Author Topic: Misshapen kits and ideas for them.  (Read 5507 times)

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Misshapen kits and ideas for them.
« on: November 16, 2012, 03:47:01 AM »
Yes, I confess, fidelity of shape matters to me. A lot, to put it in decidedly American terms.  The Academy Spitfire XIV?  :-\ :-\ :-X!!!

So there are a number of kits out there with mild to moderate shape errors that lend themselves well to Whiffery without a lot of necessary surgery.   The following are ideas that work With the known issues rather than against them and provide a knowledged observer a double take.  ;D

1:48.   

Hobbycraft/ESCI MIG-23.  Slightly stretch the nose right behind the radome say 10mm or so, rescribe, aftermarket tailpipe, add a few MLG well doodles and it's a prototype interceptor.   The overly squished canopy will amplify the look of the nose stretch.

Fujimi Me-110.   Since the aft fuselage is markedly too short, make the vertical tails smaller and rounder, fixed gear/spatted.   Graft Hobbycraft Me-109B, C, or D noses onto wing for engines if in lines are preferred.  Cloth outer wings.

Italeri Re-2002.  Convert to fabric wing as an excuse for that crazy thick wing, delete the head fairing altogether, open cockpit, resin Wildcat prop, large spinner, simple paint scheme.   It might look quite good.

Hobbycraft MiG-17 retool.  T-tail, relocate speed brakes.   It's also a great candidate for major surgery projects, but that's for elsewhere. 

« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:14:04 AM by Daryl J. »
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Re: Misshapen kits and ideas for them.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:38:40 AM »
Fujimi Me-110.

Why not remove the wings, turn it around and make a rail bike out of it like your friend did with the Fw-190? 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 05:27:24 AM »
 ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:51:56 AM »
Revell MiG-25:   It's all but safe to presume resin wheel wells, burner cans, cockpit, and tires are coming for the KH kit.  Add some of those bits, reshape vertical tails, wing span, and such one the Revell kit.  Display it as a cancelled prototype or cancelled paper variant of the big welded beast.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 06:15:19 AM »
I must confess for my aircraft builds price is more the factor as they're all intended for wargaming ....... the first time they get knocked and the props break that removes any issues of accuracy  >:D

What would be neat though is to have some sort of kit list/table with its pros/cons so that potential builders would know what work is required.
I know you can look up a partiuclar kit on the nets but a table is much easier to look at before heading out with the wifes shopping money ....

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 07:11:21 AM »
Revell MiG-25:   It's all but safe to presume resin wheel wells, burner cans, cockpit, and tires are coming for the KH kit.  Add some of those bits, reshape vertical tails, wing span, and such one the Revell kit.  Display it as a cancelled prototype or cancelled paper variant of the big welded beast.

Here's an idea:

Actually, this is what I intended to do with my Revell 1/48 Foxbat. Before I sold it, that is. Now I'll have to do it in 1/72.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 08:33:32 AM »
 :-*
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
Academy Spit XIV: Remove wings, propeller, wrap in tissue to simulate burlap. Construct crate, stencil on it "To Burma"
Bury in ground, forget where. Make 1/48 English Aircraft Recovery Investigator, Russian Investors and TV crew standing around looking puzzled.

Alvis 3.1

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 11:35:30 AM »
Starfix T-38... ?
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »
Academy Spit XIV: Remove wings, propeller, wrap in tissue to simulate burlap. Construct crate, stencil on it "To Burma"
Bury in ground, forget where. Make 1/48 English Aircraft Recovery Investigator, Russian Investors and TV crew standing around looking puzzled.

Alvis 3.1

;D  ;D  :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »

Alvis 3.1

That may be the funniest post on the model airplane DB's in a long time!   :) ;D ;D
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 12:48:04 PM »

Alvis 3.1

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.