Author Topic: No back story for this one  (Read 819 times)

Offline The Rat

• 70 years old, doesn't feel a day over 90.
  • Maybe I should take up the bagpipes.
No back story for this one
« on: October 09, 2023, 12:06:15 PM »
Because I won't try to outdo Leslie Charteris!  ;D  Simon Templar now has something a little more upscale than a Volvo 1800 ES.

The Matchbox DH-125, and I would not recommend it. Molded in white, black, and red, and covering up the red is not easy. It's made even more difficult by virtue of the red plastic seeming more like vinyl than polystyrene, but I may be wrong. I also question the shape around the flight deck; all the ones I've seen 'in the flesh' have a distinct bubble that is missing in this one. Maybe a later variant did away with it? The landing gear got broken off in storage while waiting for me to buckle down and finish it, which explains the support under the fuselage - the nose gear broke off after the first 2 photos, and the model now sits upside down on the shelf. I'll probably snap it off again and attach it with a blob of putty. Home-made decals again, good enough for my purposes.
"Man, if you gotta ask, you ain't never gonna know!" - Louis Armstrong, when asked "What is jazz?"

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: No back story for this one
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 05:05:46 PM »
 :smiley:

Luckily it's not something that floats my boat, so I'll have no problem following your recommendation! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 03:40:16 AM »
Nice work! Love 'The Saint' decals  :smiley:

.. I also question the shape around the flight deck; all the ones I've seen 'in the flesh' have a distinct bubble that is missing in this one. Maybe a later variant did away with it? ...

Exactly right. The Matchbox kit is an HS.125-600 series aircraft - the first of the type to have the extended forward fuselage with the raised cockpit roof eliminated. On the earlier models, that raised section was there as an aerodynamic method of reducing rear cabin noise. I guess, with the longer fuselage, Hawker Siddeley decided that they didn't need that 'bubble' anymore.
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 09:04:53 AM »
Always liked the HS-125,  nice simple understated whiff that looks good.

Nice one  :smiley: :smiley:

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 02:18:15 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline sharkman

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 02:19:52 AM »
Looks great!