Author Topic: Queegs Tank Treadz ..... Project '46 stuff  (Read 97195 times)

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
Queegs Tank Treadz ..... Project '46 stuff
« on: October 29, 2013, 08:35:39 AM »
Thought it might be a good idea to combine all my afv (ground really as I'll probably add some car and scifi tank stuff too) related ideas and projects in one place. The plan is to have my wips and progress stuff here and when completed do a separate post with the "money" shots.

Not all posts will be whiff stuff (so close your eyes if stock plastic hurts them lol)) but there will be a healthly leaning towards my Project 46' ideas ......  :icon_ninja:

Brent

Some needless pics of past projects to get things rolling .........

« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:46:43 PM by Queeg »

Offline tanktastic43

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Queegs Tank Treadz .........
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »
A very nice collection.

Keep the pics coming.

tt43.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
Awesome

How good are those Hummel conversions O0

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »
More "needless pics" please  :-* :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »
More "needless pics" please  :-* :-*

Ahhh I think you'd be bored if I posted too many pics of my finished projects .... I've cranked out quite a few since I started taking commissions.  :-X

And heres the current state of my wip projects (just my own - not commision wrk). Still got just scifi and aircraft to round up and photograph. Speaking of aircraft - funnily enough as of yet I haven't ever built up a whiff aircraft model. Got heaps of ideas of course but never ever got around to cutting plastic. Two I'd like to do sometime include a navalised version of the DO335 and a Griffon engined Mosquito.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:36:17 AM »
Wow, you have been busy!  :o

Great work, I can't wait to see more - especially your whiff stuff.  :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:12:57 AM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 02:53:21 AM »
A very nice collection.

Keep the pics coming.

tt43.

Wot my learned colleague said...
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 03:02:01 AM »
Fantastic paint work!

Are these for gaming? is that why there are multiples?

I can't tell the scale, the work is so good.

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:44:27 AM »
Fantastic paint work!
Are these for gaming? is that why there are multiples?
I can't tell the scale, the work is so good.

Thanks Ginge, yeah they're all wargaming vehicles. When I started building as a kid I started on 1/35th then moved the 1/72nd and gaming. I hadn't built a 1/35th model for about 30yrs until I tackled the Hummel SPV recently. Most of my commission work is for 20mm or 28mm wargaming so its mostly 1/72nd with a some 1/56th and 1/48th thrown in. 

I started doing my own whiff Project 46' stuff so that I could get a break from all the WW2 commission stuff I do. To get any enthusism for my own modelling after painting for others all day I found I had to be working on something that wasn't the same and that others couldn't go out and just buy. And it frees up the mind. You don't have to be so precise and colour match or pour over references to make sure the exhaust cover is correct for that version etc etc lest someone on a forum pulls you up over it, doesn't look good if you're a commission modeller defending your work all day lol

Brent

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 04:33:32 AM »
Thought I'd post up the older project being the new 1/35th Hummel conversion so you guys can see my scattered approach to whiffing  ;D

I started with whipping up some profiles. Kinda started as an excersise in faffing about with photopaint but then I though  it was actually buildable.
Since getting this far I've got some ideas for others I'd like to add to the weapons carrier system;

A MGS (mobile gun system) with either and L/71 88mm or Pak44 128mm and using an autloader.
An AVRE with hiab stlye crane and dozer blade.
A logistics carrier although I'm thinking this might be a better use (in my 46' timeline) to use up the old PzIII/Stug chassis, being plentiful and as mobile as the PzIV chassis.
A C3 battlefield rader vehicle, Something with a primitive looking large bedstead "Freya" type array rather than a Wurzberg type dish. Although having said that the trailer version of the Wurzburg the FuMG62 would fit on the back really well.
A Medevac version using the extended 350/10 superstructure. Although again maybe the PzIII running gear would be a more logical choice.

ps pls bear with me, the profile image is too long to display properly on the page here so I'm modding it and will update later ........
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:52:52 AM by Queeg »

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
SdKfz 350/1 1/72nd
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 05:00:57 AM »
So once I had a profile I was happy with I just cut up some plastic. The profile is as close as I come to a plan lol 

Kitbashing and trial fitting gave me some parts so it looked professional as my scratch skills aren't up to fabricating much. I was lucky, as with some modding the top hull from an M113 fitted perfectly, and it also donated the rear ramp and interior. Add some "german" bits, an unused fan heater from a DMl Jadgpanther kit and a cupola from a broken Esci Panther to make it believeable and you almost don't notice where the other bits came from.

