-um! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1409 on: October 18, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »
More things with wheels... These vehicles sprang from a notion of a belatedly-recognized Azawad. In this scenario, the French attack Tuareg forces in Northern Mali (as in RW timeline). However, the Azawad government in Kidal signed a cease-fire agreement with Mali's interim government on 22 May 2014. The French then negotiated a rapprochement with Kidal in late May/early June 2014. After 08 June, French forces began cooperating with Azawad forces in combating Islamist forces north of the Niger River.

Bottom Right: An ex-Libyan BRDM-1 featuring the so-called 'Ubari mod' (after the Libyan oasis town of Ubari where the changes were made. The 'Ubari mod' was an attempt to lighten the vehicle while improving its tractability in sandy conditions.

The BRDM's ineffectual and mechanically-complex auxiliary wheel system was removed and replaced with unpowered wheels. Wheels for BRDM 'Ubari mods' were sourced from a variety of 'donors'. In this case, the wheels seem to have been taken from a Libyan Army 122 mm D-30 howitzer.

This vehicle also has mods to its upper hull to provide an open weapons bay (main armament is an ex-Libyan 106 mm M40A1 recoilless rifle). As a carrier, this BRDM was given the rather unimaginative name of í-mnas (camel). An early version of the Azawad flag has been painted on the hull. To the rear, a more official 'Azawad' (in the Tifinagh script) bumper sticker has been applied.

This 'Ubari mod' BRDM-1 was knocked out during an airstrike by French Mirage 2000a in late January 2012.

Top Left: An Azawadi 'technical' after the rapprochement with the French. This Toyoto Hilux has lost its doors and roof structure. In its place is a roll-cage salvaged from a French Panhard VPS (since the main gun is of Russian origin, that VPS was probably a disable vehicle that was stripped and then abandoned by 1er RPIMa in 2013).

This 'technical' is marked with 'Azawad' (in Tifinagh) on a fender box, an MNLA sticker further aft on the front fender, and 'Azawad' spray-bombed on to the rear fender. The Azawadi national flag is flown as a recognition devise from a handy whip antenna.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #1410 on: October 18, 2016, 10:58:28 AM »
Nice combat vehicles, mate! :)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1411 on: October 18, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »

Good luck Old Wombat. Only 1,198 of those mid-1965 model Stallion GTX fastback were built, making them much sought-after by collectors.

Shown here is the Stallion GTX fastback with some options included - 6-Pack carburetors/carburettors and ram-air hood-scoop, chromed sidepipe exhausts, and reverse-aerofoil rear 'spoiler' wing. Options not taken up on this car were front and rear bumperettes, twin raked AM/FM radio antennae, and wire wheel rims.

For the 1966 Stallion GTX fastback, the wire rims option was replaced by 5-spoke 'mag' wheels and the sidepipe exhausts introduced heat shields.

The scaled Avanti rear light makes it look very Interceptor like.  FF version available. ;)
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

« Reply #1412 on: October 19, 2016, 08:37:50 PM »
That 1966 Stallion GTX fastback...

So beautiful...

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1413 on: October 20, 2016, 02:24:23 AM »
Ah shucks ... thanks folks.

Jon: It wasn't intentional but I'm a later-model Interceptor/FF fan (and the Jensen-Healey too).

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1414 on: October 20, 2016, 07:52:20 AM »
What? More with those bl**dy Studebakers?  :o

Top Left: In the 1964, the Scout Utility morphed into more of a mini-pickup truck. The 'Plain Jane' entry-level Scout Utility is shown here. Options taken up were the 'city' rear bumper and a fibreglass 'cap' sourced from John Savage boats (Williamstown, Vic) which also provided CCM/Studebaker with aluminium bed covers and caps.

Bottom Right: 1964 Studebaker Daytona with revised quarter panels. No backstory here, I just never liked those rear fenders. I think Brooks Stevens did an amazing job on a budget refresh ... I just can't get past those back fenders ;p

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1415 on: October 23, 2016, 11:49:17 AM »
Treadhead GB entry: 'Short Leopards' from the leichten Panzerfamilie -- the Jagdpanzer Kanone 105mm and the Argentine VC Leopardo Patagón (aka Pampas Katze).

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6771.0

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1416 on: October 25, 2016, 02:30:31 PM »
Another Treadhead GB entry with more 'Short Leopards'-- the Flakpanzer Wildkatze 27 ZLW and an upgunned C3A1 Lynx II of the Canadian Army in Germany.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6771.msg116807#msg116807

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1417 on: October 26, 2016, 01:11:03 PM »

In the Armour Inspiration thread, Greg was musing on a larger turret for the Spähpanzer Luchs.
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sgpobumrq5gk57aj1nusos5il5&topic=939.msg116708#msg116708

Fitting a big gun onto the Luchs would be difficult ... the turret ring being small and upper hull space being limited. That got me wondering about an RWS instead.

So, here is the SPz 2 Luchs B1 - a revamped Luchs with Rheinmetall Lance RC turret. To give the turret room, I still had to move the engine aft. That, in turn, displaced the Luchs' rear driver position.

Removing the rear driver got me thinking about a more compact Spähpanzer ... and out popped a 6x6 SPz 2 with a reduced crew (no rear driver) -  the Spähpanzer Luchs Kurz.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #1418 on: October 26, 2016, 02:19:23 PM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1419 on: October 30, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »

Another 'Short Leopard' installment over at the Treadhead GB

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6771.msg117054#msg117054

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1420 on: December 15, 2016, 08:21:57 AM »
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=6718.msg118966#msg118966

taiidantomcat was musing about AAV whifs ... which got the wheels turning.

One thought was using the AAV-7 track system for a distinct USMC IFV series. I've used the ASCOD Pizarro (although, for a corporate POV, the CV90 might have been more plausible?).

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1421 on: December 15, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »
Another AAV-7 variant whif. This one keeps things inside BAE Systems by mounting the 155mm/52-calibre gun and of turret of BAE Systems Land Systems' AS-90 Braveheart SP on a re-arranged (and lengthened) AAV hull.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #1422 on: December 15, 2016, 11:18:35 PM »
Interesting! :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #1423 on: December 16, 2016, 12:37:22 PM »
Another whack at the AAV ... this time on wheels (from the Iveco Centauro to keep it in the BAE family).

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1424 on: December 16, 2016, 02:31:21 PM »
Looks like it belongs in the next Karl Urban Judge Dredd flick.  ;D
conspiracy.”