Author Topic: Galapagos 1  (Read 7175 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Galapagos 1
« on: August 02, 2015, 12:03:46 PM »
WW2 concludes but Russia doesn't stop for long !

Uncle Joe's desires to crush the West before they attack him means a new push further West than East Germany & WW3 starts with a non-declared push over the frontier, isolating Berlin completely.  The Berlin Airlift begins but is soon stopped by Russian airpower ....

The Western Allies re-equip with new equipment - the US Army with M-26 Pershings (now with reliable torsion-bar suspension courtesy of Germany), Great Britain with the new Centurion Tank & the Tortoise for heavy shooting.

France re-equips with the other's cast-offs but gets a number of Tortoise tanks as they are keen to be at the forefront to dispell the myth that they didn't want to fight well in WW2.

Naturally they preferred to have more than one main gun & added turrets from older tanks for supplemental firepower, Calling them "Galapagos" tanks.

Started the Meng kit - Tamiya fit quality & goes together quickly ... to start with .... added applique some armour & extra turret from a Char B kit.
Now to spend hours cleaning up the many parts of the suspension :icon_twisted:

Don't know if I'll finish this by the deadline - not likely on my past performances ... can I ask for a 6 month extension now ? ??? ;D

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Galapagos 1
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 12:40:34 PM »
Interesting approach, thanks!

can I ask for a 6 month extension now ? ??? ;D
And if this is refused, what will you do? Declare WW4 against all moderators of the World?  ;)

Offline japsubshunter

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 11:56:38 PM »
Very interesting subject - going to be nice to see the end result.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:11:51 AM »

Don't know if I'll finish this by the deadline - not likely on my past performances ... can I ask for a 6 month extension now ? ??? ;D

Me too!!!

This is one UMF!  Looking forward to the finished product.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 10:58:30 AM »
Great concept and execution, looks mean. :D
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 12:49:57 PM »
Started building the eight suspension bogies -- as quite a few modellers like 101% of the detail even if it can't be seen, Meng provides everything in, for me, un-necessary detail & with an un-necessary number of parts.
Only the lower part of the end-plates, arms & wheels can be seen once the outer armour plates are put on so, as I'm of the "only build what can be seen" brigade, I'm only assembling the necessary parts per bogie (112 parts in total) ... leaving the 116 other parts for the spares box.  I think I'll only build one bogie per day as, with the lesser parts, they're still so fiddly !

While waiting for the glue on the 14 parts of the first bogie to set, I modified a Centurion turret stowage-bin & fitted it across the back of the upper superstructure.

One very annoying feature is that, despite several washings in carbolic, the plastic still sweats, making every little part very slippery - wearing disposable latex gloves is essential to get a grip on parts & stop them from flying into the maw of the carpet monster.

The gun-barrel looks ridiculously skinny for such a large vehicle, so I'm considering replacing it with a thicker one from my supply of dead biros.
((I really must kill more biros, I seem to be using their bodies on every tank kit I build))

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 12:10:01 PM »
got the bogies done & tracks started ..... 5 pips on each track link to clean up !
Added most of the tow clevises too but not much more progress due to the fiddliness of it all .... I need a long cuppa after each session :icon_sueno:

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 11:40:09 AM »
added more applique armour & replaced the solid-molded grab-handles but have only got one track assembled so far ... a long & tedious job.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 09:40:33 PM »
This is excellent!  :icon_surprised:
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »
Did you finish your model?

Please post your entry in appropiate thread.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:27:01 AM by ysi_maniac »

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 04:43:07 AM »

Please post your entry in appropiate thread.

Not yet, waiting 3 weeks for more paint to arrive  :(

Will reactivate thread in "land models" when ready.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 07:58:21 PM »

Not yet, waiting 3 weeks for more paint to arrive  :(

Wow! :icon_surprised:

Is it that big? ;)

(He says, realising just how some people are going to read it out of context. ::) )
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 08:17:26 AM »
well I'm slowly getting there ..... the bogies & tracks were a great challenge to my patience.

Only a few touch-ups, the cam & weathering to do now.
I will add some crew eventually but the French commander figure sitting in the turret supplied with the Tamiya Char B1 is not very good (upper & lower body seem to be from different figures !).

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 08:24:30 AM »
 Nifty! The Tortoise is a great vehicle, and the only thing I love more than a big, improbable tank is a big, improbable tank with sub-turrets.

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 08:02:35 AM »
apart from some touching-up etc, I'm calling this done ! :icon_music:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:04:43 AM by raafif »

Offline raafif

• Whiffing Insane
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 08:06:54 AM »
more .... )bottom photo shows the flame-fuel tank for a Crocodile version I was thinking about doing).