Author Topic: N.A. P-51D Sorta Stang II Revell 1/72 scale kit H-619 from 1963  (Read 2905 times)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Yep another one, this is what happens when I'm "dared to" and you Out Of the Box it,
My modified "Sorta Stang" is here;
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7582.msg133749#msg133749

This is my third or fourth or even fifth build of this kit, two H-619 versions no longer exist bar a lone propeller blade, the previous build above.

This is how this kit was originally released back in 1963 before being tampered with by Revell in the early 1970's, not sure how Revell made such a mess of it, but it was built by a whole generation of budding modelers until we learnt just how very bad the kit was. Built as Out Of the Box as possible, see the Workbench link at the end.
I hope my new online picture storage (Google Drive) does not give you guys as much grief as other forums.
The outrageously wrong OOB colour scheme and poor/missing details and shapes must be the greatest error in the modelling community apart from the travesty that the Aurora Spitfire kit was. And Revell keep reboxing it 11 releases later
So OOB it's meant to be N.A. P-51D-10-NA Mustang "Millie P" 44-14985 "CY-G" 343rd FS, 55th FG finished in the outrageous insignia red over NMF with a green demarcation stripe, red/yellow spinner and nose checkers, dk.blue/red wing and dk.blue/yellow tailplane recognition stripes although on the box art the stripes are green/red and green/yellow the decals are dk.blue and you get to paint the main colour red or yellow in, needless to say as kids we only put the stripe decals on and left it as is. This was the first Mustang flown by Maj. Ed Giller, all were actually called "Millie G", note the name. The aircraft was actually olive drab over NMF, with red demarcation stripes, green/yellow spinner and nose checkers with a yellow rudder, black wing and white tail recognition stripes.

North American P-51D-10-NA Mustang "Millie P" 44-14985/CY-G 1/72 scale Revell kit no.H-619 from 1963. Built from 25Nov2017 to 07Apr2019. 
The 1963 box,

The "Millie P" or "Sorta Stang II", really should be "I" I 'spose but .... you know,

With my other five Mustangs,

With the "Sorta Stang",
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EJfEEBIdPNnnwJsBRGK0LrxsxhZwJ8V9/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for looking,
This is how it sorta looked on playgrounds around Oz when I were a lad (at the oldest Primary School in OZ).
Well apologies for the 2nd showing of a "horror" kit, I did try to give it some "life" but in the end I just wanted it finished.
Just remember that Revell has released this kit 11 times, the latest in 2013 Nr-64148  :o

Workbench build ; https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/faaman-s-workbenches-t47233.html#p824108

Regards all  :icon_beer: :icon_beer:
FAA  8) 8) 8) 8)

Corrected image details for you.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:04:04 AM by GTX_Admin »
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
Re: N.A. P-51D Sorta Stang II Revell 1/72 scale kit H-619 from 1963
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 10:55:43 PM »
You deserve a  :icon_beer: after putting up with that kit.
Great job on the painting and weathering!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 11:25:45 PM »
Glutton for punishment, ain't you, ol' buddy! ;)

Looks good to me! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
And Late Spring 1963...
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 01:57:43 AM »
...I'd seen first-issue Revell "Warbird" fighters for sale mixed in with AMT, Aurora, Lindberg, Monogram, Renwal, StromBecKer, UPC et. al. classic kit brands of the day before the first Airfix of America issues in the Thrifty's Drug Store adjacent to a Ralph's Supermarket northwest corner Del Amo & Paramount Boulevards in Lakewood CA where today there's a Social Security office. Knight, Leynnwood, Steel et. al. rendered lotta of Revell's box art then, they, Joseph Kotula et. al. kit art renderings indeed were the stuff of pre & early teenage dreams for boys like me then.

I have a c.1966-67 H-612 "black end" box reissue Bf.109 similar to the 1963 original with instructions & decals though missing tail plane support struts (got resin replacements), if were original would not build it but will do so by end of 2021. The first "Warbirds" series issues in 1963 were:

Monoplanes
  • H-611 Spitfire Mk.II
  • H-612 Messerschmitt ME 109E
  • H-613 Republic Thunderbolt P-47D
  • H-615 Focke-Wulf 190
  • H-616 Hawker Hurricane
  • H-617 Mitsubishi Zero
  • H-619 Mustang P-51D
  • H-620 Hawker Tempest
  • H-621 Kawasaki Hein
Biplanes
  • H-627 Spad XIII
  • H-628 Sopwith Camel
  • H-629 Albatros D-III
Other single kit "Warbird" subjects were released 1964-67 when Revell then mixed new & reissue subject releases in "Fighter" & "Aces" triple-kit boxes till 1969 including H-677 Pioneer Fighters of WWII Curtis P-26A, P-36A Macchi C.200, only way then I could build the C.200 having to shelve out U.S. $1.75 to do so!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 12:01:37 PM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 10:53:16 AM »
This is weird, I can't see my own pics, just links. Can everyone else see the pics on the post?
Anyhoo, forgot some info in my post and fixed my workbench link so it works now.

