Author Topic: Apophenia's Offerings  (Read 905028 times)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Apophenia's Offerings
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »
Cheers Bill -- that is too cool!

Here's another oldie. There was a RW proposal for a twin-fan BAe 146 ... not sure about a swing-tail  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2012, 07:18:32 PM »
Very interesting

Offline apophenia

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2012, 05:31:28 AM »
Thanks JP. For most military applications, a rear ramp works better. But, for straight palletized cargo work, it's hard to beat the simplicity of the old Canadair CL-44 swing-tail  ;)
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline apophenia

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2012, 11:19:09 AM »
Going back to Litvak's AltCan concept, here's some armour themes -- those are 'ground targets' to you aviation-only types  ;)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2012, 07:49:57 AM »
Back to airborne targeters ... this is the CA-142 Gonzo Gunship  ;)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Canard Hellcat
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2012, 12:22:30 PM »
A bit of silliness (inspired by Tophe) ...
:-* Congratulations! This is better than I could have done myself!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2012, 03:08:59 AM »

Appropriate name!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline JP Vieira

• What-If World
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2012, 03:36:30 AM »
Like the Gonzo

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »

Missed this one ... I love what you did with the clunk!  :-*

That's a beauty! Put a V-tail on her and I'd have to start searching for kits/parts to make one.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2012, 11:04:46 PM »
Dear Apophenia,
Your CU-100 had a shadow on the port wing root, maybe for a port turbojet, but is this CU-100A below an asymmetric aircraft? asymmetric drone, what an oddity!

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2012, 08:27:15 AM »
Is that 40mm sticking out the aft door of the Gonzo Gunship one of the oft-travelled Boffins? You know, the ones from the carriers that went on to airfield defence in Germany and then to the Kingston class?  ;)

I wonder what it would look like in Transport Canada Surveillance markings?  >:D

Well Done!

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »

I was going to make a comment about the little known 1998 Beaver, Otter, Moose and Elk (BOME) pronounced Boom, uprising that almost over threw the Canadian Gov't if were not for Gonzo taking care of the ring leaders, Castor canadensis. With few well placed rounds of the 40MM cannon into the secret rebel HQ which was later revealed to be an unassuming Beaver Lodge located in Algonquin Park on the Lake of Two Rivers, just a few hours away from Ottawa. It was taking place right under our noses. Close call folks.

Gonzo saved the day.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:12:39 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline apophenia

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2012, 12:42:37 PM »
Thanks guys!

I was going to make a comment about the little known 1998 Beaver, Otter, Moose and Elk (BOME) pronounced Boom, uprising that almost over threw the Canadian Gov't if were not for Gonzo taking care of the ring leaders, Castor canadensis. With few well placed rounds of the 40MM cannon into the secret rebel HQ which was later revealed to be an unassuming Beaver Lodge located in Algonquin Park on the Lake of Two Rivers, just a few hours away from Ottawa. It was taking place right under our noses. Close call folks.

Gonzo saved the day.

He he. A few well-placed Bofors rounds -- just what Canadian politcs has been missing  ;D

Silver Fox: No point wasting those L/60s. 'Boffin' to the rescue once again  ;)

Offline apophenia

Austria Divided Armour
« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »
A pair of armoured vehicles from Upnorth's Austria storyline. Both are air defence derivatives of the Canaan IFV.
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=358.msg8457#msg8457

Left: CCV ADATS (aka Medium Armoured Mobile Air Defence Vehicle) of 119 Bty, Royal Canadian Artillery. CFB Gagetown, May 1994.

Right:
Canaan Mk.VI (Oto Melara SIDAM 25 turret) refurbished and upgraded for an unannounced export customer. On display (alongside Canaan Otomatic prototype in similar scheme) at Eurosatory 2006.

Offline upnorth

• Distorting a reality near you.
  • You want maple syrup on that Macchi?
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »
Those AD Canaans are great!

The ADATS turret looks really good on it.
Pickled Wings, A Blog for Preserved Aircraft:
http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague, Traveling the Rest of the Czech Republic:
http://beyondprague.net/

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
Re: Austria Divided Armour
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2012, 07:02:33 PM »
A pair of armoured vehicles from Upnorth's Austria storyline. Both are air defence derivatives of the Canaan IFV.
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=358.msg8457#msg8457

Left: CCV ADATS (aka Medium Armoured Mobile Air Defence Vehicle) of 119 Bty, Royal Canadian Artillery. CFB Gagetown, May 1994.

Right:
Canaan Mk.VI (Oto Melara SIDAM 25 turret) refurbished and upgraded for an unannounced export customer. On display (alongside Canaan Otomatic prototype in similar scheme) at Eurosatory 2006.

Hey great work apophenia - the off-the-shelf systems adaptation I both like and appreciate! Especially with the fact that the Canadians, like my army lack any sensible or effective anti aircraft guns at all let alone SPAAG!!

Any chance of you incorporate a Krauss-Maffei Wildcat 30mm SPAAG turret, or the South Korean K-30 Biho (Flying Tiger) SPAAG turret? Which I believe was itself an adaptation of the Wildcat system

M.A.D

Offline JP Vieira

• What-If World
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2012, 09:49:17 PM »
Great work!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2012, 02:23:47 AM »
The Canaan Mk.VI looks evil! >:D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2012, 07:35:22 AM »
Thanks guys. Here's some more Canaan IFV derivatives -- this time, direct-fire support variants.

Left: An ex-Austrian Jagdpanzer Kürassier in Slovenian colours. Armed with PaK 90s in FL-11 turrets, this vehicle was known locally as the SPT (Samovozni Protitankovski Top). In Slovene service, the SPT acted as a Reserves unit tank destroyer backing up the frontline T-55s.

