Author Topic: Recent Builds  (Read 11032 times)

Offline ScranJ51

• Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!
Recent Builds
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:30:15 AM »
A couple more finished:

WILLIAMS FW14
The Williams FW14 was a Formula One car designed by Adrian Newey, used by the Williams team during the 1991 and 1992 Formula One seasons.  The car was born out of necessity, as the 1989 and 1990 seasons had proven competitive for Williams, but they had underachieved in their own and Renault's eyes. Newey started work on the new car soon after joining the team from March in mid-1990. He had designed a series of aerodynamically efficient and very effective cars for March on a limited budget, so with Williams's greater resources and money he was able to fully develop his ideas. The design showed enough promise to tempt Nigel Mansell to shelve his plans to retire from the sport and re-join Williams from Ferrari.

Powered by a 3.5 litre V10 Renault engine, the car was the most technically sophisticated on the grid. By 1992 the FW14B featured semi-automatic transmission, active suspension, traction control and for a brief period anti-lock brakes. Add to that the superb aerodynamics by Newey that was far ahead of the McLaren MP4/7A, Ferrari F92A or Lotus 107, and it made for a potent mix, although at the beginning the unbelievers said the car was too technical for its own good. The FW14B was so successful that its successor (the FW15), which was already available mid-season in 1992, was never used.

The FW14 made its debut at the 1991 United States Grand Prix. The car was clearly the most technically advanced on the grid, but teething troubles during the season stymied the team's early progress. Nigel Mansell and Riccardo Patrese recorded 7 victories between them, but the Drivers' Championship was wrapped up by Ayrton Senna in the McLaren, who had better reliability.

Williams had the faster car throughout the balance of the season and it provided a run of good form in the mid-season for both Mansell and Patrese. Mansell however had several retirements due to the then new-for-Williams semi-automatic transmission, with most of these retirements occurring while in a position to win races. Patrese was impressive on several occasions, and retired while leading twice. McLaren's superior reliability told in the Constructors' Championship as well, as they narrowly took the title from Williams.

fw14-01 by David Freeman, on Flickr

fw14-02 by David Freeman, on Flickr

fw14-03 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Notice the front wing has yet to be attached - alignment issues  :o   :icon_sueno: 

You may contrast this with the recent McLaren MP4-4.  On the McLaren, all the orange (colour) is decals.  Here the car has been hand-painted (all three colours - blue, yellow and white) over blue moldings - then some decals added.

The next car (which will finish this week) is also hand-painted.
Fast Jet, Fast Prop, Fast Racing Cars - thats me!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: Recent Builds
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 04:57:23 PM »
You have some enviable talent with those colorful racing schemes!

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:05:24 PM »
The other - Tyrrell 021

TYRRELL 021
The Tyrrell 021 was a Formula One racing car designed by Mike Coughlan for Tyrrell Racing and raced during the 1993 season. The car was powered by a Yamaha V10 engine and was driven by Ukyo Katayama and Andrea de Cesaris. The car was unsuccessful with no points scored during the season. The 021 was replaced by the Harvey Postlethwaite designed 022 for the 1994 season.

Tyrrell-21-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Tyrrell-21-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Tyrrell-21-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 04:36:17 PM »
Another finished - this is a second hand kit that had been started - a few bits missing/damaged.

Got it together ok - but not my best effort.

Box says a Honda F1 - it is essentially the Williams Honda of 1985

Honda-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Honda-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Honda-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

:smiley:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 02:32:55 AM »
I always enjoy your colorful racers, Scran!

You've got some enviable talent for those exacting schemes!

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 09:57:43 AM »
Another finished - a Spyker MF1 in a promotional livery for Dremel

Spyker01 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Spyker02 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Spyker03 by David Freeman, on Flickr

SPYKER MF1
Midland F1 Racing (also known as MF1 Racing) was a Formula One constructor and racing team. It competed in the 2006 Formula One season with drivers Christijan Albers and Tiago Monteiro. The team was created by the renaming of Jordan Grand Prix after its purchase by Canadian businessman, and owner of the Midland Group, Alex Shnaider. The team was registered as the first Russian Formula One team, reflecting Shnaider's roots, although it continued to be based in the United Kingdom, at Jordan's Silverstone factory. Towards the end of the 2006 season, the team was sold to Spyker Cars N.V.; the team raced in its last three Grands Prix under the official name "Spyker MF1 Racing". In 2007, the team competed as Spyker F1, and in 2008 was sold to Indian businessman Vijay Mallya and was renamed Force India F1.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:31:30 PM by ScranJ51 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 10:04:54 AM »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 06:07:29 AM »
I really like this one. It has the added bonus of if they needed to save weight they could just dremel out some holes.