Thanks Kerick I'm glad you like it, much cold water and tea was consumed during and after this completion.

Thanks Wombat for the kind words, not up to your standards though. Just remember a nice coat of paint can hide a multitude of sins. Never again will I 'punish' myself I hope . . . . . . . . . but I found another H-47 kit in the bottom of the stash a few weeks back :icon_crap:

Not sure what you're post is referring to Retired In Kalifornia. I know that the first Airfix kits in the USA were straight imported kits from the UK sometime in 1960. Then along came Airfix of America with it's ridiculously poor box art which unfortunately was also a feature of a lot of US box scale aircraft kits.
Revell were the first in the US, though not by much, to produce a line of constant scale aircraft kits (an idea they got from Airfix and Frog), Monogram, Lindberg and Auroura produced mainly to a constant 1/48 scale with some 1/72 scale and the large number of 1950's produced random box scale kits so beloved in the USA as well.
My model club (when it existed) back in the late 1970's used to have an annual Awful Kit Competition where you built Out Of the Box using the kit's own decals and paint guide to produce a well built model. It was then judged on how 'wrong' it was. Lots of Lindberg, Aurora, Renwal and Monogram kits on show, the worst being an all red zero and of course the Revell Mustang above. Wrongness was also a feature of Airfix (original Fw 190D, Spitfire BT-K and Spitfire Mk.IX) and Frog (Mosquito, Fw 190, Spitfire Mk.I).
From your list I've built the Spitfire (a later boxing Collector's Choice kit as an early two blade MK.I that I still have), the '109, P-51D "Sorta Stang" (2 of  ;D), Tempest (still have) and Hein. I'll find replacements for the two missing models from my collection.

I suppose what was surprising to us as kids and now as adults that the earlier 1958 Airfix Mustang ( https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/1958-na-p-51d-mustang-1-72-t166.html ) was so much better than this awful kit. I remember clearly being in the playground and a kid came up to join into our game with an Airfix Mustang his brother had just helped him finish, very different from our red Mustangs, and one of us asked " . . . . where's the grill? . . . . " on the radiator intake that is. We were very surprised at how wrong our models were compared to the (older mold) Airfix model. The Revell kits cost 85 cents Oz, more expensive than the Airfix baggies at 75 cents.

FAA  8) 8) 8) 8)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 12:01:04 PM »
...Not sure what you're post is referring to Retired In Kalifornia. I know that the first Airfix kits in the USA were straight imported kits from the UK sometime in 1960. Then along came Airfix of America with it's ridiculously poor box art which unfortunately was also a feature of a lot of US box scale aircraft kits...
I indeed was referring to the 1963-1965 Airfix of America (a U.S. corporation) line, this when U.S. tariffs slapped on imported model kits forced International Model Aircraft Ltd (FROG), Heller et. al. European makers to partner with U.S. model manufactures, e.g. Pyro Plastics FROGs under the Air Lines label (also a U.S. corporation) c.1964-66, BUZCO Heller WWII Armée de l’Air et. al. pre & post-war subjects c.1967, Airfix Craftmaster c.1965-1967. UPC before & meantime reissued Marusan et. al. Japanese brands till after tariffs were lifted c.1967 when slews of them well as those of the European makers were being directly imported. Revell's 1962 H-201 Boeing B-17F Memphis Belle (later reissued as an E-Model) indeed was their first 1/72 scale offering, till November 2015 I had multiple samples of every one of their pre-1970 1/72 scale airplane model subjects including several U.S. & U.K. first issues.

Am assuming y'all were building model subjects onwards like me late 1950s onwards, hobby stores particularly the "full spectrum" ones in Kalifornee big towns carried the imports though I didn't begin frequenting them in Sacramento till literally days before JFK was assassinated in November 1963. If were a time machine I'd hurry into them to find a first-issue Aliplast FIAT G.55 import well as a 1963 copy of Karl Ries Jr's Markings and Camouflage Systems of Luftwaffe Aircraft, something I'd totally missed out on then.

Yes, the Airfix of America kit box art for their 1963-64 issues are bloody awful though some I'd liked at the time notably the Heinkel 111H-20 silly as it was "flying" near wavetop over the Thames well as the Ju-87B & Fw-190D art. Am going to build the 87B kit again as part of my 1960s Battle of Britain series build c.2021-22, awful as it is do want to make amends for that nearly completed one I'd dropped on the apartment kitchen floor in 1980 - the pain lingers alas.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 12:57:26 PM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Online Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 12:22:43 PM »
Model kits for less than a buck! That was a while ago!

