Yes
5 (29.4%)
No
10 (58.8%)
Maybe
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: April 20, 2013, 03:40:59 AM

Author Topic: A question/proposal regarding GB voting  (Read 9333 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
A question/proposal regarding GB voting
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:40:59 AM »
Folks,

A question/proposal for you.  In the GBs when it comes to voting it is sometimes the case that those who submit multiple entries undo their chances of winning.  What I mean here is that if someone submits, say 3 or 4 entries they can be beaten by someone who only submits a single entry.  This is because the person submitting multiple entries has their votes split across those multiple entries.  In effect, they become their own competitor.  In many cases it is even possible that the multiple entry person has more overall votes, just not for any one entry.

Now whist winning is not everything in the GBS (participation and fun is far more important), it may be equally considered 'unfair' if the person who has contributed more in the spirit of the theme is not recognised for doing so.

This brings me to my proposal:  would you agree that in GB voting, multiple entries by the same individual should be grouped together so as to better reflect that person's contribution to the GB theme?  Please note that this would only affect entries in the same category - i.e. we wouldn't group people's entries across the physical models and profiles/stories sections, only within those individual sections.

Please vote, and provide supporting comments arguments if you like - they may help convince others.

The vote is up for 14 days and members can change their vote if they change their mind.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: A question/proposal regarding GB voting
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 04:02:28 AM »
I always figured people are judging each entry on its own merits without regard to who submitted it. At least that's how I vote.

I'm not sure I'd want all my GB entries lumped together. Some are better than others and it's interesting to see what others think.

Regardless how this plays out, the discussion is worth having and I'll still be playing along in as many GBs as I can!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 04:05:29 AM »
Good point Brian.  Especially pertinent given you are one of those who regularly submits multiple entries.

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 04:28:44 AM »
Hey there, I can understand points both for and against.  I'd prefer that we do decide how we're going to do it and stick to that method, however.  Looking at previous GBs, the moderator of the GB runs it how he thinks best, so we've seen both methods in action.  On top of that, the method hasn't been announced before the voting was split up, so it doesn't allow entrants to plan accordingly.

I know Brian is in favor of the "per entry" voting and he's one of the most prolific builders in any GB!  I think that if we stick to the "per entry" method moving forward, I'll probably limit myself to a single entry per GB and just work on side projects after that one's submitted.

I will say one thing in favor of the combined method, however.  In all the cases where there was a story accompanied by profiles, the GB moderator has always lumped them into the same entry, regardless of how they split the others.  That goes back to the consistency aspect of the question.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 04:36:42 AM »
I would have to say I would lean towards having each entry voted on, as Brian says, some of the multiple entries might not be as good as another.  If you lump them altogether you'd be voting for something not quite as good, plus the builder wouldn't know if a particular subject caught the voters eye and which ones didn't.

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 05:19:33 AM »
I think BdB has hit the nail on the head. I fully agree with him on this. Nothing much I could add ...
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline niki

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »
...reflect that person's contribution to the GB theme?[/b]

Hi guys,

I am currently part of the National Reserves GB over on ARC. A couple of other GBs are going on there simultaneously, with the Phantom Addicts one taking the spot light with many entries and much discussion. This, of course, one could argue, has diminished the potential number of participants in the NRGB, with this latter most likely looking slim by the time it'll end in some three months time.

Now, judging strictly from the competition point of view, what everyone else before me said is true: the best entry should get the praise.
If the aim however is to get as many entries possible, bringing along diversity, lots of ideas, discussions, etc. [in this spirit I understood Greg's quote], then...

Couldn't there perhaps be a system that acknowledges both the best entry on the one hand and the best contribution (not necessarily to be called that way) on the other, at the same time?

