Author Topic: The Last Train 2057  (Read 7795 times)

Brother Macal

The Last Train 2057
« on: October 06, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »
Hi Folks!

I'm new around here, even don't know that I've wrote an introduction...

Btw, I'll try to introduce one of my projects, started in 2011. The model's lying on my shelf, wainting to get back in business :) It's based on a drawing I've made a few years ago, a post-apocalytptic themed train made up from bashed parts. It has a story also, started a little short novel about it (also never finished... )

A short prologue for the background:

In a Post-Apocalytic world, in the year 2057, 14 years after the III. World War. The War wasn't avoided the mother continent Europe, destroyed almost everything there, just like in Asia, in the Far-East, and Africa. The population of the Earth decimated, no just by the War, but the following diseases brought suffering to mankind. The situation was aggravated by the radiation, the curse of the nuclear and chemical weapons. And above all, there was the heritage of the biological weapons...
The war made a new world order, the most powerful nations weakened, even if they can preserve their independency.
The most of the population lives in the Safe Zones in huge cities. But there were other people, who are left these zones for adventurousness, for money, for the forgotten technological knowledge.
But the desolated landscape wasn't so abandoned, there were smaller-larger tribes, smaller city-states, merchants, bandits...
And there was this little mercenary group in the Carpathian Basin...

So, I had the theme, had the parts I needed, and started the stuff :)
The flatcar is a RMMS style flatcar, the banker will be the Hungarian M32 called "Gokart"...

Flatcar:

Banker:

The flatcar has a superstructure, most from welded plates, with some extras, the sandbags has been made of miliput, and also used some other spare parts for the details from other kits. I have a semi finished scratch boogies, but have to do a lots of work with them, also have to copy the turned wheel... I'll use Trumpeters 1:35 rail set for the railway...
Still have to make a dozer blade like thing on the front of the flatcar :)

And the pix:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Last Train 2057
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 11:41:09 PM »
Wow that's one great railroad whiff you've got in the works, there Brother Macal! Your detailing is really superb!

We don't see much railroad stuff around here, so this is a great treat!

You're well on the way towards building a total show-stopper!

Brian da Basher

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 11:49:58 PM »
Now that's a great stuff, kind of modern Leopold :) I'll watch it with great interest :)
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline TerryCampion

• Be careful asking for his photos…he might send them to you!
  • Radish by a new moniker
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:31:22 AM »
Ooooops....great....ooooohhhh :icon_swat: :icon_swat:

Brother Macal

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 03:06:07 AM »
... kind of modern Leopold :)

First of all, thanks All! :) Secondly, it's much smaller than the Leopold was, it's just a flatcar with a T-72 turret mounted on it :) It's rather in relation with the Panzerjagerwagen :)

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 03:41:04 AM »
You'll fit in nicely around here sir, please continue  8)

At first glance those WIP shots of the turret car minus the undercarriage makes me think River Monitor!  My inner ship modeler is pleased and inspired.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:49:52 AM by Cliffy B »
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:46:19 AM »
A question arises concerning the barrel length and the overhang onto the next rail car, would it not be prudent to move the entire structure back to keep the barrel within the confines of the space taken up by that car?  Going around corners could be a problem :)

Nice work so far, looking forward to seeing what other features you add to your project. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Brother Macal

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 04:06:11 AM »
Hi Jeffry! :)

It's an improvised vehicle, it's crew just made it from scrap, and steel plates. It was important to have a flat part on the backside of the flatcar, to store, load etc, and for the easier movement of the crew. But the turret can turn around in 360 degrees. and this is the first car on any kind of train :) It will have a dozer blade like thing on its front, to go trought everything in its way :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 04:45:00 AM »
I overlooked the description pertaining to this being the lead car in the train, makes more sense now to have the barrel sticking out so you can depress to fire at targets close to the train. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • Dominion of British Columbia
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 06:54:38 AM »
Brilliant!

I'm curious... on the drawing, are the misspellings deliberate? :P (But I must say, I love the very technical description there, "bazi tolólap", and how it spells out "DéEsKá"... :D
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Dominion of BC - https://dominionofbc.miraheze.org/wiki/British_Columbia

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 10:40:12 AM »
Sweet. Can't wait to see how you build out the engine.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Brother Macal

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 02:53:25 PM »
Brilliant!

I'm curious... on the drawing, are the misspellings deliberate? :P (But I must say, I love the very technical description there, "bazi tolólap", and how it spells out "DéEsKá"... :D

:D :D :D  Yeah, the little communities after the apoc just doesn't agree about the right way of spelling even in hungarian :) DéEsKá means: DSK (as you would say it in hungairan) "bazi tolólap" means big-@ss blade :)

Jeffry!

You're rigth about this, but they had only a T72 turret, it's belonged to the hungarian army before... and I also didn't wanted to cut that beautifull metal barrel :) Btw, this long barrel is really good for long distance fight in the hungarian plains :)

Originally in the backgorund story, this train located in the southern outskirts of Budapest, the capital of a country called Hungary... There's a community of few thousand, and a little group from ex-soldiers, engineers, adventurers, stalkers and a young guy, who wants to join this group... They made this vehicles to go into the lost and polluted parts of southern europe to collect everything whic they can sell or can be used for their community or trade with other tribes or communities, like foods, scrap, weapons, etc, or sometimes undertake discover and mapping missions.
So, the long barrel not works well in cityfights, and on really short range, but ideal for long range combat...

Btw, thanks for all comments!

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 01:48:20 AM »
 :o THis is just awesome!!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »
I like it..
Brought back some images of the railway Underdog used in the great movie Starhunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone.
but with more firepower !