Author Topic: Modernized M-41 for the USMC  (Read 19552 times)

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
Modernized M-41 for the USMC
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
So, inspired by Old Wombat's M-41 in Australian Marines service, I picked up Tamiya's 1/35 kit (40% off @ Hobby Lobby) with the intention of making an upgraded/upgunned alternative to the M1 for use with the US Marine Corps MEUs (Marine Expeditionary Unit).  At about half the weight and much smaller than the M1, I thought this would make it possible to 1) embark more tanks without a great increase in space used/weight taken up.  So, instead of a single platoon of 4 tanks a MEU could take 2 platoons/8 tanks, 2) lighter vehicles can be brought to shore faster (2 per LCAC instead of the 1 M1) and 3) more tanks mean more taskings for fire support of the infantry companies.

To that end, I've upgraded the main gun from 76mm to 105mm - placing it in a completely new turret and deleting the coax MG in this instance.  I'm moving the driver from the left side to center, the gas engine is theoretically replaced by a multi-fuel turbine and I'll add some armor side skirts as well. 

With that, here are the early stages of work so far:

Starting point:

Size comparison to an M-60 on the bench:

Front hull modification:

New turret:

Main gun (scratched from brass tube):

**Edited to add** Here's a profile view of the turret:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 01:55:29 AM by LemonJello »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Modernized M-41 for the USMC
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:51:11 PM »
OK, I'm watching! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 10:56:59 PM »
The side by side with the M-60 hull top really shows how much smaller the M-41 is, I had no idea the size difference was so dramatic.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 01:33:27 AM »
This is going to be fun to watch!
I've also been considering what to do with an M-41. Seems to be contagious around here. See what you started Old Wombat?!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 02:30:02 AM »
Multi-fuel engine - diesel, gas turbine, or SCORE (Stratified Charge Omnivorous Rotary Engine)?  The last would be a real whif since none has ever made production despite offering the smoothness of a turbine and better fuel consumption.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 02:43:51 AM »
Very interesting!  What era are you thinking?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 03:18:43 AM »
Very interesting!  What era are you thinking?

Probably early nineties up to the deployment for OIF - my spotty back story would have the MPS squadrons keep the M1s, and these M41s would be unique to the MEUs - the crews would be from the tank battalions but would use these "mobile gun systems" through work-ups and deployment.  If the need for heavier armor arose, the MPS would deliver those into theater and the crews switch over to the heavies.   

At first, I thought I had gone too big with the turret, but then I reasoned that if I keep the hull the same size, then the additional equipment for stabilized fire control and communication had to go somewhere.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 03:52:22 AM »
Looking good John.  The larger and wider turret really does make up for some of the internal space issues.  If you add an extended bustle rack to the turret it should look like it is ready to carry all the gear for the crew.  Is this going to be a three man crew with driver, gunner, vehicle commander with an auto-loading system for the main gun?  Or is it going to be the traditional four man crew with driver, gunner, loader, vehicle commander in keeping the numbers for the M1 Abrams four man crew requirements?
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 04:15:26 AM »
Looking good John.  The larger and wider turret really does make up for some of the internal space issues.  If you add an extended bustle rack to the turret it should look like it is ready to carry all the gear for the crew.  Is this going to be a three man crew with driver, gunner, vehicle commander with an auto-loading system for the main gun?  Or is it going to be the traditional four man crew with driver, gunner, loader, vehicle commander in keeping the numbers for the M1 Abrams four man crew requirements?

Jeff, good question regarding the crew.  I've gone back and forth, which would take up less space? Probably the 4 man crew.  Also lessens complexity and gives me another body for all the ancillary duties and tasks.  Though an auto-loader would mean that 4 M1 crews could be configured to crew 5 of these, so maybe they operate in 5 vehicle platoons? Or 4 and a support vehicle of some sort?

The bustle rack is coming as is a rework of the rear deck.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 05:02:53 AM »
Love that barrel. I think those kind of details really pay off!

Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 05:13:33 AM »
Hi John,

It would be nice if the rear deck from the M48 or M60 could be made to fit on the M41.  The large vent and access doors at the rear would certainly be practical from a maintenance stand point and it would then give you more room over the tracks for additional storage boxes plus a location for the air-cleaner boxes that could be reduced in size or left as is to give the suggestion of a major performance upgrade to the engine and transmission. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
Hi John,

It would be nice if the rear deck from the M48 or M60 could be made to fit on the M41.  The large vent and access doors at the rear would certainly be practical from a maintenance stand point and it would then give you more room over the tracks for additional storage boxes plus a location for the air-cleaner boxes that could be reduced in size or left as is to give the suggestion of a major performance upgrade to the engine and transmission.

Jeff, the rear deck and rear lower hull have been modified (pics to follow later tonight) - I cut out the existing vents/grills from the rear deck and modified that part to become the new rear access panels/vents (taking inspiration from the M60 and M1).  I am also looking to scribe in some access panels and air cleaner grills to the new rear deck.  You hit the nail on the head when you said "give the suggestion of a major performance upgrade" as that is exactly what I was going for with this. 