I'll get me coat.

Great model!

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 05:04:56 PM »
Some fun - all 1/32nd

McLaren M6B, Porsche Carrera 6, Ferrari P330, Chapparal 2E, Chapparall 2F, Lotus 33

32-01 by David Freeman, on Flickr

32-02 by David Freeman, on Flickr

32-03 by David Freeman, on Flickr

32-04 by David Freeman, on Flickr

32-05 by David Freeman, on Flickr

32-06 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Will eventually go back to the Lotus and scratchbuild some rear suspension  :o

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 01:03:27 AM »
Well if anyone can scratch-build rear suspensions, you seem to be the man for the job!

These are all little gems. I like the brightness and simplified schemes on the top ones. I think the last one is my favorite. I always seem to appreciate older models of cars. At least I end up driving so many (currently up to 1995)...

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »
Another finished:

LOLA T90-50
After their limited success in the 1960s with Formula One, Lola turned its attentions primarily to sports cars but also to Formula Two, where Lola became the works team for BMW. As the years went on, Lola had somewhat more success in Formula Two than it ever had in Formula One, although as March and later Ralt established themselves, Lola's involvement in the category became intermittent and less successful. The final Lola F2 was in fact derived from a Ralt design – the Ralt RT2 became the Toleman TG280, which Toleman licensed to Lola who productionised it as the T850. When Formula Two became Formula 3000 in 1986, Lola made a "false start" with a car based on their significantly larger Indycar chassis; from 1986 they returned with a bespoke F3000 design and the cars enjoyed significant success for the next few years, competing with Ralt and Reynard, although Reynard effectively wiped the others out of the market.

This Lola T90-50 raced in the All Japan F3000 Championship.

LolaT90-50-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

LolaT90-50-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

LolaT90-50-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

LolaT90-50-4 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 07:22:22 AM »
I really like this racing scheme and it's gotta take a heap of talent & skill and then some to pull it off!

Most excellent!

Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »
NISSAN R390 GT1
In 1997 the Nissan Motor Co Ltd entered their latest Nissan R390 GT1 in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.  This R390 GT1 took its name from a car, R380, that excited Japanese motor sports enthusiast over thirty years ago.  Three R390 GT1’s were entered to the 1997 Le Man’s event and, among them, car 21 achieved a pole position in the pre-qualifying race.  Although the overall result was rather discouraging, the R390’s outstanding performance, displayed during the early stage of the race, was something to behold and promising for the years to come.

Nissan R390GT1-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Nissan R390GT1-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Nissan R390GT1-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 05:23:28 AM »
Yet another beauty!

Your work on the decals is stunning. I imagine it takes a very steady hand to get them placed so well.

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2018, 03:14:28 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 07:04:02 AM »
RENAULT R5 Turbo

The R5 turbo was conceived with dual intent, promoting the sales of the common R5 and being homologated in the FIA group 3 and 4 categories of the rally championship (today WRC). All the motorsport derivatives were based on the Turbo 1. At first the competition cars existed in 3 versions: the version “usine” (French for “factory”) officially run by the Renault Sport division, the lesser spec “competition client” that were sold to private teams (20 built each year), and as a kit, that could be used to gradually convert a street legal version towards the competition client version. Over the years, the performances and cost increased, and lesser cars were run. The kit was dropped, the client version caught up with the factory specs, and finally the 20 client couldn’t be sold anymore. They were built for homologation as group B, and immediately scavenged for spare parts.

The factory pushed the engine output up to 180 PS (132 kW; 178 hp) for the Critérium des Cévennes, 210 PS (154 kW; 207 hp) for the Tour de Corse, and by 1984 as much as 350 PS (257 kW; 345 hp) in the R5 Maxi Turbo.  Driven by Jean Ragnotti in 1981, the 5 Turbo won the Monte Carlo Rally on its first outing in the World Rally Championship. The 2WD R5 turbo soon faced the competition of new Group B four-wheel drive cars that proved faster on dirt.

