Author Topic: Churchill SP 5.5inch  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Churchill SP 5.5inch
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »
Found me another project !
a box of Churchill bits popped up from previous conversions. As the 5.5inch Crusader has been shoved to the back of the pile, I thought time to do something with this stuff and sort of resurrect the SP 5.5 Inch gun idea but using a Churchill. There was a project to SP the 5.5inch with the Centurion but perhaps in a '46 scenario it was done in redundant Churchills as Centurions came online as gun tanks.

OK, the first gotcha as lack of running gear (again !!!) stil,l can work around that for the moment.
This is what I have achieved this weekend
Built up some superstructure using the usual suspects of placcy card and bits. Gun tube is from tube stock.

had a rivetting good time drilling holes for Tichy Train Rivets

Using up some Tamiya and AFV Club Churchill bits.

At this stage this build will be fording a stream, what better way to hide the lack of running gear 8)

Cheers
Brian t
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 11:23:23 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Churchill SP 5.5inch
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:50:41 AM »
Off to a good start!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 01:54:53 AM »
No tracks?  No problem!  Churchill hover tank! :)

No chance that Centurion tracks will work on the Churchill? 

If not, then there are several sets of replacement tracks for the Churchill from AFV Club and FruilModel:

AFV Club (35156) Workable Track for Churchill

AFV Club (35183) Churchill Track (Workable) HCSBSST / BTS 3 Heavy Built Up

FruilModel (ATL-060) Track Link Set - Churchill (170 Links)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:03:56 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:41:08 AM »
Coolness like that deserves to have running gear and tracks !!!!!

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »
Thanks folks.

Tracks are not an issue, I have most of the AFV Club sets and left over Tamiya track, the missing bits are the sponsons with the springs and all the road wheels, which are a major component of the Churchill look.  All that gear was used on the Black Prince scratchbuild.

I now have some tracks on around the idler sprocket and some tube to replicate the drive sprocket position. Enough to give the impression of tracks in the fording scenario, which is a nice challenge itself to pull that off convincingly.

Cheers

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:15:59 AM »
The thing about water in an armor dio versus a naval dio is that for the most part you're dealing with shallow versus deep water.  Naval dios can get away with painting the gel or resin a number of different shades of blue, gloss coating it and calling it done.  Armor guys seem to go for clear water so that you can see what's beneath it.  I'm not just talking about the vehicle but the plant life, river bottom, fish, etc...  That's not to say you couldn't give it a naval treatment but I wonder how convincing it would look given the larger scale?  That being said, you could go a winter route and have a bunch of ice on top of the river that could conveniently mask any missing bits below the waterline.  Could serve for some interesting field applied camo and equipment options too.  Winter of '46 anyone?

Just thinking out loud  :)  Love this vehicle idea by the way!  Please continue regardless of the route you take!!!
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 07:58:29 AM »
Very cool! Turret has a kind of PzH 2000 look to it!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 09:20:12 AM »
The thing about water in an armor dio versus a naval dio is that for the most part you're dealing with shallow versus deep water.  Naval dios can get away with painting the gel or resin a number of different shades of blue, gloss coating it and calling it done.  Armor guys seem to go for clear water so that you can see what's beneath it.  I'm not just talking about the vehicle but the plant life, river bottom, fish, etc...  That's not to say you couldn't give it a naval treatment but I wonder how convincing it would look given the larger scale?  That being said, you could go a winter route and have a bunch of ice on top of the river that could conveniently mask any missing bits below the waterline.  Could serve for some interesting field applied camo and equipment options too.  Winter of '46 anyone?

Just thinking out loud  :)  Love this vehicle idea by the way!  Please continue regardless of the route you take!!!

Ah, but a tank (or, in this case, SP gun) fording a sluggish stream or river would churn up lots & lots of silt & sludge, which would make the water all clouded & opaque!

In MMI, Issue 97, May 2014, there is a great diorama of a French LCM & LCVP in a river in Indochina & the water is a murky green/brown with a thin, clear surface layer. Looks stunning!
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »
Mega quick update... I have sourced some suspension. Even I gotta say it does look much better.

Next is paint.

Big shout out to local supplier Hobby HQ here in Melbourne (and worldwide). They can supply individual sprues for Tamiya kits on occasions for suitable kits. Got the C and A sprues and Churchill SP back in business.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 11:24:22 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 03:26:53 AM »
So much for the hover tank :)

Sure does look much better and the contrast in plastic color really highlights the suspension parts from the original kit parts. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 05:55:03 AM »
I was rootin' for the hovertank too!  :(

Jeff's right, the suspension looks absolutely aces!

Brian da Basher

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 07:25:13 AM »
Painting done.. went for a late war "normal" scheme of the blackish over the olive drab

then the weathering...
GAAAARGHHHHHH !!!! over did it >:( >:(

time for a nice clean up with some more white spirit to get most of this off

More later.. if I don't botch up the recovery process >:(
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 11:25:25 AM by Buzzbomb »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
Looks great, Brian! 8)

Weathering may be a little over done, perhaps, but not ridiculously so & much better than my poor attempts. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."