Fleshing out my history for this vehicle I see it as one of those "Marines getting more use from old equipment" ideas where dozens of M41s are found in long term storage out in Barstow, CA, a need for smaller, lighter armor with an equivalent punch to an M60 or early M1 is identified, and Marines come up with a way to rehabilitate the M41s economically and efficiently. 

Designation ideas?  M41M1 or M41UG?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
Designation ideas?  M41M1 or M41UG?

John,

Here are a couple of designations for you to consider:

M41NG ("Next Generation")
M41MGS (Mobile Gun System)
M41MFSS (Mobile Fire Support System)
M41IFSS (Interim Fire Support System)
M41TL ("Terminal Lance") [Corporal].  I am positive that Max Uriarte would appreciate this designation ;)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 01:58:26 AM »
Sounds like you have the situation well in hand. Just for future inspiration the Danish upgrade to their M-41s had a new engine and what appeared to be a whole new raised engine deck. Just a though, what if an engine compartment from a 1/48th M-60 were scale-o-ramaed into place? I'll have to look into that. Just throwing it out their as there seems to be M-41 fever breaking out!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 03:46:08 AM »
Progress photos from the factory floor. 

Upper hull/driver's position and engine deck modifications:

Gunner and commander's sighting systems in place:

Side view of turret with cupola and sighting systems:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 05:08:21 AM »
Being a M-41 fan, must say this is looking good :)
Looks feasible to me.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 08:57:30 AM »
I'm keeping tabs on this project. Lots of great ideas here that could be applied to many other vehicles besides the M-41. Carry On!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 09:13:50 AM »
This is looking really good. I want to steal borrow some of these ideas.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 05:03:41 AM »
Another update.  The rear deck has been changed to better reflect the installation of a turbine engine.  Also, the turret bustle has been added.  The only major fabrication left is the side skirts. 

Hull rear:

Turret bustle:

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 07:43:56 AM »
I have a feeling win you get the side skirts on this its going to look darn futuristic  8) Great work so far  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 07:28:33 AM »
Great work on that turret!  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Kerick

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:39 AM »
Love the turret! May I suggest storage racks on the sides of the turret? Just my $0.02 worth.
Why is it that American AFVs in particular always have so much baggage strapped to the outside of the vehicle? I know there is no room inside but some storage bins of some sort would seem to go a long way. Seems there would be duffle bags and ruck sacks scattered all over the battle field.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »
Construction is done and now it's waiting to go into the paint barn.  Just a couple update photos:

Side skirt blu-tacked in place for mock-up purposes:

Secondary armament in place.  Just to give the grunts a little extra support.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 09:20:09 PM »
Commanders AGL, I like that  :)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 11:37:54 PM »
Commanders AGL, I like that  :)

Nothing says "I love you" like a barrage of 40mm grenades.

Very believable upgrade to the M41. What is the reddish brown material?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 12:30:35 AM »

Krylon Terracotta textured spray paint.  I use it as the non-slip surface seen on some armor and aircraft. 

Offline Kerick

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 01:17:33 AM »

Krylon Terracotta textured spray paint.  I use it as the non-slip surface seen on some armor and aircraft.

That's good stuff for armor vehicles.
The TUSK mod on the M-1 Abrams would look cool.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »
Why is it that American AFVs in particular always have so much baggage strapped to the outside of the vehicle? I know there is no room inside but some storage bins of some sort would seem to go a long way. Seems there would be duffle bags and ruck sacks scattered all over the battle field.

That is a really good question, and one that, even after 20 years in uniform, I don't have an answer for.  On the rare occasions that we rode in the Tuna Boats, we strapped everything except weapons/a-bags to the exterior - it made for a little more space for us inside, but also made for wet/dirty personal gear at the destination.  As my old gunny would say, "Suck it up, buttercup."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2014, 12:03:24 AM »
Any resident (ex-)tankies can confirm or deny this but I believe that, even with external bins/baskets, only so much stuff can be carried in them &, even then, that is usually reserved for essential equipment which needs to be kept protected from the elements. Personal gear, extra supplies (both issued & appropriated) & spare MG/AGL ammunition are carried externally to reduce the fire risk inside the vehicle by limiting the amount of combustible materials.

As to why the Americans tend to go for open baskets rather than enclosed bins; I have no idea, but it may be that US military thinking is that what is stored in the bins/baskets may need to be accessed quickly, possibly in combat, when accessing open topped baskets is easier than opening closed (& possibly latched) bins. Plus; closed-top bins limit the dimensions of what can be put into them, whereas open-topped baskets allow an increased range of dimensions for items to be stored. (PS: Bins with the lids removed/left open don't drain water as well as mesh baskets, so your gear ends up floating if you do that.)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 01:22:39 AM »
I can see where it would have something to do with fire in the vehicle. That would have to be one of the most dangerous situations I can imagine. Also, if materials stored on the outside start to burn it would tend to fall off if just strapped on. IIRC a Stryker was lost because troops stored their gear between the slat armor and the vehicle sides and when the gear caught fire it eventually burned up the whole vehicle.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 10:59:08 AM »
The British in the Western Desert found that the most combustible items inside tanks were personal gear.  That was why they started putting stowage bins on the outside of the turrets.  Problem has been that personal gear and official gear have started to overflow and thats why you now get baskets.  Baskets also have the advantage that if anything explosive (usually small arms liners) are stored in them, then if they explode/cook off, they're automatically vented and the explosion is not contained.

