Author Topic: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2  (Read 144607 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Claymore's AH AFVs: Take 2
« Reply #500 on: October 17, 2023, 03:28:45 PM »
Hmmm, researching the Putilov-Garford came up with this image;

With this bit in the accompanying text;

Note the chains on the rear wheels to try and improve off-road ability.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #501 on: October 17, 2023, 04:02:33 PM »
 :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #502 on: October 18, 2023, 03:45:07 AM »
Hmmm, researching the Putilov-Garford came up with this image;

With this bit in the accompanying text;

Note the chains on the rear wheels to try and improve off-road ability.

Another Putilov-Garford just crying out for a half-track conversion  ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Claymore

« Reply #503 on: November 04, 2023, 10:34:17 PM »
Romfell V2.0 Armoured Car:

The finished product with an extract from Petike's TL:

The Zemplín Federation's military (1918 - mid-to-late 1940s):

Armoured cars: Since the ATL version of the Austro-Hungarian Romfell armoured car had been produced in plentiful numbers (approaching 120 units), the governments of the Šariš Free State, Zemplín Federation and Kingdom of Galizia commandeered as many leftover units as possible after the collapse of the eastern front late in WWI.​

Modifications and add-ons​:  The governments soon realized that the vanilla version of the vehicle wouldn't be all that suitable for the needs of their interwar militaries. Furthermore, while a good basic design, the model had several inherent flaws that were in dire need of being addressed by technical tweaking and updating. Maintaining and reproducing some of the more intricate parts and portions of the vehicles would prove too pricy, especially for the strapped-for-cash Šariš and Zemplín militaries. Hence why all of the three countries decided to resort to extensive modifications of all surviving Romfell hulls.​

Upgrades of the Romfell common in all three states included:​
  - Replacement of the original engines for more powerful ones.​
  - The hull plating was, where possible, slightly thickened.​
  - The once overly narrow wheels were replaced with far broader, thicker, buffer ones.​
  - The roof of the turret, originally equipped with a simple and rather unergonomic hatch, was replaced by a static roof that could be raised and lowered by a handcrank-operated mechanism from inside the turret.​
  - Several variants of the car were created in each country. Every variant was distinctive either by its extended number of wheels, modified hull or by new armaments.​

Resulting variants​:  The three Romfell that were in use among the armoured units of the ZF's armed forces since the 1920s, up until the 1940s were the following:​
  1. Hače ("Foal") armoured scout car - This variant is the closest to the original Romfell. It is a simple armoured scout car   with a single machine gun and a crew consisting of only a driver and gunner. The hind parts of the vehicle were slightly enlarged to allow for a smaller, inexpensive on-board radio. (Claymore's note: Not reproduced as a model)​
  2. Hačur ("Stallion") anti-tank armoured car - The most ambitious and creative of the variants, but also the one that was  produced the least. It was derived from an experimental prototype, a six-wheeled expansion of the original Romfell. Since the Romfell - vanilla as well as modified - is overall a fairly light armoured car and has a rather small turret, the ZF armed forces made a decision to equip it with heavy anti-tank rifles instead of actual light cannons. While the caliber of these improvised "rifle-cannons" is rather low and they can't pack as much of a punch as a real cannon, they are still adequate for supporting infantry and armoured cars with machine guns against more lightly armoured vehicles (e.g. tankettes, light tanks). The space offered by the expanded hind quarters of the variant are used primarily for housing the on-board radio, a small storage of additional ammo for the AT rifle and the bench of the ammo loader (who also doubles as a radio operator when he's not handing AT bullets to the gunner). The ammo can be loaded into the car through a small single door in the back. This door is also used as an emergency escape hatch for the gunner, in case he doesn't make it to the front doors of the car.​
  3. Kobula ("Mare") light APC / assault armoured car - This variant came into being as a simpler offshoot of the Stallion six-wheeler. There are only two real differences between the duo: The turret sports a machine gun instead of an anti-tank rifle.   Instead of a small storage for AT rifle ammo, the reinforced hind quarters of the car have small benches, able to accommodate up to 4 infantrymen. Said infantrymen can enter through two doors at the back of the car. The relative spaciousness of the hind quarters also permits the car to carry a bigger and more powerful on-board radio. This means that the car can also be used as an improvised command vehicle, with one or two of the soldiers replaced by a platoon commander and his aide, both sitting near the radio.​