This SPT's indivual vehicle number is obscured by camo nets and somewhat beat-up recognition tapes (applied to front and rear corners) need replacing.

Right: Another SDS vehicle in promotional colours. The Negev FSV sprang from SDS' post Cold War T-54/55 update program. With a brisk market for rebuilt T-55s, the SDS back lot filled up with unwanted Soviet turrets and D-10 guns. As an export gambit, the T-55 turrets were fitted to surplus North Sinai Canaan Mk.I hulls.

This example illustrates the penultimate Negev offering complete with MEXAS armour panels and even turret-mounted Strela-10 missiles for defence from low-flying aircraft. The only option missing was a 105mm L7 main gun. Most Negev customers went for the plain-Jane model. The D-10 was adequate for the fire support role as was the original Canaan armour plate.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »
Great stuff, apophenia! I sure wouldn't want to meet either of those in a dark alley!

Brian da Basher

Offline apophenia

Re: Austria Divided Armour
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2012, 12:03:17 PM »
Cheers Brian. The goal is to make 'em realistic (even flawed) but it's best if they look tough too  ;)

Any chance of you incorporate a Krauss-Maffei Wildcat 30mm SPAAG turret, or the South Korean K-30 Biho (Flying Tiger) SPAAG turret? Which I believe was itself an adaptation of the Wildcat system

Here ya go ...

A joint project by SDS and South Korean Doosan DST (formerly Daewoo). The SK30 Bi Ho/Sharav mounts Doosan's AD turret on the Canaan hulls as an alternative to the Doosan K21 IFV. This combination was attractive to existing Canaan users -- especially those which had chosen 30mm main guns for their IFVs.

Offline upnorth

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2012, 02:36:04 PM »
Hmmmm.....

Those are looking very sharp indeed.  My Canaan is turning into a very adaptable beast indeed.

Thanks for bringing some more life to the idea! :)

Offline apophenia

« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
upnorth: Canaan is an adaptable beast indeed. Here's the last for a bit (gotta get on with the Group Build stuff!) ...

SNS/Enasa-Pegaso Cortés

In 1996, SNS entered into an agreement with Enasa SA to produce Canaan derivatives in Spain. Under this agreement, SNS would provide hull components which would integrate with powertrains and locally-produced turret systems at the Enasa-Pegaso facility in Barcelona. This resulted in a distinct Spanish Canaan family which Enasa-Pegaso had distribution rights throughout Iberia and Latin America.

Vehículo Combate Cortés Family

The Spanish Canaan was marketed as the Cortés and, turrets aside, differed from the North Sinai original in having MAN diesels (MAN and Daimler-Benz having bought Enasa back in 1990). The first Cortés models were powered by 820 hp MAN D2840 V10s. Beginning in 1998, the V10 was eclipsed by the lighter, more compact 750 hp MAN D28 V8 diesel.

Turret supply for Cortés variants was diverse. The original Canaan OTO Melara turret was available for export versions but, for its IFV, Spain's Ejército de Tierra chose a local design by Santa Bárbara Sistemas. This vehicle entered Spanish service as the VCI (Vehículo Combate Infantería) and was marketed abroad as the Guepardo VCI-30. SDS knew this type as the Canaan IFV 30E.

Cortés Direct-Fire-Support Variants

An unusual Cortés variant was the fire-support VADFI (Vehículo del Apoyo Directa de Fuego de la Infantería). This heavy IFV mounted a German Thyssen-Henschel Begleitpanzer turret armed with the 57mm Bofors gun and a TOW missile launcher. Cortés VAMF was marketed abroad as the Puma ADF-57 (with optional HOT launcher). SDS knew this type as the Canaan FSV 57E.

The Cortés VADFI/Puma ADF-57 operated as both infantry fire-support and as anti-recce vehicle platforms. Not illustrated is the bigger-gunned Cortés variant which could rightly be regarded as a medium tank.

The Cortés VAMF (Vehículo del Apoyo Móvil de Fuego) was fitted with Thyssen-Henschel's TH 301 turret armed with a Rheinmetall 105mm Rh 105-30 main gun. Enasa-Pegaso marketed the Cortés VAMF abroad as the León AMF. SDS knew this type as the Canaan FSV 105E.

Enasa-Pegaso designed two other big-gunned Cortés variants that failed to find customers. The Tigre AMF was similar to the León/Cortés VAMF but fitted with the OTO Melara Hitfact turret and armed with low-pressure 105mm or 120mm main gun. A more radical departure from the Canaan parentage was the Oso VCA (Vehículo de Combate de Artillería) project.

The Oso VCA was to be an SP howitzer derivative of the Cortés. Otobreda's 155mm Palmaria turret was to be mounted on a lengthened Cortés chassis (returning to the Leopard MBT's seven roadwheels per side). A 900hp MAN V10 diesel would have powered the Oso VCA (aka Canaan SPH 155E). Neither the Ejército nor potential export customers took up the Oso VCA.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:59:44 AM by apophenia »

Offline upnorth

« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »
Great stuff! Can't wait for more when you get time. :)

Offline Rafael

• El capitán del Cartón
  • Head of the Venezuelan Brigade
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2012, 09:31:15 PM »
Great stuff! Can't wait for more when you get time. :)

Seconded!

That is a great family of tracked vehicles, in fact, you've given me an idea, and I have an old ROCO miniatures gepard spaag just waiting to be molded and produced in these guises
I don't take life seriously. I'm not getting out of it alive anyways.