Renault R5-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Renault R5-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Renault R5-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Shown here in Tour de Corse configuration
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:08:26 AM by ScranJ51 »

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 09:26:00 AM »
Ford Capri - 1/25th scale

Capri-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Capri-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Capri-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 03:57:01 AM »
Beautiful!!  Brings to mind the 1st generation Capri 1600 I used to drive.  A beautiful car and a pleasure to drive, but, dear ghod, some aspects drove me closer to insanity (the electrical switches were none too sturdy, went through several of the more used ones).  There's a few stories I could tell.

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 12:59:03 PM »
Some more work done:

Lotus 97T (1/20th)

97t-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

97t-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

97t-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

LOTUS 97T
The Lotus 97T was a Formula One racing car designed by Gérard Ducarouge and built by Team Lotus. A development of the Lotus 95T of 1984, it was designed for the 1985 Formula One season by French engineer Gérard Ducarouge. The 97T was powered by the turbocharged 1.5L Renault engine which produced up to approximately 800 bhp. The 97T was of a generally simple design, it used elements from the defunct Lotus 96T Indycar project in the aerodynamics with another piece of Lotus design: an early form of bargeboards. These were placed between the front wheels and the side pods improving airflow around the side of the car. Ducarouge also got around the ban on the 'winglets' seen on the rear wings of the 1984 cars by placing them instead on the rear edges of the side pods.

Lotus' major coup for 1985 was signing rising star Ayrton Senna from the Toleman team to replace long time team driver Nigel Mansell who had signed with Williams. Senna, the first driver signed to the team since the death of Colin Chapman, partnered Italian Elio De Angelis who had finished third in the previous season's drivers' championship and had had many promising results with the 95T.

The 97T proved competitive during the season, taking 8 poles, 7 with Senna and 1 with De Angelis, and 3 wins. Senna's first was a brilliant performance in the Portuguese Grand Prix where he won by over a minute in monsoon conditions. His second came in the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa, held in wet/dry conditions. De Angelis added a third win (his 2nd and last win in F1, both for Lotus) at the San Marino Grand Prix after original winner Alain Prost (McLaren) was disqualified an hour after the race finished due to his out of fuel McLaren-TAG being 2 kg underweight.

The 97T while fast, was mechanically unreliable. The car had the best chassis of any car that competed during that season; it had the best braking and turning capabilities and it also had the best designed suspension of that year; although its aerodynamics were inferior to that of McLaren's car that year. As a result of having the best chassis, it performed best on slow and tight circuits like Monaco, Montreal, Detroit and Adelaide, although the Renault engine had reliability issues and was down on power compared to the competitors of BMW and Honda engines, but about on par with the Ferrari and Porsche units. Senna in particular had a run of bad luck mid-season, including a huge crash in the French Grand Prix at Paul Ricard, where he went off at almost 200 mph (322 km/h) going into the Courbe de Signes at the end of the 1.8 km long Mistral Straight; and he retired many times while leading which cost him a possible chance at the world championship. Eventually, Lotus finished fourth in the Constructors' Championship, albeit tied on points with Williams who finished in third place owing to their greater number of race victories.

In total the Lotus 97T scored three victories, two second places and four third places. The car also achieved eight pole positions and three fastest laps.

Toyota Celica Rally Car (1/24th)

celica-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

celica-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

celica-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

CASTROL CELICA GT-FOUR
The Toyota Celica GT-Four is a high performance model of the Celica Liftback, with a turbocharged 3S-GTE engine, and full-time AWD. It was created to compete in the World Rally Championship, whose regulations dictate that a manufacturer must build road-going versions of the vehicle in sufficient numbers. These vehicles are referred to as "homologation special vehicles".

In 1993 Auriol switched from Lancia to Toyota, and won his first event for the team, the Monte Carlo Rally and finished 3rd in the Driver’s Championship in the car shown here. Juha Kankkunen, also in a Toyota, won the Driver’s Championship with Toyota claiming the Manufacturer’s title.

