Author Topic: Tamiya 1/35 JGSDF LAV  (Read 5695 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Tamiya 1/35 JGSDF LAV
« on: July 24, 2020, 02:24:58 AM »
Next up is the Tamiya 1/35 JGSDF LAV. This is going to be a what if build.

I got it in a trade second hand and it was already started. The original owner gobbed in a ton of CA glue in the interior. Some parts were broken. The wishbone suspension was chewed up. I tried to salvage what I could.

Interior started. Hand painted in Vallejo polyurethane black and Vallejo Model Color Olive Drab.

Interior lightly weathered.

Main body hand painted in Model Master FS34102.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:29:25 AM by Ramba »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Tamiya 1/35 JGSDF LAV
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 02:55:54 AM »
What do you have in mind for it or is that a secret?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 03:03:19 AM »
What do you have in mind for it or is that a secret?

No secret. It will be in overall green as shown in the last photo. It isn't going to be from the JGSDF though, just an armored vehicle. I am adding a couple home made decals of a skull on the two front doors that I saved off Google. It will eventually go an a diorama and I am adding a couple Nuts Planet PMC figures that will be standing next to the LAV. The next update will show the door decals.

These are the Nuts Planet PMC figures that will go with the LAV. I am going to have both front doors open and one figure on each side of the vehicle.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 09:18:31 AM »
This is going to be neat! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 11:44:43 PM »
The vehicle has a peculiar shape that would lend itself well to a sci-fi scenario.
Something District 9-ish, perhaps? MNU contractors? They looked pretty cool with the contrast between the camo gear and the white weapons and plate carriers/vests/body armour.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline Ramba

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 02:19:13 AM »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 02:20:58 AM »
The vehicle has a peculiar shape that would lend itself well to a sci-fi scenario.
Something District 9-ish, perhaps? MNU contractors? They looked pretty cool with the contrast between the camo gear and the white weapons and plate carriers/vests/body armour.

District 9 was a good movie. Pretty cool vehicles in it. I already painted mine green and it was all hand painted so just going to keep it green.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 02:23:25 AM »
Here are the front doors with the home made decals. I found the skull image on Google.

Got the LAV together. Still a lot more to do on it.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 04:11:47 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 09:34:05 AM »
"The Punisher" ain't got nothing on these guys! ;D :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 08:38:15 PM »
Finished! Not my best job. I didn't get the weathering the way I wanted but it is what it is.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 10:45:35 PM »
Simple but effective. I like it! 8)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 01:42:47 AM »
Nice! Looks completely un-JGSDF. Is the decal made on an inkjet or laser?

Offline Ramba

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 04:11:25 AM »
Simple but effective. I like it! 8)

Thanks! It actually looks better in person. The camera flash made the weathering on the wheels look heavier than they really are. The flash also washed out some of the weathering on the body.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 04:14:12 AM »

Thanks! I used a laser printer. I scaled the image down to fit on the doors. I didn't convert the image to a vector image because to much work to do that. The decals on the doors actually look better in person than in the photos. They are a bit blurred from scaling down and not converting to vector but in person they do look nicer.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 07:19:22 AM »
Still a neat vehicle.

Custom Decals came our really well

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 07:45:49 AM »
Thanks! I used a laser printer. I scaled the image down to fit on the doors. I didn't convert the image to a vector image because to much work to do that. The decals on the doors actually look better in person than in the photos. They are a bit blurred from scaling down and not converting to vector but in person they do look nicer.
Call it "in-scale" overspray from applying the markings with a can of spray paint and a template :smiley:

Overall, you have definitely done justice to that model.  I had one a long time ago and was put off by the metal undercarriage that I felt was a rather foolish decision by Tamiya to add some weight to the model.  The rest of the kit was really nice save for that chunk of metal underneath.  Same problem with the Tamiya Le Clerc kit. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 07:59:07 AM »
Looks perfectly built then driven through dirt-mud.  Whatz not to like.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:02:15 AM by finsrin »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 08:27:28 PM »
Still a neat vehicle.

Custom Decals came our really well

Thank you!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 08:29:28 PM »
Call it "in-scale" overspray from applying the markings with a can of spray paint and a template :smiley:

Overall, you have definitely done justice to that model.  I had one a long time ago and was put off by the metal undercarriage that I felt was a rather foolish decision by Tamiya to add some weight to the model.  The rest of the kit was really nice save for that chunk of metal underneath.  Same problem with the Tamiya Le Clerc kit.

Thank you! Yeah, my thoughts exactly, over spray from being spray painted on. The metal chassis was weird! It worked out in the end though.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 08:29:51 PM »
Looks perfectly built then driven through dirt-mud.  Whatz not to like.  :smiley:

Thank you!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 11:09:52 PM »
Finally decided what I am going to do with this Tamiya 1/35 JGSDF LAV. I originally made it as a what if and it will be going on a dio. It will be a what if mercenary dio. One guy got wounded and another guy is dragging him to safety. Another guy is kneeling down at the rear of the vehicle providing cover fire and another guy at the driver side yelling to hurry up.

I am still iin the planning stage as to what type of base to put it all on. In the meantime, here are a couple drone footage stills of the proposed layout of just the vehicle and figures.

Some photos from the press on the ground.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:11:33 PM by Ramba »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2021, 12:41:11 AM »
Neat! 8)

If I was the guy doing the dragging, the guy doing the "Hurry up!"-ing would get a smack in the chops at the first opportunity, as he could be either giving more covering fire or help dragging to speed up the process. :icon_twisted:

But the dio idea looks like a real winner! ;) :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 02:45:54 AM »
Off to a good start

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 09:55:30 AM »
Great stuff! Plenty of drama going on there  :smiley:
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Ramba

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2021, 07:29:14 AM »
Thanks everyone! Still trying to decide what the base layout is going to be. I have a few Miniart dioramas that I might choose one from.

I am thinking one of these.