Reasons behind the turret hatch modification:​  There is no longer a top hatch on the turret. The entire roof is a solid single piece but can be lifted a bit on small rack rails inside the turret, powered by a hand crank. The main reason why they redesigned the original roof was to avoid someone sneaking up on the car, climbing on the turret, opening the hatch and chucking in a hand grenade. The crew of the modified car is in about the same amount of potential danger as the tankette and light tank crews, so having a top hatch wouldn't add much to the survivability. Of course, losing a top hatch makes an escape a bit more involved, but the modified car was never meant to fight tanks head on.​

Tactical use of the modified Romfell​: The Romfell is not intended to directly battle armour larger than light tanks, and certainly not against whole groups of enemy armour. With the improved wheels and more powerful engine, the car is intended  for hit-and-run tactics, rather than direct confrontations with a larger armoured force or infantry force. Most of the preferred tactics focus on ambushes, especially in rural areas with dirt roads among fields, meadows and the edges of forests. Hiding behind foliage or hedgerows is part of commencing ambushes. The cars coordinate with jaegers and with other light armoured vehicles (sometimes even with mounted troops) to harass the enemy in ambush-advantageous locations. The AT variant (and AT rifle infantry) attempt to harass enemy light armoured vehicles and motor vehicles, while the MG variants (and machine gunners and riflemen) try to attack enemy infantry and mounted troops. The goal isn't an orderly thinning-down of the ranks, but an effort to cause as much confusion, chaos and panic in the invaders as possible, possibly even induce a rout
.​

The Stallion model depicts vehicle number III of the Heavy AT Company of the Zemplín Federation's Armoured Car Battalion whilst the Mare represents vehicle number III of the battalion's Headquarters Company. The model is adapted from a couple of excellent CSM Romfell Panzerwagen models and the ubiquitous plastic card. The figure’s (Officer and JNCO) are also from CSM.

Stallion

Mare

« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 05:09:11 PM by Claymore »

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #504 on: November 04, 2023, 10:35:46 PM »
Those figures, I am approving of most heartily.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #505 on: November 04, 2023, 11:04:36 PM »
That's brilliant, mate! :smiley:

Backstory is cool, vehicle(s) are cooler & those figures are excellent! 8) 8) 8) :icon_alabanza:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #506 on: November 05, 2023, 01:43:18 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #507 on: November 05, 2023, 02:50:33 AM »
Thank you very much gents, much appreciated. 👍

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #508 on: November 05, 2023, 09:18:09 AM »
Great backstory and fantastic mod of the vehicle. It actually looks more realistic and effective than the original. The figures look great as well.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #509 on: November 05, 2023, 05:10:30 PM »

Offline Claymore

« Reply #510 on: November 13, 2023, 12:38:11 AM »
Sometimes things just happen... promises are made but then things happen... projects get started; work gets done but then things happen... And eventually so much time has passed that it becomes really awkward, and I end up feeling like a complete arse!

Anyhoo, I present the completed model - started back in 2018...

Egyptian Thutmose III:

To cut a very long story short, the guy who came up with the concept, postulated that the Soviet IS-2 tank stayed in production much longer than it did and in favour of the IS-3. Some of these IS-2s find their way into service with the Egyptian Army (renamed Thutmose) and over time go through a series of upgrades eventually leading to AFV in question. In his mind's eye, he saw this final conversion being something similar to the real-life Ramses upgrade of the T-55 but with extras.

Basically, what he was after was an IS-2 with M48/60 Patton running gear, a Continental diesel engine, British L11 120mm gun and various other bells and whistles.

I had this old IS-2 in my stash but soon realised that it was too far gone (running gear solidly glues in place) to make a suitable donor - so on went the computer and after a quick email to Mr Hannants a cheap Svezda IS-2 was winging its way to Chateau Claymore. I settled on the Svesda model for no other reason than its relatively low price and the knowledge that a good deal of it was going to get chopped up and thrown away.

So, first things first... new running gear and tracks donated from an old Italeri M60 and removal of the old engine deck. Note some addition plastic card required to fill in the enormous gaps where the upper and lower hulls meet...