Corolla Rally Car (1/24th)

corolla-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

corolla-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

corolla-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

TOYOTA COROLLA WRC 1999
The Corolla E110 was the eighth generation of cars sold by Toyota under the Corolla nameplate.
Introduced in May 1995, the eighth generation shared its platform (and doors, on some models) with its predecessor. Due to a recession, Toyota ordered Corolla development chief Takayasu Honda to cut costs, hence the carry-over engineering.  For the general market, the Corolla was offered in Base, XLi, GLi, and SE-G trim levels.

The Toyota Corolla WRC (World Rally Car) is special purpose rally car based on the European Corolla 3 door Hatchback, and powered by a modified 3S-GTE engine and 4WD system from the Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205.

It was launched in July 1997, and made its debut in the 1997 Rally of Finland with 1994 World Rally Champion, Didier Auriol, and Marcus Grönholm behind the wheel.  For 1998 WRC season, double World Rally Champions Carlos Sainz joined the Toyota Team Europe, and won the 1998 Monte Carlo Rally. It was the first victory for the Corolla WRC. Didier Auriol won the 1999 China Rally, and Toyota won the 1999 manufacturer's title while the company stopped participating in rallying, in order to prepare for a switch to Formula One in 2002.

Lancer Rally Car (1/24th)

lancer-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

lancer-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

lancer-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION V WRC
The name “Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution” made its first appearance at the 1973 World Rally Championships.  After that, the Lancer participated on and off in rally activity until its return to the WRC in 1993.  The reborn Lancer Evolution adopted a 4WD system, and was equipped with a 2L DOHC turbo engine, called the 4G63.  Achieving a 2nd place finish in both the Indonesia Rally and the RAC Rally, the Lancer showed the world a glimpse of its speed.  From Evolution II in 1994, to the Evolution III in 1995, the Lancer was under continual development. In 1996, The Evolution III, driven by Tommi Makinen, won 5 races earning him the Driver’s Title. Driving Evolution IV in the following year, Tommi Makinen became a repeat champion.  In 1998, the Evolution V made its debut.

Porsche Carrera Turbo - Grace Bros Racing Team - early 1970's

Turbo-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

turbo-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

turbo-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »
The last of the Rally Cars:

Ford Focus RS WRC02

The Ford Focus RS WRC is a car built for the Ford World Rally Team by Ford Europe and M-Sport and based on the Ford Focus Climate 2-litre production hatchback, developed to compete in the World Rally Championship. The RS stands for Rallye Sport and the WRC for World Rally Car, the car's FIA specification. The Focus RS WRC was in competition from 1999 to 2010, winning 44 world rallies and two manufacturers' world titles (2006 and 2007). It was replaced by the Ford Fiesta RS WRC.

Like all contemporary World Rally Cars, the car is heavily modified from the production version, with which it shares only the basic shape and some parts of the bodyshell. The car features four-wheel drive, rather than the front-wheel drive of the road car. The engine used in the 2007 Focus WRC is based on Ford's 2.0 Litre Duratec from other models in the Focus range as rallying rules do not permit the standard 2.5-litre engine of the Focus ST or road going RS. As with most rally cars, the 2.0-litre engine is heavily modified and performance was increased using a turbocharger. The 2009 Ford Focus RS WRC uses a Ford 1998cc Pipo built l4 Duratec WRC engine (four cylinders, 16 valves, bore 85 mm and stroke 88 mm), Pi electronic engine management system, Garrett turbocharger (with required 34 mm inlet restrictor), air intercooler, and a catalytic converter.

The car's transmission is a permanent four-wheel drive with M-Sport designed active centre differential, Pi electronic differential control units, M-Sport/Ricardo five-speed sequential gearbox with electro-hydraulically controlled shift and an M-Sport/Sachs multi-disc carbon clutch.

Focus 01 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Focus 02 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Focus 03 by David Freeman, on Flickr

On the bench - another Aussie Sports Sedan and a Torana from Bathurst

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2019, 05:04:24 AM »
Thatz nice.
 8)
Brian da Basher

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2019, 04:46:48 PM »
Another Racing Sedan - Nissan NSX 2005

HONDA NSX
In 1984, Honda commissioned the Italian car designer Pininfarina to design the HP-X (Honda Pininfarina eXperimental), which had a mid-mounted C20A 2.0 L V6 configuration. After Honda committed to the project, management informed the engineers that the new car would have to be as fast as anything coming from Italy and Germany . The HP-X concept car evolved into a prototype known as NS-X, which stood for "New", "Sportscar" "eXperimental". The prototype and eventual production model—which was marketed as the NSX— were designed by a team led by Chief Designer, Masahito Nakano, and Executive Chief Engineer, Shigeru Uehara (who subsequently were placed in charge of the S2000 project).