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 12:54:13 PM »
Model kits for less than a buck! That was a while ago!
That also when Pactra, Testors even Floquil paints were all less than 60-cents/bottle c.1965. I remember Testors PLA paints partnered with Air Lines were dime a bottle; Pactra I think marketed the first enamel flats. I'd quit building around this time in 1969 though kept up on new kit releases, paints and particularly research publications, prices for them skyrocketed after the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo then again following the 1979 one after I'd resumed building some months earlier. I paint with enamels so am a dinosaur though have enough stocks to finish all my planned kit builds.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:23:27 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2019, 05:25:55 PM »
Yep another one, this is what happens when I'm "dared to" and you Out Of the Box it,
My modified "Sorta Stang" is here;
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7582.msg133749#msg133749

This is my third or fourth or even fifth build of this kit, two H-619 versions no longer exist bar a lone propeller blade, the previous build above.

This is how this kit was originally released back in 1963 before being tampered with by Revell in the early 1970's, not sure how Revell made such a mess of it, but it was built by a whole generation of budding modelers until we learnt just how very bad the kit was. Built as Out Of the Box as possible, see the Workbench link at the end.
I hope my new online picture storage (Google Drive) does not give you guys as much grief as other forums.
The outrageously wrong OOB colour scheme and poor/missing details and shapes must be the greatest error in the modelling community apart from the travesty that the Aurora Spitfire kit was. And Revell keep reboxing it 11 releases later
So OOB it's meant to be N.A. P-51D-10-NA Mustang "Millie P" 44-14985 "CY-G" 343rd FS, 55th FG finished in the outrageous insignia red over NMF with a green demarcation stripe, red/yellow spinner and nose checkers, dk.blue/red wing and dk.blue/yellow tailplane recognition stripes although on the box art the stripes are green/red and green/yellow the decals are dk.blue and you get to paint the main colour red or yellow in, needless to say as kids we only put the stripe decals on and left it as is. This was the first Mustang flown by Maj. Ed Giller, all were actually called "Millie G", note the name. The aircraft was actually olive drab over NMF, with red demarcation stripes, green/yellow spinner and nose checkers with a yellow rudder, black wing and white tail recognition stripes.

North American P-51D-10-NA Mustang "Millie P" 44-14985/CY-G 1/72 scale Revell kit no.H-619 from 1963. Built from 25Nov2017 to 07Apr2019. 
The 1963 box,

The "Millie P" or "Sorta Stang II", really should be "I" I 'spose but .... you know,

With my other five Mustangs,

With the "Sorta Stang",
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EJfEEBIdPNnnwJsBRGK0LrxsxhZwJ8V9/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for looking,
This is how it sorta looked on playgrounds around Oz when I were a lad (at the oldest Primary School in OZ).
Well apologies for the 2nd showing of a "horror" kit, I did try to give it some "life" but in the end I just wanted it finished.
Just remember that Revell has released this kit 11 times, the latest in 2013 Nr-64148  :o

Workbench build ; https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/faaman-s-workbenches-t47233.html#p824108

FAA  8) 8) 8) 8)

You had them as "url" links, not "img" links, mate. I can't get the last one (With the "Sorta Stang") to play the game, sorry.

For image links: Copy & paste the link then highlight & find the "Mona Lisa" icon (Oddly, I just figured out that that's what the icon picture is after all this time! :-\), if you hover the cursor over it it should say "Insert Image" (it's between the "Insert Flash" & "Insert Hyperlink" icons above the emojies.

Cheers! :icon_beer:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »
Hey Wombat thanks :smiley: I'll get my tech expert onto this tomorrow. Just had two weeks off and I'm back at work tomorrow morning 0500  ::) ::)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 10:06:15 PM »
That's a real looker even if it's not "accurate" FAA! Your paintwork is amazing and the gun staining is superbly sublime.

Brian da Basher

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »
Thanks for that Mr DaBasher, glad you liked my "Sorta Stang II", it took more work than it should've.
The gun staining was done with a simple mix of Mud Brown and Black artist's pastel chalk. A broad flat artists brush (with the bristles mostly cut off) was used to work the chalk dust into the matt varnish used in that spot (to help the chalk dust adhere), then a quick zap with Gunze Matt Rattlecan varnish to seal the effect in.

A couple more pics, hopefully Wombat's fix works,

Regards all  :icon_beer:
FAA  8) 8)

Offline FAAMAN

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 08:15:22 PM »
Thankyou GTX for helping with my posted photos  :smiley:  :smiley:
Very much appreciated,
Regards,
FAA  8)