Tanks have always looked like Gypsy caravans, now it's just worse and more noticeable.  If you look at German tanks on the Eastern Front and Allied tanks in Africa or NW Europe, they tend to carry all sorts of stuff on the them because they're advancing and don't really have time to forage.  When tanks are retreating, they're generally falling back on their supply lines and so less stuff is carried on them.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
I once heard a joke that you can tell Soviet tanks from WWII because they have people on the outside, German tanks because they have extra armor bolted on, and American tanks because they've got everything else.

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:58:56 AM by Logan Hartke »

Offline Kerick

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2014, 11:56:31 AM »
Makes as much sense as anything else!
Looking forward to paint pics!

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2014, 11:36:49 PM »

Thats a great touch, I love adding texture I think it really adds to the realism on armor.

Its looking great! Do you know how you are going to paint it scheme wise??
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 08:04:45 PM »
Its looking great! Do you know how you are going to paint it scheme wise??

Not MARPAT.  Right now, I'm leaning to a highly faded/weather beaten olive green, but maybe the old MERDC 4-color as appropriate for pre OIF/OEF equipment?

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 01:26:22 AM »
I love this model. :) :)
What is its current status?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Nice weather and a lot of outdoor projects around LemonJello Industries has delayed much progress, but I did manage to get the base coat on and the tracks and skirts installed.  Here are the photos:

Side:

Front:

Back:

Top:

Comparison to M-60:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2014, 02:32:23 AM »
This looks somewhat akin to the M60-120S offered by GDLS:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2014, 06:41:22 AM »
That is a quite slick and plausible build

Nice job all around

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2014, 08:38:27 AM »
This looks somewhat akin to the M60-120S offered by GDLS

It does ... although I think I prefer the proportions of LemonJello's modernized M-41. Nice build  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Kerick

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »
This is a great project to see come together! Lots of good ideas here for when I build a whiff M-41. Can't wait to see it finished.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »
Wow, M1A1-ing an M41! :icon_surprised:

Certain features of the build suggest that Mr LemonJello may well have been influenced by the M60-120S (curved cut-outs in the rear panels of the side-skirts).

Offline sotoolslinger

• A World Champion Blackbelt in Putty-Foo…the man means business (just look at his photo!)
  • Look at the banner and you will see his work.
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 08:40:18 AM »
Brilliant. Most excellent build.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »
Excellent build! I love the way the no slip is just a subtle hint under the paint. It looks very realistic.

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2014, 11:34:41 PM »
Man, that has turned out really nice! I'm a big fan of the M41 and I've always felt it has so much untapped design potential. Moving the driver's hatch to the center has corrected one the worse design features of this tank.

I've got a few M41-based projects "in the queue" so it's always nice to see how other builders rework theirs'.

Offline philp

• Would gladly pay on Tuesday for a Bender today!
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »
Is looking very good.

I always wanted to do the Brazilian version.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2014, 08:39:11 PM »
Update time! Camo is done, all that's left is weathering. 

I've actually filled the bustle with bags, rations and fuel cans for the well lived in look...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2014, 02:52:52 AM »
Looking good.

Offline Kerick

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2014, 06:24:20 AM »
If you take that to a show it will drive some people nuts!

Always fun to watch! >:D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 08:12:37 AM »

Kerick has it right.
Creative super build :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2014, 10:09:19 AM »

Kerick has it right.
Creative super build :)

Without specific markings I could see hundreds of JMN's & Rivet Counters scouring the interwebnet trying to find which small nation did this to its M41's.

;D

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2014, 11:05:12 AM »
This looks awesome - I can see some Army General complaining that this tank is far too awesome for the USMC...

The 105mm is nice. Where did you get it?

In some ways, the tank looks like a "super deformed" M1.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2014, 09:18:14 PM »
This looks awesome - I can see some Army General complaining that this tank is far too awesome for the USMC...

The 105mm is nice. Where did you get it?

In some ways, the tank looks like a "super deformed" M1.

Thank you all for the compliments, I think it turned out really well. 

Frank3k - the main gun is scratch made from brass tubing and CA glue.  I tried some soldering, but I still haven't gotten the hang of that just yet.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 08:51:56 PM »
Final photos.  Calling this one done:

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 11:38:28 PM »
Looks great! I feel like the turret side needs something, maybe like the black star sometimes found on tanks in the MERDC camo period.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2014, 03:09:28 AM »
Is that ever sweet! With paintwork like that, this baby is bound to turn lots of heads!

Brian da Basher