2005 VERSION - EPSON
In 2005, the NSX featured widened fenders and increased front/rear overhang to improve downforce.  Starting with a twin turbo engine, disappointing performance lead all NSX teams to revert to naturally aspirated engines from round 4 of the championship.  The Epson sponsored car shown here finished 9th  in the championship, which was won by a Toyota Supra.

epson NSX1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Epson NSX2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Epson NSX3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 01:41:06 PM »
Long Weekend here so a couple more finished.

LOTUS 88B
The Lotus 88 was an innovative ground effect Formula One car designed by Colin Chapman, Peter Wright, Tony Rudd and Martin Ogilvie of Lotus in an effort to maximise the downforce produced by ground effects cars. By 1981 the ground effects cars were so efficient and so fast that the drivers were suffering from the tremendous g-forces involved in cornering and braking. The FIA banned the moveable skirts fitted to the bottom of the cars' sidepods that were vital for achieving consistent ground effect and regulated a mandatory ground clearance of 6 cm, in the interests of driver safety, and also in some people's view to aid the big manufacturers Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and particularly Renault. The Brabham team were the first to circumvent the rules using hydropneumatic suspension systems which compressed under aerodynamic loading and lowered the Brabham BT49onto the track. This had the side effect of rendering the car without any sort of suspension, causing the driver to be buffeted even more than before. However, the performance gains were such that other teams were soon following suit - although most had difficulty in replicating the Brabham system and used a simple switch to lower the car. Chapman had other ideas.

The earlier Lotus 86 had been designed at the time when skirts were still legal, in the same layout as the 88 but only one prototype had been built. The performance gains were relatively small but significant over conventional ground effects cars. When the skirts were banned, Wright studied the car and its performance without skirts. The loss in performance was largely negligible, so the 88 was quickly designed as a re-engineered 86. The 88 used an ingenious system of having a twin chassis, one inside the other. The inner chassis would hold the cockpit and would be independently sprung from the outer one, which was designed to take the pressures of the ground effects. The outer chassis did not have discernible wings, and was in effect one huge ground effect system, beginning just behind the nose of the car and extending all the way inside the rear wheels, thereby producing massive amounts of downforce. The car was powered by the Ford Cosworth DFV engine. Lotus drivers Nigel Mansell and Elio de Angelis reported the car was pleasing to drive and responsive. To make the aerodynamic loads as manageable as possible, the car was constructed extensively in carbon fibre, making it along with the McLaren MP4/1 the first car to use the material in large quantity.

Other teams were outraged at this exploitation of the regulations and protests were lodged with the FIA, on the grounds that the twin chassis tub breached the rules in terms of moveable aerodynamic devices. The FIA upheld the protests and consequently banned the car from competing. Chapman was adamant the car was legal and challenged the other teams and the FIA at every turn, but the decision stood. It got to the point where if the Lotus 88 was entered in the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the team would lose its championship points and the race itself would lose its place as a championship round of the season. Chapman was forced to update two of his Lotus 87 chassis as replacements for his thwarted brainchild. The Lotus 88 therefore remains a curiosity from a bygone age of F1. Some of the 88's aerodynamics and layout were worked into the successful Lotus 91 which followed in 1982.

Lotus 88B-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Lotus 88B-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Lotus 88B-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

This car completes the Lotus Gallery at the Humble Motor Museum (see other thread).

HONDA NSX
In 1984, Honda commissioned the Italian car designer Pininfarina to design the HP-X (Honda Pininfarina eXperimental), which had a mid-mounted C20A 2.0 L V6 configuration. After Honda committed to the project, management informed the engineers that the new car would have to be as fast as anything coming from Italy and Germany . The HP-X concept car evolved into a prototype known as NS-X, which stood for "New", "Sportscar" "eXperimental". The prototype and eventual production model—which was marketed as the NSX— were designed by a team led by Chief Designer, Masahito Nakano, and Executive Chief Engineer, Shigeru Uehara (who subsequently were placed in charge of the S2000 project).

