Author Topic: Queegs Tank Treadz ..... Project '46 stuff  (Read 97715 times)

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
Re: Queegs Tank Treadz .........
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2013, 12:34:04 AM »
 The "Paris-and-points-west' gun, perhaps.

Beautiful build, Queeg.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2013, 05:21:06 AM »
The "Paris-and-points-west' gun, perhaps.
 Beautiful build, Queeg.

Thnx matey, it's certainly made me fight it pretty hard but I'm winning now ......

And I've also wanted to do something '46y with the Karl Morser or Leopold railway guns ...... I've always like the French railway guns of WW1 (one of my dirty secrets).

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »
Did the Germans still use "Panzer Grey" at this time, or maybe they're just using available old stock? ???

Use of Panzer Grey ceased in mid-late 1943 AIUI.  Panzer yellow replaced it until late 1944 when green was introduced as the basic colour that all new and repaired vehicles were issued in.  What colour they were painted in, in the field depended on available colours, available thinners (petrol being the preferred one) and what local conditions required.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2013, 06:55:04 PM »
Did the Germans still use "Panzer Grey" at this time, or maybe they're just using available old stock? ???

Use of Panzer Grey ceased in mid-late 1943 AIUI.  Panzer yellow replaced it until late 1944 when green was introduced as the basic colour that all new and repaired vehicles were issued in.  What colour they were painted in, in the field depended on available colours, available thinners (petrol being the preferred one) and what local conditions required.

A very complicated subject ........ not one to be casually debated on most forums without attracting JMNs and ridicule and vitriol in equal doses  :-X

I've been called out publically twice on forums over my choice of green and brown shades (on real world WWII German vehicles) by people who've never heard of RAL or a Heeresmitteilunge. It's an area that I may have dome a little research on (sadly not primary as I wish I could read German) and a subject I like to take seriously. Having said that it's modelling and even the most extensively scratch built / modified / converted and painted kit is still someones interpretation of  it. Plus I make wargaming kits for people, lots of them and like to have some variations in my builds for sanity's sake.

Hence why I moved to '46 stuff for my own wargaming and personal builds and why I'm hesitant to do historical stuff in scales where rivet counters can operate. Theres always someone who knows your kit has the wrong number of sprocket teeth for the production month your vehicle was produced in .... fun it ain't.

Soooooo German camo colours ......   :icon_ninja:

A Rickshaw mentions the use of Panzer grey was ceased and by late war availability was unlikely, not impossible. Stocks of other greys were certainly circulating within the German system, Fieldgrau for installations, naval and various Luftwaffe greys. Germans were (are?) organised and pedantic. General orders (with regards to manufacturing and paint) were generally followed as quickly as possible and carried out where humanly possible till supplies became impossible. Factories worked on a LIFO system based on the fact that any ordered changes were of war importance and were intergrated as quickly as possible. Having smaller production rates and stocks in general when compared to the allies helped this too. 

A very simplified German AFV paint overview (non desert lol) .... theres a lot of info/debate behind each time period and interpretation of the actual shades that I won't bore anyone with.

1927 - 37   Buntfarbenanstrich (colorful paint pattern) Three colour scheme of earth yellow,  brown, and green. Most commonly called the
                  Reichswehr scheme.

1937 - 40   Two tone scheme of Dunklegrau and Dunkelbraun

1940           Panzer grey overall although pictorial evidence indicates widespread (universal?) practise long before the HM order of July.

1941           White authorised for official winter camouflage overall and disruptive use

1942           Widespread use of Green and Chocolate Brown over Panzer grey. Not an official order but pictorially documented, esp in the East.

1943           February saw Dunkelgelb (Dark Yellow) instituted as overall factory base colour. Later in the year Olivgrun and
                   Dunkelbraun authorised and issued as field applied disruptive colours, recommended at roughly 1/3rd of total vehicle.
                   Nailing the actual shade of Dunkelgelb is like proving Santa exists to a scientist. Variously quoted as sand, greyish mustard, dull grey sand
                   and yellow brown.  Your best bet for a colour is to look up pics of surviving vehicles, esp undersides, guards engine bay overspray.
                   For my two cents a lot of ancillary German heavy and field equipment was dunkelgelb and surviving example show very little variation.
                   I prefer a yellowish mustard with a greenish tint. Fade and vary to taste .......

1944           August Factories ordered to apply the disruptive green and brown colours with contrasting dots - the famous ambush scheme.
                   Note Daimler Benz, MAN / MHN had factory variations. the MAN / MHN being commonly called the disc ambush camouflage pattern.

1944           Order to use thinner paint in all factory applied disruptive schemes. Maybe result of supply issues as there is only factory anecdotal
                   evidence and no official Heeresmitteilungen (HM) or army release order documentation as proof.

1944           October  OKH orders say all vehicles to leave factories in primer base with brush painted hard edged Olivgrun and Dunkelgelb
                   ambush patterns. There is some debate over this Red Oxide shade and reason for the OKH order. No HM documentation survives.

1944           November Olivgrun to be used as overall base colour with hard edged red brown and dark yellow disruptive overpainting.

1945           Return to Dunklegelb as base colour. Many primary sources say that some production was never fully changed away from it, despite
                   official orders.

Interior colours Note Hatches to be painted in exterior base colour.

1939 - 42    Upper interior (above sponson) to be Ivory (Elfenbein). Lower hulls to be Grey/Green.

1943            From late 1943 Grey/Green replaced by redoxide primer. No HM survives but all surviving examples have this feature.