Cheers,
Niki

P.S.: mind you, I am not that familiarized with the actual happenings on this forum, so it is possible to have misunderstood some things. Apologies upfront for that  :-[

I am about to embark on a What-If GB and will share the (modest) outcome with you in due time :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »
Hi Niki,

You have captured my thoughts exactly.  I like your suggestion too.  Maybe we can introduce a new category during the voting.  Basically this would result in three typical votes:

• Best Physical Build
  • Best Profile/Pixel/Story
  • Best overall contribution to the Theme

Regards,

Greg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 04:35:52 PM »
Thoughts to chew on.

1. Physical builds have two charateristics that mess with my vote.  Concept (what it is) and detail/fit/finish.  Which way to vote when I most like two for those reasons.  ???

2. Cannot vote for your own entry and you must vote for some entry or your entry is disqaulified.   Desirable?   Can voting software do that?   Do we care?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »
My thoughts:

1.  Up to you.  I usually base my decisions on a combination of both plus match with overall theme.
2.  No rule saying you can't vote for your own.  Personally though I think many of us would think it poor form to do so.  Either way, we can't/won't make the software prevent you.

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 11:42:31 PM »
I believe that it should be more fair to vote for eachparticipants (either it presents one of multiple entries).
In my view, what counts is the effort done by the person entering, and so is more fair not the have those votes dispersed among multiple entries.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 06:26:41 AM »
Hi Niki,

You have captured my thoughts exactly.  I like your suggestion too.  Maybe we can introduce a new category during the voting.  Basically this would result in three typical votes:

• Best Physical Build

Regards,

Greg

I like this.  I do think that each entry has to be voted on independently on its own merit or else, quite frankly, what's the point.  However, some folks are prolific in their output and this too should be recognised.  Therefore, I like the option of a third vote for best overall contribution.
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 09:05:32 AM »
2. Cannot vote for your own entry and you must vote for some entry or your entry is disqaulified.   Desirable?   Can voting software do that?   Do we care?

Even the President can vote for himself.......

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 03:58:02 PM »
Hi Niki,

• Best Physical Build

Regards,

Greg

My thoughts too. I'd be happy to run with this.
Were going to be finished in 2020 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - Maybe When Hell Freezes Over - again? - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Stud

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »
I agree with BdB as well with his initial points.

I also find the above proposal appealing as well so gets my thumbs up as well

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 02:27:01 PM »
Niki came up with a good idea there!  :) New face hits a home run

I like that we discuss things like this I can see so many points of view in all of it. I usually enter GBs to share in the madness and hopefully finish, because thats challenging enough for me(!)

i don't usually worry about who "wins," I think we're all winners in my book I win, and when someone else wins thats ok but you're wrong and I hate you  ;D
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 10:52:05 PM »
 Oh good grief - Isn't anybody going snort dismissively at the new kid?!?  ;)

I can see where Da Basher is coming from, and I like Niki's idea as well. I had the signal
 good fortune to win the first GB we held here, and after I came out of the coma realized
 I'd actually become a little intimidated by it...I don't think I'd be as affected as some by
 lumping my projects all together - I'm just not that productive - but it would place a minor
 onus on the voter..."Gads, I really Like the Veeblefeltezer Mk IV, but that submarine Spitfire
 with the perpendicular rotors was just tooo much!..."  I'd say keep them separate.

I'm going to go think on this a bit more - I'm a little distracted at the moment.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Holding Pattern
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 04:04:25 AM »
I like the "Best Contribution to Theme" idea too. While entries are always within the scope of the theme, there's always someone who's magic at just completely nailing it. They deserve to be recognized too.

Kudos on some great thinking and discussion!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 04:52:01 AM »
Thanks everyone for voting and sharing their views.  I welcome this sort of contribution from members.

To prove that we do listen, I have asked Cliffy B and Father Ennis, the Moderators of the current "All Things Floaty" GB to trial the suggested new voting system (i.e. where we have the following categories:

• Best Physical Build
  • Best overall contribution to the theme)

When it comes time to vote for the entries against this GB.

Let's see how that goes.

Regards,

Greg

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 10:11:52 PM »
Do you vote for each category?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 03:02:03 AM »
Do you vote for each category?

That is the expectation.