1998 VERSION - RAYBRIG
At the 1998 All Japan Grand Touring Car Championships, the Honda NSX cars displayed overwhelming speed over their rivals.  Although the Championship mainly featured cars advantaged by powerful turbo engines, the NSX, as the flagship of Honda, used a naturally aspirated engine mounted on the widely marketed NSX base chassis. The NSX, with high traction at the midship as well as a centrally located fuel tank guaranteed continuous, stable control despite changing fuel levels.  The Raybrig sponsored car shown here won round 6 of the Championship at the Mine circuit.

Raybrig NSX 1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Raybrig NSX 2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Raybrig NSX 3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
Another for the Humble Motor Museum Gallery 5 - Tyrrell 020

Over the years, the Tyrell Racing Team of England has become famous for incorporating innovative ideas in their Formula One racing machines. During the 1990 Grand Prix season, they introduced a very distinctive anhedral shaped front wing, which immediately became popular with other Formula One car builders. For the 1991 season the Tyrell Team improved and continued to use this highly effective design on their type 020 racer. This wing, when combined with the raised front nose cone, allows more air to flow under the chassis, producing a stronger downforce. The sleek and low body shell was aerodynamically sculptured to provide more performance at the track. This excellent chassis is magnificently mated to Honda's potent, normally aspirated, 3498cc, V-10 cylinder, type RA101E powerplant, and the transmission gear casing is transversely mounted in front of the rear axle. The front suspension system uses a double wishbone push-rod type damped by a single shock unit, while the rear end uses a conventional push-rod damped by a single shock unit. This reliable suspension system is fitted with newly developed Pirelli slick racing tyres on all four wheels. Piloted by skilled drivers Satoru Nakajima and Stefano Modena, the Tyrell 020 racer was a prominent contender throughout the 1991 Formula One Grand Prix season. Modena used the car on display to finish 2nd in the Canadian GP.

Tyrrell 020-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Tyrrell 020-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Tyrell 020-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

The Humble engineers are hard at work, and expect to unveil a few more cars within the coming weeks  ;)

Offline ScranJ51

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2019, 01:59:16 PM »
As promised, the Humble Engineers offer two more for the Museum:

Brabham BT-50

BT50-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

BT50-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

BT50-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Renault had introduced turbocharged engines to Formula One in 1977. Brabham had tested a 4-cylinder BMW M12 turbocharged engine in the summer of 1981. For the
1982 season the team designed a new car, the BT50, around the BMW engine which, like the Repco engine sixteen years previously, was based on a road car engine block, the BMW M10. Brabham continued to run the Cosworth-powered BT49D in the early part of the season while reliability and driveability issues with the BMW units were resolved. The relationship came close to ending, with the German manufacturer insisting that Brabham use their engine. The turbo car on display here took its first win at the 1982 Canadian Grand Prix. In the Constructors Championship, the team finished fifth, the drivers Riccardo Patrese, who scored the last win of the Brabham-Ford combination in the 1982 Monaco Grand Prix, 10th and World Champion Piquet a mere 11th in the Championship for Drivers.

Benetton B192

B192-1 by David Freeman, on Flickr

B192-2 by David Freeman, on Flickr

B192-3 by David Freeman, on Flickr

Exactly one year after his debut at Spa Franchorchamps in 1991, Michael Schumacher won his first on a rain-soaked Spa Franchorchamps in his Benetton B192. This win was not only the first win for a German in over 17 years but it also was the first of a total of now over 50 wins for Schumacher. Schumacher finished third in the championship in his first full season behind the two Williams drivers Patrese and champion Mansell.

The B192 features a distinctive shark nose cone.  Two vertical plates suspend the large front wing, while the rear edge of the diffuser was extensively warped upwards, producing the efficient downforce desired.  The car used the Ford developed, high revving Type HB V-8 engine.  Although competing V-10 and V-12 engines had the advantage of larger power output, Ford’s HB engine’s light weight and compact design provided a superbly balance package.  The team, with Schumacher and Martin Brundle at the wheel earned points in all 16 rounds of the season and finished 3rd in the constructor’s title.  Martin Brundle’s car is on display here.

The engineers expect two more to be finished next week!!   8)