Parts used include;
Dragon 1/72nd Hummel (late)
Italeri 1/72nd M113 ACAV for the roof, rear door and interior.
Hasegawa 1/72nd SdKfz 234/1 for the 20mm made into the RWS 

As you can see it is all pretty simple really ........
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:18:40 AM by Queeg »

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
SdKfz 350/3 FSV
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 05:08:00 AM »
The AA version was almost easier. I just added extended side plates to a resin kit body. I don't have many progress pics unfortunately.

Parts used include;
Planet Models 1/72nd Nashorn although the cheaper Dragon or Revell kit would work equally well as a base, I was just using up an old kit.
CMK 1/72nd Kugelblitz conversion set

Here are the starting parts and below that are the two vehicles primed.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 05:13:59 AM by Queeg »

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
SdKfz 350/1
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 05:29:17 AM »
Slap on some paint and it's ready for the gaming table. I chose to add aircraft style defense bands to the AA/FSV to give it some colour and used German a/c aircraft crosses and numbers and modern Bunderwhehr markings to give them both a little separation from the WW2 period. As an aside I got mine from a Revel Leopard1, does anyone know where I can source anymore 1/72nd modern afv amrkings apart from robbing donor kits? I neeeeeeeeed some more  :D

Brent

About 2/3rds finshed ......

With markings and final touches ......

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 05:55:49 AM »
That's a real masterpiece, Queeg! I don't think I've ever seen more convincing winter camo on an AFV!

Most excellent!

Brian da Basher

Offline tanktastic43

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 06:07:23 AM »
I'm really enjoying your work!

Keep 'em coming!

tt43.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 06:07:49 AM »
Whiff away Brent.. those are terrific.

The Hummel as a base vehicle works well.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 06:14:40 AM »
Great figures too!!

Thanks for sharing some of your methods and logic as well. I have been tempted on many occasions to just cut all my 1/35 German WWII armor off its sprues into a giant box and just building what "fit", havn't worked up the guts yet though.
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 06:26:52 AM »
I was thinking...... what do you think of a version with imported AMX-13 turret in case of this scenario?

Granted, you've already had a 88mm/128mm MGS......
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 07:22:09 AM »
I was thinking...... what do you think of a version with imported AMX-13 turret in case of this scenario?

Granted, you've already had a 88mm/128mm MGS......

I did originally look at some sort of AMX hybrid for my Hetzer/RSO (38)d chassis of light afvs. Overall I'm decided to keep to a "national" look and style though so nothing jars the eye. Fortunately there are plenty of options to build French 46' whiffs so something with an AMX turret is sure to fit.

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 07:58:33 AM »
VERY nice collection sir!!!

Question, what is the Cromwell(?) at the end of the line with the US star on the side of the turret and twin gun barrels???!!!  Please explain  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 08:20:37 AM »
Hey Cliffy,

It's a Centaur AA MkII. It's a liberty engined Cromwell with 2x 20mm Polsten cannons. They used the US Liberty engine for early Cromwell production until the Rolls Royce Meteor engine became available in sufficient qty, then they renamed the Liberty's "Centaurs".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:31:50 AM by Queeg »

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 09:27:48 AM »
Very very impressive !
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
Oh cool!!  I'll have to look into the Centaurs now.  Never knew they existed  8)
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 10:02:00 AM »
Oh cool!!  I'll have to look into the Centaurs now.  Never knew they existed  8)
Italeri produced a kit with that turret but I don't recall if it was a mounted on the Comet hull
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Italeri produced a kit with that turret but I don't recall if it was a mounted on the Comet hull

Yeah just to add to the fun the Italeri kit is a Crusader MkIII AA. There are quite a few AA versions mounted on the Crusader hull, the most common being the Mk1 with a 40mm Bofors (fitted with an autoloader too!) and the MkIII which had twin 20mm Oerlikons and a Browning mg in a turret like the Centaur version. The MkII Crusader "Skyraker" is probably the most photographed AA tank from the D-Day invasion ......  Tamiya do one in 1/48.

Couple of bonus piccies .......

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 10:55:30 AM by Queeg »