1944            Mid 44, All interiors to be bare Red Oxide primer.  This order was rescinded at the end of the year (probably due to crew complaints)
                    so variations would exist.  Some late afvs could be have an all primer interior (stugs in particular seem to have this) while some
                    would have the primer/ivory combination.

Hope this is of interest to some and as theres no JMNs here I'd be interested in any comments ........

Brent
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 07:10:35 PM by Queeg »

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
I used to work with real armoured vehicles and now I work with real warships and one thing I can assure you is the rivet counters are usually wrong because every single vehicle and ship is different and their physical configuration changes through out their lives and paint schemes are worse again.  Basically there are so many variables that unless you are building the model with the subject sitting right in front of you it is going to be different.  Chuck a war and the systematic destruction of industrial capability into the mix and you can honestly assume anyone who says they know something for fact is lying.

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »
Which is why when I was wargaming, my Panzers were basically either grey (early war), yellow (mid-war/late-war) or green (late war) base coats to which various colours were added to provide variations.  Anybody questioned them, I merely said, "Yeah, well that vehicle crew used what colours were available!"  White was applied occasionally in various shades for winter.   Most of the time, dust and mud obscure the colours anyway.  I've seen Australian vehicles in the 1970-80s which were officially Olive Green but so covered in mud and dust that they looked quite red.   In wartime, unless you're out of the line little time is wasted cleaning vehicles.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »
Todays progress .....

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
Looking awesome! 8)

The finish is coming together brilliantly, now! :D

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
Nice... very nice indeed.  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2013, 02:38:41 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2013, 12:09:23 PM »
Just finished the wargaming Bradley. Not a great model but she's scrubbed up pretty well considering.
I'll sort the rest of the pics out after dinner and make a decent post.

cheers
Brent

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
Re: Queegs Tank Treadz ......... updated Airfix Jackal
« Reply #111 on: December 16, 2013, 05:28:39 PM »
Bult one of the Airfix 1/48th Jackals this afternoon. Took ust under 4 hrs, no major dramas, quite an enjoyable build.
Got a few more to make tomorrow now I've got it sussed ......

btw this is a genuine kit, the wheel assemblies had almost twice the parts count as the entire Bradley.

Brent

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:13:38 PM by Queeg »

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #112 on: December 16, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #113 on: December 16, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »
Funny you should mention Jackals.

You Aussies have all the cool toys .........

I didn't even know you had them. Are they on trial or in service?
What other neat stuff do you have, I'm way behind on current Aussie equipment.

We keep our crappy Lavs in a climate controlled warehouse in Wellington to try and stop the components rusting any more than they already have.

Offline Rickshaw

« Reply #114 on: December 16, 2013, 08:26:24 PM »
Funny you should mention Jackals.

You Aussies have all the cool toys .........

I didn't even know you had them. Are they on trial or in service?

Service in small numbers with the SASR (IIRC it's about a dozen).  I see them occasionally on the roads about town here.

What other neat stuff do you have, I'm way behind on current Aussie equipment.

This stuff, mainly - http://www.army.gov.au/Our-work/Equipment-and-clothing/Vehicles

We keep our crappy Lavs in a climate controlled warehouse in Wellington to try and stop the components rusting any more than they already have.

Oh...

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #115 on: December 16, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »
That 1/48th kit looks awesome! 8)

Now all Airfix need to do is bring them out in 1/35th & I'd buy a couple! ;)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #116 on: December 16, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
Great work as always!

This pic makes me want to buy one... or 6
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2013, 12:34:09 AM »
Thnx for the comments troops .......... nice link to Aussie equipment too. I see the Trumpeter ASLAV is in my local LHS .........

Still waiting for my fine drills to finish the E-75 so continued with the moderns, here's an update on the Jackal.

Yesterday I fought the epic battle of Airfix vrs Queeg and fitted the Airfix crew figs.
Not an easy task, full story on my blog ......

Brent

Does he fit, does he fit, does he fit .... er ... no.

My fight back

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:37:51 AM by Queeg »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2013, 02:34:55 AM »
Hmmmm…looking at that makes me wonder:  how would one go as the basis for a new Moon/Mars vehicle?   Hmmm... ::)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline MaxHeadroom

• The man has built a jet Stuka, need we say more?
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2013, 05:11:36 AM »
Reminds me at the rover in "Star Trek 'Nemesis'", when Capt. Picard, Lt. Worf and Data are racing through a desert on an unknown planet to find later the parts of "B-4".

Max

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »
A little progress on the crew.

My first go at painting Desert DPM, I think it's fairly close after some testing and shall forge ahead at half thrusters .....

Brent

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:59 AM »
Gurgle !!! That is terrific.. for 1/48 figgies.. given the pix you would have picked for 1/35 minimum.

Seen the Jackal kit.. but not constructed.. so good to see it.
Buddy of mine here is on the Aussie Jackal project and has just completed the Accurate Armour 1/35 kit to a very nice standard with Australian fitout.
Saw one recently in the UK whilst I was driving around after Telford, two miserable looking guys in a Jackal on the road in the rain.
The not so neat part of an open top vehicle in a non-conducive climate.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
Fast fwd to today ...

Snatch and Coyote assembled and all vehicles primed and basecoated.

Brent

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2013, 11:00:33 PM »
Nice! I may have to get a Jackal now. Does anyone make aftermarket wheels for it yet?

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2013, 11:35:42 PM »
I'd pick up a Coyote and Jackal in 1/35 - would make for a nice modern "re-imagining" of the LRDG.

Yours look sharp, looking forward to seeing more as you progress.