Author Topic: ASLAV 1A2 - Done! (w/pic's)  (Read 28796 times)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
Re: ASLAV 4x4 (ASLAV 1A2)
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 11:39:50 PM »
Absolutely one of the nicest whif AFV's I have ever seen. 10/10.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 02:43:20 AM »

Now, all I need to find is a FGM-148 Javelin ATGM in 1/35th

I'm not sure if anyone has done one (unless its part of a bigger kit).  You might need to scratch build one.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 07:33:27 AM »

I'm not sure if anyone has done one (unless its part of a bigger kit).  You might need to scratch build one.

No-one, so far, but Live Resin had one in the works about 12 months ago, so I'll hold off scratching one for a bit as it's an easy add-on later down the track.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 07:57:29 PM »
Gorgeous! There's nothing about this build that I don't like. 

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 03:02:17 AM »

No-one, so far, but Live Resin had one in the works about 12 months ago, so I'll hold off scratching one for a bit as it's an easy add-on later down the track.

Yeah, Live Resin were the first lot I thought of.  Maybe try emailing Yaroslav directly to ask about it?

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2016, 05:28:11 AM »
This really changed the looks of the original vehicle. I wasn't too sure about the spare tire cutout, but it looks perfect and logical now!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 01:08:24 AM »
So, after 8 1/2 days with our land-line &, hence, internet down, I can report progress on the Armoured Vehicle Front!

Paint has happened!

ASLAV based scheme using Tamiya XF-78 Wooden Deck Tan, LifeColor UA 091 Dark Green (as the light green - go figure! :-\ ) & Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green (as the dark green). Not the actual Army colours but, then, they're going to be Marines vehicles when finished, so a bit of variation is OK in my universe.

I have been tossing around the idea of adding a 4th colour (Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth) as another point of / obvious expression of difference to RW vehicles, but I'm beginning to feel it will look too crowded if I do that.

Anyway, photo's are still uploading to PhotoBucket - quite a few of them, actually. So, when that's done I'll chuck in a photo's-only post for your perusal.

Cheers! :icon_beer:

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2016, 02:01:41 AM »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2016, 03:09:24 AM »
Mmmmmm.... :-*

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
Ooooh, that is looking very tasty!  :)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2016, 10:31:34 AM »
Glad you like it, guys! :icon_alabanza:

Offline uncle les

• Aussie Whiffer Extraordinaire!
  • The man behind the models of the same name...
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »
That's really neat. I have to build one now... and I've got some Marder bits somewhere.... 
 :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2016, 10:22:48 PM »
Great! Now I'll be competing with Uncle Les at the next SAPMA Expo! ::)

;) :)

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2016, 12:23:21 PM »
Didn't know you were doing this too, so you chopped up a LAV? Looks good, well done  :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2016, 02:05:14 PM »

I have seen a resin Javelin shape some where on the interwebz.  Wish I could remember where it was but it was a resin accessory.   :icon_crap:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2016, 04:26:11 PM »
I think there was a discussion about them on Armorama (?) & I think it was Yaroslav (Live Resin) who put up a pic they have of one they are working on.

If they bring it out I'm buying half-a-dozen, at least! :)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2016, 04:58:32 PM »
Guy,

Must have been the Armorama discussion that I caught.  Hopefully LiveResin does produce a model of the Javelin soon.  I would probably set my sights on a dozen of the things to start with :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »
Just received a Trumpy BRDM-2 (Late) in the mail because this was the vehicle that started the whole 4x4 ASLAV idea in the first place, so I had to have one.

The 4x4 ASLAV (from now on ASLAV 1A2) was to be a direct Western equivalent to the Soviet/Russian design - an amphibious, 4x4, light reconnaissance vehicle.

Quick check with the upper hull against the ASLAV 1A2 shows the BRDM to be the slightly larger of the 2 vehicles.

I'll probably build the BRDM-2 as a Ukrainian vehicle & put it in a dio with the ASLAV 1A2, in some form of joint operation.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »
OK, decals are on this. too! :D

As with the HMBLT they fought me all the way but they'll do. ::)

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2016, 10:41:48 PM »
As with all the best whiffys it actually looks realistic! Awesome build and love the Aussie colour scheme

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2016, 07:41:49 AM »
I think there was a discussion about them on Armorama (?) & I think it was Yaroslav (Live Resin) who put up a pic they have of one they are working on.

If they bring it out I'm buying half-a-dozen, at least! :)

Guy, take a close look at the parts runners in this Italeri 1:35th scale Modern Battle Accessories Kit (#6423) review at CyberModeler.  The one MANPATGM looks like it might be a Javalin but it is missing the CLU (Command Launch Unit).  There are three ATGM tubes/containers included in the kit.  One of these is definitely the FGM-77 (M47) Dragon and the other looks like the BGM-71 TOW missile canister-tube.  While the third tube could very well be the FGM-148 Javelin missile tube-canister (or something else).  The CLU part is what makes the Javelin easy to identify and I do not see that part in the kit. 

***edit for additional information. 

Guy, it appears that ProArt Models resin also includes two FGM-148 Javelin tubes in one of their modern equipment sets for tarting up the Trumpeter FMTV to make it one of those SOCOM support vehicles.  Found them by accident this evening while inspecting the purchases I made at the last model show. 

No CLU unfortunately :(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:46:10 PM by Jeffry Fontaine »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2016, 09:21:55 AM »
Thanks, Jeff! :)

I might have a look at them - or get around to contacting Yaroslav/Live Resin to see where they're at on theirs.

I can wait. It's going to be a bolt-on unit, so I can add it at any time. ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2016, 06:50:57 PM »
OK, this one is (with the exception of the commander, who can come later) done! :icon_music:

Photo's tomorrow.

The HMBLT will have to wait a little longer, while I do a couple of builds for a GB over on What If.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:27:27 PM by Old Wombat »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2016, 11:24:26 AM »
We apologise for the unexpected delay. There has been a minor technical issue which we are working to rectify as soon as possible.

F@<&!#g Photobucket!!!!! :icon_twisted:

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2016, 03:03:50 PM »
http://photobucket.com/

When they stop showing me this I'll upload my pic's. ::)