New engine deck in place and boxed in and fenders widened to cover new tracks.

In tackling the turret, I soon realised that there was just no way the big 120mm L11 gun would fit into the basic turret, but I really wanted to keep the feel of the original IS-2. This required some major surgery to lengthen the turret whilst also swapping the crew positions around to match the Western gun. After several failed attempts to do something with the M60 turret I had, I gave it ups as a lost cause and delved deeper into the pit-of-despair that is/are my spares box/es. What I ended up with was an old Centurion turret (so old I have no idea who made it). I used the rear end, heavily hacked and modified but, in the end, a perfect fit and giving me the exact look I was after. All hail Milliput putty for blending the whole thing together.

Gun in place, fenders extended and all the usual extra goodies added, the Thutmose is looking like a believable MBT.

This is perhaps the most heavily modified whiff I have undertaken without going into the realms of scratch building - great fun. The next stage was the undercoat which helped pull everything together.

And that's where everything ground to a halt... Five years later (three of which were spent working in the US - not that I'm claiming any credible excuses) and the final paint job... The model depicts a vehicle of 2nd Armoured Brigade, 4th Armoured Division.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 08:21:26 PM by Claymore »

Offline Mig Eater

• Munch, Munch, Munch
    • Mig Eater Studio
« Reply #511 on: November 13, 2023, 01:27:00 AM »
Wow that looks great  :smiley:

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #512 on: November 13, 2023, 01:40:56 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #513 on: November 13, 2023, 04:47:51 PM »
Man, that is exquisite! 8) 8) :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #514 on: November 13, 2023, 05:12:19 PM »
Many thanks gents, you are most kind.  :smiley:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #515 on: November 13, 2023, 05:28:18 PM »
What a transition  :icon_surprised:    Flawless integration of M60 parts  :smiley:   With turret and finishing it is OOB convincing  :smiley:

Offline Claymore

« Reply #516 on: November 13, 2023, 08:30:03 PM »
Thanks mate, much appreciated.  The project was great fun to do but I can't believe that it took over 5 years to finally get it completed - where the hell did that go!!  :o ;)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #517 on: January 16, 2024, 12:04:25 AM »
Did this one for the British Commonwealth GB - link to full build:  https://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10913.0

FV431 Excalibur:

By the early 1960s, in the face of evolving aircraft design and capabilities, it was becoming all too evident that western ground-based air defence, and Britain’s in particular, was not all that it could be. Whilst the British Army’s wide-area air defence (AD) coverage and the RAF’s long-range AD cover were effectively provided by the Thunderbird surface-to-air missile (SAM) system and the Bloodhound SAM system respectively, the provision of short-range air defence (SHORAD) was limited to the aging Bofors 40/L70 gun system. A development of the WW2 era 40/L60 anti-aircraft gun, the 40/L70, although issued with an effective proximity fused round, was still operated optically using the Mk 1 eyeball.

The British Ministry of Defence (MoD), realising that a modern missile system would be required to augment and eventually replace their less than efficient gun systems, started to work on a potential solution. The end result of these deliberations would eventually manifest itself in the modular, compact and highly effective towed Rapier missile system which started to enter service in 1971 and which would completely replace the 40/L70 by 1977. However, this did not answer the immediate SHORAD capability shortfall and so it was that two interim designs were also considered for development and fielding.

Short Brothers of Belfast proposed Tigercat, a land-based development of their Seacat system - itself a surface-to-air development of the Malkara anti-tank missile. As a subsonic system, Tigercat was far from ideal, and the Army were not impressed but the RAF persevered and eventually equipped a single RAF Regt squadron in 1967.

On the other hand, Hawker Siddeley Dynamics, with the backing of the British Army, proposed something altogether more suited to manoeuvre operations and in keeping with what their US counterparts were developing under the Chaparral programme. Like its US cousin, Excalibur, as the system was to be called, would be a based on an infra-red (IR) heat seeking missile. However, rather than adopting the US Sidewinder, Excalibur would use a variant of the company’s own Red Top missile. The Mach 3.2 Red Top was already in service with the RAF and carried a considerable punch in its 31 Kg (68.3 lbs) warhead. However, as an air-launched missile, the standard air-to-air Red Top was not optimised for static ground launch operations and, consequently, some significant internal redesign would be required. Specifically, the opportunity was taken to overhaul and update the missile’s electronics pack and the warhead was slightly reduced in size to 22.7 Kg (50 lbs). The space saved by both these initiatives allowed the Linnet rocket motor to be enlarged to include an integral boost motor to overcome the initial launch inertia. The cumulative effect of all these alterations was a missile that could be successfully ground launched but with a reduction in max speed to Mach 2.8 and a reduction in max range from 12 Km to 7.8 Km – still a very impressive SHORAD capability.

Excalibur was mounted on the fully tracked FV431 carrier – an extended, flatbed variant of the FV430 series of vehicles. The FV431 carried a two-man crew (driver/radio operator and commander/engagement controller (EC)), an auxiliary generator provided the necessary power to run the system and a cryonic air cooler provided the missile seekers with the necessary cooling. The launcher was capable of a full 360 degrees traverse and carried 4 ready to fire missiles on its launch rails. A 12 Km range, F-band, pulse-doppler surveillance radar (with integral D-band IFF) mounted between the launch rails detected and prioritise targets. The launcher would then slew in azimuth and the beams elevate to cue the missile’s IR seeker onto the target. Target lock was indicated by a distinctive tone in the EC’s headset. The 2-man crew could fight the system from inside the vehicle or, if in location for extended periods of time, could dismount and operate the system remotely.

At 154 Kg (350 lbs), the Red Top was not a small missile and there was no room on the launch vehicle for reloads to be carried. This necessitated a dedicated FV431 Missile Support Vehicle (MSV) which carried an additional 8 missiles and an Atlas 63.M7 hydraulic crane to carry out the reloading function. The two additional MSV crew members allowed for full 24-hour operations of the Excalibur system.

The FV431 Excalibur system entered service in 1968 and remained as the British Army’s primary manoeuvre SHORAD capability until replaced by Tracked Rapier in 1980. Excalibur was exported to Saudi Arabia (also a Red Top user) where it remained in service until 1988.

The model depicts ‘Anaconda’, a fire unit of 11 Battery, 22 Air Defence Regiment Royal Artillery, 1st Artillery Brigade, I Br Corps and is made from parts of a Takom FV432, AFV Club M730A1 Chaparral, Cults 3D print Red Top missiles, several parts cast in plastic padding and, of course, a whole lot of plastic card!

Travelling configuration...

Closed down firing configuration...

Dismounted firing configuration (the crew would be remoted 20-25m from the vehicle)...

The selector engagement zone (SEZ) of which there were two (one inside the vehicle and one which could be remoted) housed the master safe/arm key, provided basic radar azimuth and missile lock indications, allowed the EC to set blind arcs, counter ECM and initiate engagements.

The strange looking piece of kit on the tripod is a very simple but elegant bit of kit called – not very imaginatively – the pointing stick. This allowed the EC during periods of emission control (EMCOM) when the surveillance radar was switched off to cue the system by visually sighting on a target – when the pointing stick trigger was pulled the launcher would be slaved in elevation and azimuth allowing the missile’s IR seeker to search for the target.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 12:54:28 AM by Claymore »

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #518 on: January 16, 2024, 01:07:19 AM »
Very cool! Great job!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #519 on: January 16, 2024, 02:00:33 AM »
Very cool! Great job!

Thank you!  :smiley:

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #520 on: January 16, 2024, 04:36:23 AM »
yeah baby yeah!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #521 on: January 16, 2024, 04:48:38 AM »

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #522 on: January 16, 2024, 09:42:33 AM »
That looks great! The launch operator may be a bit close - I'm not sure covering his ears will help much.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #523 on: January 16, 2024, 11:15:48 AM »
Bloody awesome work.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #524 on: January 16, 2024, 05:07:27 PM »
That looks great! The launch operator may be a bit close - I'm not sure covering his ears will help much.

Thanks.  As the backstory says, the crew would actually be remoted 20-25m from the launcher. The model display is only for reference as actual scale would be impracticable.  :smiley:

Bloody awesome work.

Many thanks and much appreciated!  :icon_alabanza: